MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Baseball!!!!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Baseball!!!!

Postby O.J. » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am

Theo's first order of business was finding a suitable replacement for Carlos Zambrano for the clubhouse.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am

Juan Marichal's never gonna live down that Roseboro clocking. It was the first thing I thought of when I started reading that story, and of course he was mentioned a few grafs later.

I totally forgot the Cubs endured Milton Bradley. At least Melvin hasn't signed him. Yet.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 am

minicat wrote:So, you've been paying more attention than me to what Epstein's up to ... is he straightening things out for real? The fact the team didn't do a Melvin (panic and sign a bunch of washed up guys) in the off season seemed like a good sign for Cubs fans.

Here's the thing... on paper, in the news, Theo is doing the right things. I think the Hendry years were about building the Cubs as a brand, not a competitive baseball team. big names grew the brand whether the Cubs won or not.

Theo seems intent on building an actual baseball team. I don't see a WS coming yet, but if Theo's really given the 5-7 years the Ricketts promised to develop the team, he'll build a solid team.

I also believe that Dale Sveum will turn out to be the best Cub manager I've ever seen. I think his style and knowledge are exactly what the Theo's ideas need.

But somehow, the same stupid shit keeps happening on the field: a couple early runs followed by complete offensive shutdown; excellent starting pitching performances ruined by poor relief work; revolving door closers; defensive bungles by players who are clearly talented but not entirely engaged.

Doesn't seem to matter who is in the front office, or in the dugout, or on the field, the same dumb stuff happens. I'm a Cubs fan for nearly 40 years, and for the first time I'm really starting to wonder about that damned goat.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 am

wack wack wrote:I'm a Cubs fan for nearly 40 years, and for the first time I'm really starting to wonder about that damned goat.

Any thoughts on what the motivation might have been for the recent bloody goat head delivery to Wrigley?

A dark cloud on Theo & Co.'s horizon might be the recent rule changes about claiming and then overpaying for (in order to stockpile) draft picks-- or at least that's what some of the Chicago media seemed to think in the off season.

I'm supremely disappointed in Rizzo's progress, but it's still early. A good two months until the traditional June Swoon.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

scratch wrote:I'm supremely disappointed in Rizzo's progress, but it's still early. A good two months until the traditional June Swoon.

I completely agree... just another in a long line of "saviors" that fail to save. Rizzo keeps everyone's hopes up with long balls. has he singled yet this year?

Then there's Castro... hard to think of another player who's ability and attention to the game are so far apart. Damn, what the kid could be...

And Marmol... enough is enough. He's proven himself to be mentally weak, and this is a case where "uncertainty" really does play a role. He needs to stay out of the closer role for a long time. I hope Sveum has the balls to do it.

The team needs head work. Perhaps they should Dr. Phil as a bench coach.

Yep, there's another Cub constant: "but it's still early." It will stay that way until the end of the June Swoon, when "wait 'til next year" kicks in.

<sigh>
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:45 pm

wack wack wrote:Then there's Castro... hard to think of another player who's ability and attention to the game are so far apart. Damn, what the kid could be...

Look no further than Carlos Gomez.

Yeah, Sveum should be a really good manager. I would have been much happier if the Brewers had not let him get away and installed him as manager rather than Grandpa Macha, who was atrocious. For that matter, same goes for Mike Matheny, both for his playing career and after. As a Brewers fan it's irritating watching them manage the Cubs and Cards.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:38 pm

One problem with keeping Marmol out of the closer's role is that it makes it harder to trade or sell him. OTOH his continued ineptness in the closer's role does the same. I'd like to think he's been bad enough long enough that nobody would give up anything, whether players, draft choices, or cash for him, but then the Angels, Yankees, and various other corporate spendthrifts still exist.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 pm

O.J. wrote:A nice little run by Yuni isn't enough to erase a career of futility, Henry. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ahem redux.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Twenty games in and I'm sold on Segura. His fielding is already golden glove-like and hitting has been Major League. Fast and quick. Don't really know about his power but he's going to be a solid four tool player.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 10, 2013 2:12 pm

After further review, Angel Hernandez called this a strike.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
O.J. wrote:A nice little run by Yuni isn't enough to erase a career of futility, Henry. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ahem redux.

Bump.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am

Then there is Ricky Weeks. Or is that Weaks?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 am

Weeks has been a disaster again this year ... I'm not the only one starting to worry he may just be done.

However, Carlos Gomez is making me eat my words upthread. And Segura is making up for trading Escobar to KC.

Otherwise, the Crew is a disaster at the moment again. I still think Yuni B shoulda been traded while he was hitting a couple weeks ago, and I still think Roenicke needs to go.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Whirlz » Fri May 31, 2013 11:28 am

Someone earlier was wondering why the bullpen had so many players - I guess we know now :?
Whirlz

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking