MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 11.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby acereraser » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Here we go again. Just when I was getting used to the thought of Gasser handling the point, not Marshall, the situation changes. From what I saw at the exhibition game, Marshall will be entirely capable, with some wincing due to lack of experience expected. I think Gasser's absence will be exposed more on the defensive end, but moving from Taylor to Marshall may already be a wash, defensively. Jackson has a kind of commanding presence on the floor, and I have no doubt he will get plenty of time.

No other real insights to be had from the game. Berggren and Big Frank on the floor at the same time is cool. Bo mentioned to the media that Frank is the most improved player from last year. The new Bohannon will probably get some tough rebounds while Bruiser heals.

And, oh yeah, Dekker had one out-of-nowhere rebound that showed immediately what to expect from him.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2012-2013 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

C'mon now, Acer. The Badgers haven't started their season yet, have they? I mean, they played Oshkosh West the other night (I'm told they actually charged admission), but their first game is Sunday against a directional school from Louisianna.

I really want to see how they'll do against Florida.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:I mean, they played Oshkosh West the other night (I'm told they actually charged admission), but their first game is Sunday against a directional school from Louisianna.

For someone that tweets about Edgewood College basketball I'm surprised you'd take a shot at UW-Oshkosh like that.

Obviously an exhibition game isn't the best way to judge a team but you go on what you have got. Actual non-conference play in the NCAA starts tonight and #1 Indiana is playing Bryant University. I don't even know what direction that school is from.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Good Lord, people, can we finally come to an agreement on Aaron Rodgers' diva status before delving into a basketball season that hasn't even had it's official first game?

Jason, do you long for the days of those epic battles against Athletes in Action?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:39 pm

O.J. wrote:Good Lord, people, can we finally come to an agreement on Aaron Rodgers' diva status before delving into a basketball season that hasn't even had it's official first game?

Jason, do you long for the days of those epic battles against Athletes in Action?

I like the UW school games personally as compared to what they had in the past. Would have been fun to see them play UWSP when Bennett's brother was still there though - that had at least a chance of being an interesting game.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:43 am

My tickets to the Oshkosh game cost the same as the the tickets to the Ohio State game. The season has started.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 am

There is a UW Men's basketball game in the Kohl center Sunday at 1pm against NE Louisiana. Does anyone know if that will make parking in the Lake St ramps difficult, and do they charge the $5 special event rate?

I'm going to the Chazen at 1:30 and wondering if there will be any parking nearby. Attendance was 16,500 to just see them play UW Oshksosh.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:55 am

I love D-III basketball. LOVE it. Can't wait to get back to the EdgeDome this year.

But when the non-scholarship student athletes at Edgewood play the non-scholarship student athletes at, say, Lakeland, it's a fair game, a blast to watch and a true test for the players on both teams. When Wisconsin takes on UW-Oshkosh, it's not a fair fight. Even worse, writers attempt to draw some conclusions for those games, as though we'll EVER see Frank Kaminsky and Evan Anderson on the court at the same time in a real game. As though we'll ever see Evan Anderson on the court.

UW might actually get a game, and a test, from somebody like D-II Winona State, Duluth or St. Cloud. But continuing to schedule WIAC schools allows Bo to continue to trumpet his Platteville record. "I remember taking the bus up to Oshkosh... those were some battles!" We're happy for ya.

I think the exhibition season ought to be eliminated, personally. After initially poo-pooing the practice of scheduling scrimmages against other legit D-I teams, Wisconsin invited DePaul up this year for just that, cutting its exhibition season in half.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:30 am

Man, the Badgers got torched last night. They came out slow and tentative and Florida ran away with it. And why the hell can they not hit free throws now? Dekker was good though.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Most of the game they didn't even look like a Bo Ryan-coached team. I am sure that will change as the season progresses.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I give them credit for scheduling that particular game. Now there will be no doubt what they need to do between now and March.

I like what Dekker brought both on the court and in his postgame remarks. He talked about not being one dimensional and settling for jumpers. Maybe he'll be the leader of this team going forward, driving to the hoop and making defenses play honest. I'm trying to figure out who he reminds me of.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm trying to figure out who he reminds me of.

Kirk Penny?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Dekker reminds me a little of former Buckeye Evan Turner, although his handles aren't quite as good.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 pm

The Badgers got out-Bennetted, at the Kohl Center no less. The rebounding disparity was so painfully visible. The strangest fact of the game was that the Badgers didn't attempt a free throw until the clock was down to about 6:00 in the second half. Berggren did not have his best stuff tonight, and that accounts for some of those numbers, but all the Badgers could have been harder-nosed.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm

acereraser wrote:The Badgers got out-Bennetted, at the Kohl Center no less.

I'm doubtful that the timing of this will work out, but I would love it if Tony Bennett were hired after Bo Ryan retires. I'm thinking that Bo may coach for a while, and Bennett may be pretty settled by that point.

It would also be nice if Mark Johnson gets a crack to coach the Men's hockey team at some point.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking