MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby acereraser » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Here we go again. Same question as always, how will Bo Ryan spin the straw into gold? And as always, your analysis should be re-calibrated if you would bet against Ryan and the Badgers.

What changes from year to year are the details. Dekker might take a big leap. Trae Jackson is reported to have gotten religion, both literally and figuratively, so how does that affect who will play point guard this year? I am hoping Nigel Hayes grabs many rebounds this year, while shooting free throws without jumping. Brust looks to be the most ready to pick up where he left off. Will anyone join Showalter in the wearing of a red shirt? I also wonder if Frank the Tank can take a season's worth of biggest man punishment, and if not, is that how Evan Anderson will find some personal glory? Hmm.

Well, at any rate, Florida comes to town in less than two weeks, so the picture will get a lot clearer quickly.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2013-2014 Badger Men's Basketball Season Started

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 pm

I guess that answers a lot of questions. Bo Ryan is a fucking magician. That's all there is to it. And the MSU win over Kentucky is a good thing too because we only play MSU once this year and it's at home. The Big Ten season will be brutal again this year, but inviting #1 Michigan State to your home court is a huge opportunity.

And we get Marquette at home too. We're only two games into the season and I already like the way things are shaping up.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm making plans for Nigel.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 pm

The Badgers are now ranked #12 in the country.

One more puzzle piece was put in place over the weekend. Bronson Koenig played a lot of minutes due to deficient play from Jackson and Marshall's injury-related absence. He proved himself the best point guard on the team, and I think Marshall might have trouble getting those minutes back.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Koenig is the only true, natural point guard on the team. I think Gasser would be fine at the 1, but he's not completely healthy yet and probably shouldn't be dominating the ball that much. Traevon is a 2 guard and makes up his mind too early that he is going to shoot, even if a teammate is open for a better look. He's also awful against the press. I'm fine with him playing a few minutes at lead, but he is ill-suited for the majority of those minutes. Marshall has never really shown that he has what it takes to be a good distributor, and he's playing with the deer-in-the-headlights look on his face(the new Rob Wilson?). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he looks to transfer.

It looks like Bo is giving some of the younger players a longer leash. In the game against Florida, Nigel made a terrible pass along the baseline, then compounded that mistake by completely losing his man on the next possession. I'm glad as heck that Bo didn't pull him, though, and he was rewarded shortly after with a nice bucket by Hayes. We desperately need him to give us some solid minutes, so it was nice to see that Bo still had confidence in him.

If we can stay healthy, I like our chances to make a run in the tourney.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01 pm

43 points from Frank Kaminsky? Really? Badgers score over 100 points? Really?

Badgers gave up 85 points to North Dakota? REALLY???
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:21 am

In my best impersonation of Marv Albert via forum posting, "Yes!!!" What a fun game. I mentioned to my friend next to me, as Frank reached 12 points early in the 1st half, that we should hope to see him break 30, wouldn't that be neat. Frank the Tank scored more than any other Badger (male) player has in a single game. This was also the most points scored by the Badgers as a team in a men's game since 1995. And, yes, they gave up 85 points, which is unsettling, but they were never in danger of losing.

Although it appeared frustrating to Trae Jackson, Koenig again showed he will be handling the ball more and more because he should be. I loved to see his hard cuts immediately after making a pass. Dekker shook off some rust in the 2nd half. There was an interesting spot where UND went small, so Bo responded with Gasser, Jackson, Brust, Koenig, and Dekker. Kinda sick. Brust was not as Brusty as usual, but he didn't need to be. He did make a remarkable defensive rebound towards the end of the game, jumping higher than everybody.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am

ESPN raves about Kaminsky's performance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 am

According to ESPN stats, he's one of only two D-1 seven-footers to eclipse 40 points in a game in the last 15 seasons. (Chris Kaman is the other.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 pm

8-0. A road win @ Virginia would be huge.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 am

Trae Jackson is the most improved player in the last two games. I think Koenig filching his minutes has sharpened his focus. He filled in the missing points against SLU when Brust's shots were not falling, and tonight, he grabbed ten rebounds and led the team in assists with seven. Matt Lepay voted for him as tourney MVP.

The Badgers are now ranked #10, and will stay there through next week's poll.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:20 pm

I will freely admit my mistake about the poll for this week. Both Duke and OK St. dropped four spots, and as a result, the Badgers are now ranked #8.

Additional bball factoid as penance: Indiana leads the nation in rebounding.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Big games this week. VA and Marquette. Sparty gets UNC on Wednesday. Now that football is over (really it ended in the 1st quarter of the Bears game) I'm really on board with the Badgers. Normally I don't tune in much until B1G season.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:52 am

Damn, this team is legit. Big win on the road against a quality opponent when our shots weren't falling. That was easily the best defensive effort of the season, spearheaded by Josh Gasser, who looks to be coming back to full health. Barring injury, anything short of (at least) the Sweet Sixteen would be disappointing. I haven't felt this good about the Badger's NCAA chances since shortly before Brian Butch dislocated his elbow. Giddyup.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 am

Someone said this matchup was the '85 Bears vs. the '00 Ravens. I think it lived up to the hype. Held them under 40?!!?!?!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking