MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Badger fans: "We was robbed!"

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Badger fans: "We was robbed!"

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote: Yeah no one on that field should have been confused about what the Badgers were doing in that last 18 seconds.

The announcers were confused. I was confused. The opposing defense was confused, or at least had a plausible excuse to pretend to be so. The QB does not do a barely-visible kneel-down then spot the ball himself. Dumb.

The Badgers got jobbed by the refs. I'm less mad than others because they put themselves in a bad position. I expect QBs, play callers, and refs to sometimes make mistakes.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Huck, if you want to blame someone on the Badgers, blame Andersen, not Stave:

“Thirdly, the idea of putting the ball on the ground is to give the officials the opportunity to get the ball spotted quicker and cleaner. The officials, wherever they were, weren’t there to turn around and get the ball. That whole process of Joel looking around, behind him, walking back there -- ‘Where am I going to put the ball, how am I going to put the ball?’ -- that takes time, that takes valuable seconds and moments. Was he instructed to do it the way he did it? Absolutely, yes.”

In fact, Andersen said he used a teaching tape from a game between Nevada and San Diego State for his players, which had an almost identical situation.

“I thought we executed it the right way,” Andersen said. “We have a teaching tape of the exact scenario last year, Nevada-San Diego State. San Diego State takes a knee, there’s 15 seconds left, they get up and they spike it and there’s still three seconds left on the clock to be able to kick the ball.

“The Nevada defensive lineman jumps on the pile, just like they did at Arizona State, so it’s an exact replica, but, obviously, the outcome was a little bit different. I think we handled it well. There were 18 seconds left, you all know the rest.”

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/ ... z2f5coqNpd
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:46 pm

O.J. wrote:
“Thirdly, the idea of putting the ball on the ground is to give the officials the opportunity to get the ball spotted quicker and cleaner. "

Uh huh. The Arizona State coach is still saying that he considers the last play a turnover by his defense. Coaches say stuff to back-up their players.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Sports Talk Sandi wrote:
O.J. wrote:
“Thirdly, the idea of putting the ball on the ground is to give the officials the opportunity to get the ball spotted quicker and cleaner. "

Uh huh. The Arizona State coach is still saying that he considers the last play a turnover by his defense. Coaches say stuff to back-up their players.

Okay, you win. Stave deserves the lion's share of the blame, not the officials.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Huckleby wrote:
O.J. wrote:

But apparently the PAC-12 doesn't do the same for their refs:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... ut-so-what
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Stave placed on the ball on the ground. The ground cannot cause a fumble. Football 101.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm

O.J. wrote: Okay, you win. Stave deserves the lion's share of the blame, not the officials.

I'm not into placing blame. I expect mistakes. My sacred mission is to deflate some of the victimhood, put the loss in context.

From the twitter of Jen Bielema at end of game:
#karma

I find that kinda funny.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Huckleby wrote:
O.J. wrote: Okay, you win. Stave deserves the lion's share of the blame, not the officials.

I'm not into placing blame. I expect mistakes. My sacred mission is to deflate some of the victimhood, put the loss in context.

From the twitter of Jen Bielema at end of game:
#karma

I find that kinda funny.

Why? Did we run her husband out of town or something?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm

She thinks fans were unfair to her husband. I never understood why such a successful coach was so unpopular, I liked the guy.

But who cares.

Coaches have zero loyalty to their teams. Fans shouldn't care about coaches, I suppose.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Huckleby wrote: I never understood why such a successful coach was so unpopular

2 for 7 in bowl games and those were shit bowls. That's not the mark of a successful coach in my opinion.

Huckleby wrote:Coaches have zero loyalty to their teams.

Bullshit.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Gary Andersen called each and every player on his roster to let him know that he was taking the Wisconsin job. Bert told his players to ignore all the rumors of his possible departure, the day before he accepted the Arkansas job. Ask each of their former players about loyalty, Huck.

Gin Bielema's twitter feed is going to explode after every Arkansas loss.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Stave placed on the ball on the ground. The ground cannot cause a fumble. Football 101.

Losing control of the ball is a fumble. The ground cannot cause a fumble applies only when someone's elbow, knee or body touches first or simultaneously. Football 1.0.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Stave had full control of the ball when he placed it on the ground. Thus, no fumble.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm

O.J. wrote:Gary Andersen called each and every player on his roster to let him know that he was taking the Wisconsin job.

OK, fine. He had no loyalty to them or his school, he left to take a better job.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Coaches have zero loyalty to their teams.

Bullshit.

This is a softball. Show me the loyalty.

The acceptable standard now is that coaches don't even stay to the end of the season when they change jobs. Look at the bowl games - about of a quarter of the teams are coached by assistants. Part of that is that schools have little loyalty to coaches and fire them quickly.

I find the ethos where it is ok for the captain to abandon ship in the middle of a voyage revolting.

Where are the loyal coaches? Barry Alvarez stayed at Wisconsin - after two serious flirtations with Miami. His long tenure is unusual.

Brett Bielema became the dean of coaches in the Big Ten after just 7 seasons, or whatever it was. OK, you got Kurt Ferentz down in Iowa.

Coaches are mercenaries looking for the next job, or waiting to be fired. I don't like it, but I guess there are worse problems in the world.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking