MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Rose Bowl

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Rose Bowl

Postby Huckleby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 am

What are the Badgers' prospects?

My best guess is that the team will be distracted by all the changes. Most of the position coaches are leaving after the game - how can the coaches be focused? It's hard to know how the players will react, but they are on a roller coaster.

I was listening to Gerry DiNardo, Big Ten Analyst, on Mike Lucas's talk show. He says he will be surprised if Badgers don't win because Stanford is their kind of opponent.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rose Bowl

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 pm

If they come in with the same aggressiveness and determination that they showed in the Big 10 title game, they have a good chance. Stanford is very good, but the Badgers have some of the intangibles going for them....not the least of which is that they are sick of losing Rose Bowls. And you can bet with their record, no one, but no one, plays the no respect underdog card better than Barry Alvarez.

So at a minimum, I expect them to play well enough to win. Under Bielema that wasn't always enough. Glad it's Barry coaching this one.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Let's keep in mind that our 8-5 Badgers lost three games in overtime, including a game against Ohio State who could very well be playing in the National Championship if not for the NCAA sanctions. The Badgers only two losses in regulation were both by a field goal. It sounds strange to say it, but our 8-5 Badgers are a few plays from being undefeated.

And you can bet that Stanford's coaching staff is making sure their players know that.

Not only do I think Wisconsin can win this game, I think they should, at least if the same team shows up that played in the Big Ten Championship. Bielema can suck it... dude was always finding a way to lose.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am

Ahhh, Brett Bulimia was a damn good coach. The Badgers lost to Oregon, a superior team, by a touchdown in last Rose Bowl.

Probably the Badgers should have beat TCU the previous year. But loss is hardly a disgrace, Andy Dalton was an off-the-charts college QB, as good as Russell Wilson. TCU had a good game plan to isolate JJ Watt.

I expect Barry Alvarez will be the ideal person to be a figurehead coach for the Rose Bowl, he will rally the troops as best as can be done. My concern is that the coordinators, who will really be running the show, are lame ducks. Well, I suppose all the Senior players in bowl games are lame ducks too. We'll just have to see how focused the whole package is.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 am

Badgers played a damn good game, and it was an entertaining watch.

Most of the second half I was screaming at the TV, demanding that Matt Canada open up the offense a little. But then they try and throw it down field, and Curt Phillips throws it into the arms of the defenders, and it's just a case of whether they catch it or not.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:16 am

Huckleby wrote:Most of the second half I was screaming at the TV, demanding that Matt Canada open up the offense a little. But then they try and throw it down field, and Curt Phillips throws it into the arms of the defenders, and it's just a case of whether they catch it or not.

Yeah - I saw that he is pursuing a 6th year of eligibility due to injuries. He sure seems like a stand-up guy who is tough as nails, but we are not going to have Montee Ball next year, and having a QB that can throw down field might help open up holes for Gordon and White.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:36 am

Come again?

According to Canada, the plan was to use Stave when/if necessary.

Okay, Coach Canada, please explain the unique circumstances that necessitated the switch to Stave for two, and only two, plays.

Not playing Joel Stave ruined any chance we had of winning the Rose Bowl. You can't expect to win games against quality teams like that with a poor man's Mike Samuel at quarterback. It's quite easy to play defense when you know you're going up against a Pop Warner playbook.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Rose Blow.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am

In retrospect, the results not just for the Rose Bowl but the whole season were pretty obvious. Talent at the quarterback position is just so important, both for the NFL and the elite college level. The Badgers had a double whammy. The quarterbacks (other than Stave) aren't particularly good passers, and they only had one good consistent receiving threat.

The rest of the team can be great, but in this day and age if you don't have a legitimate pass offense, you won't do much better than 8-6. I wonder how much different things would have been if Stave had remained healthy. But then I remember that the receiving corps uses crab claws for hands and have to conclude it probably wouldn't have made much difference.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 am

Michael Patrick wrote:Rose Blow.

Nah. Come on, the 30th ranked team took it to the 3rd ranked team. The game was essentially a draw, with a few big plays and blown calls (especially the non-call on roughing the punter) making the difference.

Although I agree it felt awful when they lost in the end. Happy fucking New Years.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 am

They were in the game with a chance to win. Not sure what more I could ask for given the strength of the opponent. Maybe Stave would have done better, maybe he would have gotten sacked and picked. Barry stuck to his gameplan and it was almost enough. The WR core this year was pretty awful.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

O.J. wrote:Not playing Joel Stave ruined any chance we had of winning the Rose Bowl. You can't expect to win games against quality teams like that with a poor man's Mike Samuel at quarterback. It's quite easy to play defense when you know you're going up against a Pop Warner playbook.

I was thinking the same. On Stave, could it be that he was only borderline healthy to play, so they wanted to limit his snaps? Not sure that explanation makes any sense.

They only ran screen plays in long yardage situations where they were predictable and ineffective. But for the most part, it was probably the lack of talent at QB position more than lack of imagination at OC that limited the playbook.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am

Huckleby wrote:
O.J. wrote:Not playing Joel Stave ruined any chance we had of winning the Rose Bowl. You can't expect to win games against quality teams like that with a poor man's Mike Samuel at quarterback. It's quite easy to play defense when you know you're going up against a Pop Warner playbook.

I was thinking the same. On Stave, could it be that he was only borderline healthy to play, so they wanted to limit his snaps? Not sure that explanation makes any sense.

I agree; that explanation makes no sense. The doctors cleared him to play, there were practice reports that stated he was throwing the ball extremely well, plus he threw a perfect ball that Abby dropped.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Fire Matt Canada!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking