MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

20 dollar cardboard bicycle

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: 20 dollar cardboard bicycle

Postby massimo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I agree with Arturo. It's not like this guy took a regular ol' cardboard box and fashioned a bike. There is some real manufacturing going on here. The bike is more polymer than wood, and I award the inventor zero points.

Ok, two points for his DIY spirit and tenacity.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

massimo wrote:The bike is more polymer than wood
Yes, good point. The cardboard is really just a substrate that keeps the polymer in place while it sets.

I think it might be worthwhile to see where else this inventor's cardboard/polymer composite might be useful. Just because it makes a god-awful bike doesn't mean it wouldn't make a nice end table, playhouse, or lightweight codpiece.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Are you guys assuming the cardboard is liquified with polymer and then molded?

Check out the video here. I don't think he's building it they way you think he's building it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 pm

rabble wrote:Are you guys assuming the cardboard is liquified with polymer and then molded?

Check out the video here. I don't think he's building it they way you think he's building it.
I saw the video, but thanks for linking. The "waterproof resin" mentioned in your link is the polymer that we're talking about - it's sprayed/spread on the complete cardboard bike part (a laminate of corrugated cardboard). Like with carbon fiber, this resin matrix is key to the rigidity and durability of the final product.

In the video, around 2:15, the inventor is applying an early iteration of this polymer. Doesn't look like a very eco-friendly process in that stage of development! There are probably better/cleaner polymer resins out there, so I'll give him a break on this one.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Works for helmets too according to wired.com.

Kranium is a bike helmet that is made from the same cardboard used for the boxes you find at the supermarket. This material, along with some clever construction, turns out to be a lot better at absorbing impact than the more usual polystyrene-filled lids.

Anirudha Surabhi’s design absorbs four times more impact energy that the polystyrene equivalent, and — unlike regular helmets which break on impact — it survives longer. One Kranium was smashed five times in a row and still passed the British Standard (EN 1078) test.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Sandi, nice link. In this case, the cardboard material is designed to deform in order to absorb the energy of an impact. That is the opposite of the desired material response in a bicycle, which should either absorb the impact energy without irreversible deformation, or be stiff enough to transmit the energy to some other component, which might be a suspension system or the rider's ass.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:50 pm

...which should either absorb the impact energy without irreversible deformation, or be stiff enough to transmit the energy to some other component, which might be a suspension system or the rider's ass.

Which in this case (saw no suspnesion) would have to be the riders ass. :lol:
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Every 18 months or so, somebody invents a new bicycle that is 100% green, that will revolutionize society, just as soon as we completely overhaul the industrial economy and change the way people think about everything.

Conventional steel bikes can't cost more than $20 to make, if they can be sold at Wal-Mart for $100.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking