MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Quarterback controversy

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Quarterback controversy

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:16 am

Bielema sat Danny O'Brien in the second half on Saturday in favor of redshirt freshman Joel Stave, a former walk-on from Greenfield. Stave didn't do much, but unlike O'Brien, he held on to the ball.

Many fans put O'Brien together with Russell Wilson due to the arrival of both as experienced ACC QBs with something to prove. But whereas Wilson was immediately impressive with not just his ability, but his drive and personality, O'Brien has been, well, not so impressive. He appears to have ability, but there's not much there beyond that. There aren't many players like Russell Wilson, but add to that the absence of QB mentor Paul Chryst, whose film sessions with Wilson last year are legendary.

Stave has the benefit of learning at least some of the game from Chryst and was able to see Wilson's habits up close. And he's confident. But can he make the throws that O'Brien can?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Quarterback controversy

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am

O'Brien likely to retain starter status against UTEP

I wonder if he'll play the whole game.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 am

Stave didn't do much to earn a start this week. I suspected he was put in just to shake things up and was expecting O'Brien to start again this week.

Ugly win Saturday night, Cal Poly flashbacks and all.

Much more interested in next Monday nights game.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am

Stave has a better arm, so I'd argue that he can probably make some of the throws that DOB can't. The coaching staff certainly didn't trust Joel with anything more than the most basic passes, though, or they would have called for a simple play-action pass when Utah St had 8 guys in the box, with the other 3 creeping up. There really is no substitute for game experience, where Danny clearly has the upper hand, so it's not a huge surprise that he'll be back under center.

It doesn't matter who starts at QB, though, if they continue to get ABSOLUTELY ZERO HELP from the worst UW offensive line I've seen in ages, a WR corps that(especially without Abbrederis) is fit for D3 and terrible play-calling. Losing Nick Toon hurts more than I thought, plus a couple other receivers(Hammond, Williams) that were supposed to be in the mix have been banged up.

I have no faith at all in this offense right now, but the defense is playing fairly well. The secondary did a damned good job Saturday night, and, if a pass rush eventually develops, the defense might be good enough to salvage what seems to be a team that is going to struggle to make a bowl game.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:52 am

Don't forget they lost Peter Konz as well. Arguably the best center last year.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 pm

I just hope O'Brien doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Allan Everidge. Before the season I was looking forward to the Nebraska game. Now I'm dreading it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I find it interesting that the two major polls have Wisconsin in much different positions. The AP poll ranks them at 36 while the coaches poll puts the Badgers at number 24.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:34 pm

This is why coaches(or, more likely, the sports information director) shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's an absolute joke to be ranked in the Top 25, let alone ahead of Oregon State.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I find it interesting that the two major polls have Wisconsin in much different positions. The AP poll ranks them at 36 while the coaches poll puts the Badgers at number 24.

Interesting commentary on the coaches poll last week (don't remember where I read it though). Coaches poll is anonymous till the last week, where as an AP voter is going to get some serious hate mail if their vote makes no sense.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Votes from Big 10 coaches/sids probably went to Wisconsin, so if their teams beat us they would look better in future polls.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 pm

And Joel Stave will be your starter on Saturday against UTEP. You saw it here third (I saw it two other places before posting this).

Number 2 on your program, number one in your (clear eyes, full) hearts!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking