MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, March 3, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Idaho Stop

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: The Idaho Stop

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 am

DCB wrote:It sounds like you're arguing that we need stop signs to slow down bicyclists for their own safety. Because 20mph is too dangerous? Sorry, but that sounds silly.

Out in the country you're on your own. On E Wash you can go as fast as the cars, at least. But on a messed up bike-unfriendly street like that stretch of E Johnson, I think slowing down is warranted. The bike lane, where it hasn't been torn up, is located stupidly and is too narrow, there are too many parked cars, and there's nowhere to swerve if you need to evade something. Stopping where marked would be a good idea because it does slow people down -- that's the point.

I have no idea how a law could be written to apply just to certain streets though. Maybe the signage could be more specific.

For the ones that don't care - the legislation probably wouldn't change their behavior much.

Agree.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 am

snoqueen wrote:I have no idea how a law could be written to apply just to certain streets though. Maybe the signage could be more specific.

Make the stop signs with the white borders optional!

I think letting bikes treat stop signs as yield signs could work, but it's not going to be the over all fix to all the bike/car related accidents and incidents. Bikers and drivers will continue to piss each other off no matter who is in the right in a given situation, and failure by both sides to comprehend the rules are still going to cause accidents much like they do today.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Bikers and drivers will continue to piss each other off no matter who is in the right in a given situation...

No shit. For example, TDPF is a fairly bicycle-friendly place, and even this crowd goes all bitchy over lycra.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CapFox » Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 am

It's not so much that lycra is a horrible textile, it's that it's been deployed in criminally hideous ways.
CapFox

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking