MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Baseball!!!!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Baseball!!!!

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 am

What bullpen? The Brewers relievers suck.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am

I think they've got plenty of talent as compared to last year. What I don't understand is (a) why you would start with an excessively huge 8-man pen in the first place and (b) how the manager can be complaining that they are all worn out after one week of the season. Both of those points scream "utterly abysmal mismanagement" to me.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am

minicat wrote:I think they've got plenty of talent as compared to last year. What I don't understand is (a) why you would start with an excessively huge 8-man pen in the first place and (b) how the manager can be complaining that they are all worn out after one week of the season. Both of those points scream "utterly abysmal mismanagement" to me.

The Brewers had a ton of guys suit up for the World Baseball Classic, which helps partially explain the tired arms in the bullpen, but...Axford is completely lost right now. His loss of command brings back memories of Derrick Turnbow.

This is not a well-constructed team. To replace Hart at first base, they bring in a guy who has never played the position before, yet would be perfectly suited to serve as the utility infielder. More baffling, they bring back Yuni to be their utility infielder, but the guy simply can't field ANY position.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 am

O.J. wrote:The Brewers had a ton of guys suit up for the World Baseball Classic, which helps partially explain the tired arms in the bullpen, but...Axford is completely lost right now. His loss of command brings back memories of Derrick Turnbow.

As does the manager saying one day he's the closer and then rescinding that the next day. Mismanagement was a big part of Turnbow's collapse.

The WBC should be a non-issue with the bullpen "tiredness" for the most part. Henderson was the only other pen participant.

O.J. wrote:This is not a well-constructed team. To replace Hart at first base, they bring in a guy who has never played the position before, yet would be perfectly suited to serve as the utility infielder. More baffling, they bring back Yuni to be their utility infielder, but the guy simply can't field ANY position.

Part of these issues are injuries (Gamel was supposed to be the first base cover, but blew up). But otherwise ... more mismanagement. Some of that goes to Melvin as well, as there is absolutely no excuse for any team that's ever watched Yucky Barfancrap play on a regular basis to bring him back.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Two and seven? As in 2 and fucking 7? Thank God for Miami. They're 1 and 9. Losers. A poorly managed team of rubber armed, batless bums if there ever was one. And we have one more win than them? Sorry Yogi, sometimes it's over before it starts. On a more positive note, we're starting to get beat by a better class of teams. Oh, and don't forget, we have twice as many wins as Miami!
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:53 pm

O.J. wrote: More baffling, they bring back Yuni to be their utility infielder...

Ahem.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 am

A nice little run by Yuni isn't enough to erase a career of futility, Henry. Enjoy it while it lasts.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 am

Exactly. Even a blind squirrel hits a grand slam occasionally. Let's trade him to the cubs while the market's hot.

I did enjoy the game last night, where Roenicke's crap move in the 9th (bunting Gonzalez) was out-crapped by Bochy INTENTIONALLY WALKING YUCKY B.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 am

minicat wrote:Exactly. Even a blind squirrel hits a grand slam occasionally. Let's trade him to the cubs while the market's hot.

Haven't you heard? the Cubs aren't picking up others' garbage anymore.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

they should make an exception. I've never seen another modern player as utterly Cub-like as Betancourt.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am

minicat wrote:they should make an exception. I've never seen another modern player as utterly Cub-like as Betancourt.

Sure you have: the Brewers "star" third baseman.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

You mean the one that's injured? He's pretty cub-like at the moment. heh.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

How quickly we forget Henry Rowengartner...
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 am

minicat wrote:You mean the one that's injured? He's pretty cub-like at the moment. heh.

That's the one! When (if) he eventually comes back, he'll go on a tear for 2-3 weeks, then either fall off completely or go back on the DL.

Good luck finding a Cub fan who was sad to see him go... to most, his signing with the Brewers was a double plus!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 am

I've always thought Aramis was more good than bad ... he has always been streaky, though. I know he was pretty bad at the end there with the Cubs, but he sure killed the Brewers at times over the years.

He certainly had a vintage year last season for the Crew, though. I figure as far as being hurt in April, he always takes that month off anyway. We'll see if he gets healthy or if he's finally fading for real.

So, you've been paying more attention than me to what Epstein's up to ... is he straightening things out for real? The fact the team didn't do a Melvin (panic and sign a bunch of washed up guys) in the off season seemed like a good sign for Cubs fans.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking