MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

20 dollar cardboard bicycle

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

20 dollar cardboard bicycle

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 am

It's waterproof and extremely durable (or so the inventor says). A $20 bike with no metal parts made mainly with cardboard.

Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 20 dollar cardboard bicycle

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 am

looks interesting, and with all those flat surfaces I could see paying for free to use ones through advertising. My only question would be how they held up through hard use and how comfy they were to ride.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26 am

This article says it would be about 20 bucks once it got to mass production stage.

That has the potential to kick b-cycle in the ass. But then they could probably make the switch to the twenty dollar bicycle dispensing machine.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am

rabble wrote:This article says it would be about 20 bucks once it got to mass production stage.

That has the potential to kick b-cycle in the ass. But then they could probably make the switch to the twenty dollar bicycle dispensing machine.

It sounds like $20 is just the top end of what they would want it retailing for. Costs for materials is $9 and the inventor think most of that could be covered by Government subsidies for green initiatives.

I wonder if anyone has explored the idea of giving school children free bikes to encourage outdoor activities. It seems like these would be a great model for such a program.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:41 am

I think you overestimate the damage the Republicans will be able to do. Labor and other assembly costs are still large factors as is demand. Nine for parts, five for labor, three for factory operation, three for profit.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

rabble wrote:I think you overestimate the damage the Republicans will be able to do. Labor and other assembly costs are still large factors as is demand. Nine for parts, five for labor, three for factory operation, three for profit.

wasn't estimating anything, numbers were from the article
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 pm

It doesn't sound like 20 dollars will the top end. It sounds like 20 bucks will be market value. 9 bucks even with subsidies is still a big chunk of 20.

So there.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 pm

rabble wrote:It doesn't sound like 20 dollars will the top end. It sounds like 20 bucks will be market value. 9 bucks even with subsidies is still a big chunk of 20.

So there.

Elmish said the business model they had created meant that rebates for using "green" materials would entirely cancel out production costs and this could allow for bicycles to be given away for free in poor countries.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
rabble wrote:It doesn't sound like 20 dollars will the top end. It sounds like 20 bucks will be market value. 9 bucks even with subsidies is still a big chunk of 20.

So there.

Elmish said the business model they had created meant that rebates for using "green" materials would entirely cancel out production costs and this could allow for bicycles to be given away for free in poor countries.

Oh, okay. You're thinking outside the US. I was thinking Madison.

Fine. You win. Here's a cookie.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:23 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:

So there.

Oh, okay. You're thinking outside the US. I was thinking Madison.

Fine. You win. Here's a cookie.

keep the cookie, I was thinking Madison (or Milwaukee) as well. My thoughts were, with green subsidies and sponsorship, there is no reason it why kid's couldn't be given free bikes of this sort.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Coincidentally, the WSJ has an article today about Wheels for Winners:
Wheels for Winners takes donated used bicycles, refurbishes them, and gives away between 150 and 175 of them a year, mostly to low-income children. To qualify, children must complete 15 hours of community service or read and report on five books.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/arou ... z29P0es1vb

This is an option for kids in Madison, today. There are similar programs around the country.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 pm

This $9 materials claim must be based on some strange reasoning. As pictured, that bike has $40+ worth of tires on it (at retail cost). Also, it has conventional metal pedals, headset, brake calipers, brake levers (one dummy lever) and brake cable/wire. You're not going to source all that stuff for $9 even if you're already in Taiwan. Plus it looks like it would be incredibly uncomfortable to ride.

I predict that this bike will never exist as anything other than a proof-of-concept.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:11 am

From the article:
Once ready for production, the bicycle will include no metal parts, even the brake mechanism and the wheel and pedal bearings will be made of recycled substances, although Gafni said he could not yet reveal those details due to pending patent issues.

...the solid tires that are made of reconstituted rubber from old car tires will never get a puncture...

...a car timing belt is used instead of a chain, and the tires do not need inflating and can last for 10 years...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

jman, you win. I didn't RTFA, after seeing a video of this guy last week. Anyway, I stand by my prediction that this thing ain't gonna happen.

Solid rubber tires have been tried, they have terrible ride quality and are heavier than air-filled tires. But they don't go flat, which is good.

And why can't this bike have metal bike parts made from recycled metal? Metal (steel, aluminum) is among the best of materials in terms of recycling resource payoff. Why not a recycled-metal bicycle frame? That's probably happening already to some degree.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:54 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:And why can't this bike have metal bike parts made from recycled metal? Metal (steel, aluminum) is among the best of materials in terms of recycling resource payoff. Why not a recycled-metal bicycle frame? That's probably happening already to some degree.

Ease and portability of manufacturing?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking