MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

skiing slash snowboarding

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

skiing slash snowboarding

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

My kid likes to snowboard and I've been with him once, a parent/child lesson deal at Tyrol when he was 7. Our group was pretty confined to trying to remain upright on the beginner hill and didn't mix much with the general population. That was the last time I strapped a board of any type to my feet and pointed it down a hill.

I think it's been about 20 years since I've been skiing.

So my question is, if I'm going to Tyrol on Friday night, should I rent skis? Anybody done this recently? What's the status of the equipment? I'd dive right into snowboarding, but as I recall from my brief experience, it didn't really "take" with me.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: skiing slash snowboarding

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Make sure you have your footing right. Pretend you're running at a patch of ice and want to slide on it. The foot you naturally want to put forward in the slide is your dominant foot -- make sure that one is pointed down the hill. That seems to have the biggest effect on learning.

Spend most of the day sideslipping the smaller runs. Your calves, shins, and quads are gonna burn like hell, but you'll be able to get down most runs safely once you're comfortable doing this. Don't put you're hands down to catch yourself falling. Take your bumps on your ass, elbows, knees, and forearms. Wrist breaks are really common for beginners who fall and try to take the brunt with their hands.

I went back to skiing about 8 years ago after a solid 10 snowboarding. I still rent a board for fun every once in a while when I want to slide down the hill but my knees are being sore bastards and they need a break. I suck a lot now but I still have a lot of fun. The boards and boots at Tyrol are pretty decent quality for the hell they get put through.

Otherwise rent the skis and keep up with the kids, they're pretty decent rentals compared to other hills I've been to. Have fun!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: skiing slash snowboarding

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Make sure you have your footing right. Pretend you're running at a patch of ice and want to slide on it. The foot you naturally want to put forward in the slide is your dominant foot -- make sure that one is pointed down the hill. That seems to have the biggest effect on learning.

Spend most of the day sideslipping the smaller runs. Your calves, shins, and quads are gonna burn like hell, but you'll be able to get down most runs safely once you're comfortable doing this. Don't put you're hands down to catch yourself falling. Take your bumps on your ass, elbows, knees, and forearms. Wrist breaks are really common for beginners who fall and try to take the brunt with their hands.

I went back to skiing about 8 years ago after a solid 10 snowboarding. I still rent a board for fun every once in a while when I want to slide down the hill but my knees are being sore bastards and they need a break. I suck a lot now but I still have a lot of fun. The boards and boots at Tyrol are pretty decent quality for the hell they get put through.

Otherwise rent the skis and keep up with the kids, they're pretty decent rentals compared to other hills I've been to. Have fun!

-Dan Motor

Yup.

I went skiing a few years ago for the first time in about 15 years and was shocked at how easily it came back to me. Jason, you've mentioned ice skating quite a few times, so is it safe to assume you know how to hockey stop? If so, you'll shouldn't have any problem getting back into the swing of things, except for the soreness that Endo mentioned. You'll rediscover muscles you forgot you even had.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking