MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Running with no impact

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Running with no impact

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 am

I would defiantly love to have an Eliptigo. It would be an eye catcher on the bike paths.

... but the price is way out of my retirement income range. *Sigh* I will stick to riding my Trek.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Running with no impact

Postby Galoot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:26 am

I'm well over 200 lb, and I can run without any adverse impact on my joints, and I can even do that barefoot. In fact, running barefoot is how I learned to run with minimal impact.

If you don't like running, fine. Just don't spread the myth that "running is bad for your joints". We don't need crazy expensive contraptions like that to get good exercise.

Sticking with the Trek is a great idea, of course. But you could also just walk 5 or so miles a day, and get most of the benefits of running.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 am

Just don't spread the myth that "running is bad for your joints".

I'm not, nor do I run: although I doubt it is all myth. Sorry if you got that impression.

My tenant runs, and has a problem with his calves hurting for days. He thought it was impact and bought a $125 pair of shoes, but my guess it poor leg circulation. He isn't a spring chicken for ages.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 am

Just ride a bike.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 am

Huh, sorry for your tenant. That would suck, and would make me want to stop running completely. If it hurts that much, I simply won't do it.

Expensive shoes won't cure any running problems. Learning how to run with proper form can help many such problems, but not all, of course.

Calf pain is an odd one. I hear about it the most when someone first tries running barefoot, or in Vibram fivefingers, and does too much too soon. You have to run a bit more on your toes when you run barefoot (although you eventually end up running on the midfoot when you get the hang of it). And when you do that and aren't used to it, your calves hurt a lot, sometimes for days.

But I doubt your tenant is trying this switch to minimalist running, if he is also thinking of spending $125 on a pair of running shoes.

Something that might help a lot is a foam roller, they are sold at most exercise equipment stores in the U.S (but not here in Brazil, unfortunately). Rolling works wonders for dealing with calf pain, in my experience.

I think most who try running and give up would do a lot better with long walks. If you live on the East Side, you probably saw former East High teacher Mark Brand walking all over town this last summer. He is over 60, and does at least 50 miles of walking every week. He was able to do close to that mileage even when he was still teaching at East--during lunch in the winter he would do laps around the 1st floor of East. He can still run a bit, but not 50 miles a week, so he walks it instead.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am

I hear about it the most when someone first tries running barefoot, or in Vibram fivefingers, and does too much too soon. You have to run a bit more on your toes when you run barefoot (although you eventually end up running on the midfoot when you get the hang of it).

He has been running several miles for at least 10 years that I know of. Nearly every weekday in the summer weather permitting. His problem only started the end of last year.

The reason guessed circulation is because I have poor circulation in one leg, and if I even walk more than a couple of blocks that calf ache something fierce.

I only posted this because I think the Eliptigo is really cool, even if I will never have one. I don't run, but have a spare room setup with lots of equipment ( about $3000 worth).
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking