MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: yes!!! Arkansas to hire Bret Bielema

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

The state of college football now is that the real national title game is played in November - the SEC title game.

Not if you don't give a god damn about the SEC, or the BCS for that matter. To me the only thing that matters is the trip to Pasadena. I'm sure I'm not alone.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

O.J. wrote: But I think the level of competition he'll face more than outweighs this.

But is higher competition a plus or minus for his career? A risk taker sees the opportunity side. Playing on bigger stage can bring challenge, glory and money over long haul.

I take your point on the guaranteed money in the today's contracts. But Bielema had relative job security in Madison over long haul.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Update: Wisconsin has sold 15,000 Rose Bowl tickets to Stanford's 35,000. Granted, Stanford is in California and its alum are closer, but that didn't stop Wisco from out-drawing UCLA years ago.

The truth is that a five-loss season meant Bielema pre-empted discussions about how hot his chair would be going into 2013, regardless of the Rose Bowl. Rose Bowl ticket sales are a direct indication of fan sentiment/interest. That can't lag if the UW hopes to keep building facilities.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 pm

O.J. wrote:Wisconsin was 2 Hail Mary's away from playing in the National Championship last year.

In retrospect, Russell Wilson was a fluke that did have a chance to move a good (not great) team into a national title game.

If JJ Watt had stuck around another year, maybe they might even have had a championship caliber team.

I don't think the Badgers, or any Big 10 team except Ohio State, have a realistic shot of winning a national championship in forseeable future.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:
O.J. wrote: But I think the level of competition he'll face more than outweighs this.

But is higher competition a plus or minus for his career? A risk taker sees the opportunity side. Playing on bigger stage can bring challenge, glory and money over long haul.

I take your point on the guaranteed money in the today's contracts. But Bielema had relative job security in Madison over long haul.

No offense, Huck, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Bielema assured Dan he’s in it for the long run at Arkansas, and said the contract is written that way.

You can listen to the interview with Dan Patrick, if you'd like, and hear Bielema backtrack on the issue of it being easier to win at Arkansas.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2012/12/07/br ... -arkansas/
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Huckleby wrote: I don't follow college football in general

I think we can all agree with that.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Huckleby wrote: Playing on bigger stage can bring challenge, glory and money over long haul.

I thought it wasn't about the money.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:29 pm

I think he's gonna fit right in in Arkansas
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:29 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
The state of college football now is that the real national title game is played in November - the SEC title game.

Not if you don't give a god damn about the SEC, or the BCS for that matter. To me the only thing that matters is the trip to Pasadena. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Hey my threshold is even more humble: I want them to have a competitive team.

I miss the era of Big 10 - Pac 10 annual showdown in the "granddaddy of them all." That was better than a national championship.

To change subject slightly, I don't see how anybody can take much interest in the national college football scene. It's 100% horse race reporting 100% of the time. There are 6000 or so division I football players. The starting rosters turn-over by a third each and every season. I am interested in the players themselves, developing loyalties and following their progression. I can sort-of keep up with the badger players. I watch some Big Ten games, so I am aware of a lot of the star players in the Big Ten. With Big Ten expansion, I dont think I'll have any loyalty to the Big Ten anymore.

Following the national college football game is no different than checking the stock indexes on the business page.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:31 pm

O.J. wrote:
Huckleby wrote: Playing on bigger stage can bring challenge, glory and money over long haul.

I thought it wasn't about the money.

I put money third on the list.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:33 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Image

I think he's gonna fit right in in Arkansas

That's a WI belly right there.

I've had some short conversations with Bielema at the Curve diner on Park Street. That is somewhat of a football player hangout, maybe because the owner played for the Badgers. (jock-sniffer alert!)

He's a very smart and charming guy, I like him personally.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

O.J. wrote:No offense, Huck, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

No offense taken. I'll just try to keep up with your more expert analysis.
Last edited by Huckleby on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

I've had some short conversations with Bielema at the Curve diner on Park Street.

I've seen him drunk and puking at the Dry Bean. Generally surrounded by underage girls. I don't like the guy, if you couldn't tell.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:36 pm

You're a little too certain in your beliefs, Huck, for someone who admittedly doesn't follow college football.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

O.J. wrote:You're a little too certain in your beliefs, Huck, for someone who admittedly doesn't follow college football.

Oh, I catch enough of the sports shows to know what's going on, watch the 4th quarter of some national games, but I don't keep track of the horse race. Guess I have gotten bored with most of the games.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking