MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Barry going back to Notre Dame?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Is barry going to ND?

Yes
18%
No
82%
Barry who?
No votes

Total votes : 11

Is Barry going back to Notre Dame?

Postby Paco » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:14 am

a tv station in South Bend lists some candidates, and quotes an unknown source saying he'd take it.

http://www.wndu.com/sports/122004/sports_38862.php
Barry Alvarez
Some have suggested Wisconsin Coach Barry Alvarez. A very close friend of Alvarez told NewsCenter 16 Monday that if he were offered the job, he believes Alvarez would take it.

Alvarez is also the athletic director at Wisconsin. He's built the Badgers into a Big 10 power after leaving Notre Dame for Madison in 1990. Alvarez was on Lou Holtz's staff and went 24-1 while the defensive coordinator for Notre Dame.

Sounds like a step up from the Enquirer to me. Do you care?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:08 pm

I find it hard to believe he'd take the Notre Dame job. He's got a pretty sweet job right here in Madison.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/fo ... dsect=edit
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smartypants » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 pm

superman wrote:I find it hard to believe he'd take the Notre Dame job. He's got a pretty sweet job right here in Madison.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/fo ... dsect=edit

Don't underestimate the power of the Dome. :shock:

Seriously though, if he's as ambitious as he seems to be Notre Dame would be a logical step for him.

I think he'd be nuts to step into that catastrophe but you can't deny that it's one of the most prestigious jobs in the NCAA (if not the most difficult and perhaps overrated).

Anyway, I wouldn't count him out until the dust settles and/or you hear him say so directly.
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:29 pm

UW sport chat boards all say Barry will stay. I wonder what the ND board talk is.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gr0upie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:40 pm

$5 says he bolts.
gr0upie
Forum Addict

Postby nevermore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:59 am

I usually don't talk Notre Dame football outside the "Local Politics" section, but since this is topical...

Barry didn't leave UW for the Eagles, I doubt he'd do it for the domers. He's already cemented his status as Best Wisconsin Football Coach EVER (best Wisconsin coach, any sport, is Bob Johnson). He's running the whole AD and is getting more jack than he would get as Notre Dame coach (and he would enter that reign as hoping for getting no higher than 4th or 5th best football coach ever at the institution).

Seriously, before we die they will rename Camp Randall as Barry Alvarez Field at Camp Randall. He'll be bigger here than that asshat Joe Paterno at Penn State. Why leave?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:07 am

nevermore wrote:I usually don't talk Notre Dame football outside the "Local Politics" section, but since this is topical...

Barry didn't leave UW for the Eagles, I doubt he'd do it for the domers. He's already cemented his status as Best Wisconsin Football Coach EVER (best Wisconsin coach, any sport, is Bob Johnson). He's running the whole AD and is getting more jack than he would get as Notre Dame coach (and he would enter that reign as hoping for getting no higher than 4th or 5th best football coach ever at the institution).

Seriously, before we die they will rename Camp Randall as Barry Alvarez Field at Camp Randall. He'll be bigger here than that asshat Joe Paterno at Penn State. Why leave?

I agree with all this except the bash on Joe Pa. C'mon, how many elite college programs are actually clean? I would bet Paterno's is. Maybe Notre Dame's program. You could probably count the rest on one hand.

I heard from someone inside UW that ND was here to talk with Brian White. Please, PLEASE take him.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:38 am

tibor wrote:I agree with all this except the bash on Joe Pa. C'mon, how many elite college programs are actually clean? I would bet Paterno's is.

So are Bobby Knight's - and that just very well may be my point.

I can't stand these throwback coaches from an era that should stay in the past. I can't stand his politics. I can't stand the fact that he's been coaching for about 5 years longer than he should have been. I can't stand his whining about how the refs are out to get him. I can't stand the hero worship that happens in Happy Valley. I can't stand that he helped bring Kerry Collins into the football world. I can't stand the smugness of Penn State fan. I can't stand the way he looks. I get this visceral reaction whenever I see him on TV.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:55 am

nevermore wrote:I can't stand these throwback coaches from an era that should stay in the past.

If the Paternos are from an era that should stay in the past, and the Bowdens are from this era, then please take me back to the old days. The Bowdens, Spurriers, and Butch Davises of the world are all that's wrong with athletics.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:17 am

If you think Paterno's program is "clean," you're out of your mind. It's likely no cleaner than Wisconsin's, and perhaps even less. Sure, Paterno probably isn't hiring secretaries to write papers for players or handing out $20s. But his players get mixed up with questionable boosters who have way too much access to the program just like anywhere else.

I like Paterno just fine, but I've also been to State College, PA, and I can't imagine why a generation of great football players would go there to play hard and study hard under Paterno.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:48 am

Despite Dick Vitale's begging last night, BA isn't leaving us for Notre Dame.

Mike Lucas said last night before the UW/UWGB game that he spoke to Barry Alvarez and he stated that he wasn't going anywhere "end of story".

Then there is this: http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/local/in ... ntid=20440

Alvarez: I'm not interested in Irish
12/08/04
Tom Mulhern Wisconsin State Journal

University of Wisconsin football coach and athletic director Barry Alvarez said Tuesday that he has no interest in the vacant coaching position at Notre Dame.

But Alvarez would be happy to talk to Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White about the job, if he were to call.

Alvarez, appearing on "The Tim Brando Show" on Sporting News Radio, was asked if he would talk to White about the job that opened up last week when Tyrone Willingham was fired after three years.

"Sure, I'd take his call," Alvarez said. "I consider him a friend. I would take the call, but I'm not interested in any job."

A report by a South Bend, Ind., television station on Monday ignited speculation about whether Alvarez, who was an assistant coach at Notre Dame from 1987 to '89, might become a candidate for the opening.

WNDU-TV, a station owned by Notre Dame, cited a source close to Alvarez as saying he likely would take the job if it was offered.

Alvarez, 57, is finishing his 15th season as coach of the Badgers, who face Georgia in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 in Tampa, Fla. He also is in his first year as athletic director, taking over those duties on April 1.

Since turning down overtures from Miami (Fla.) in February 2001, Alvarez repeatedly has said that his Wisconsin coaching job will be his last.

Methinks ND is getting pretty desperate now that they lost their main candidate, Urban Meyer.
Last edited by pulseCzar on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:53 am

I hope Alvarez leaves. I have had no enthousiasm for him since his kid was found to have microwaved his housmate's pet. I know the guy was probably an adult at the time, but what kind of values was he raised with if he thinks putting a live animal in a microwave is ok? Or am I remembering this wrong......
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gr0upie » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:54 am

gr0upie wrote:$5 says he bolts.

:oops:

glad no one took me up on that $5. my "sources" clearly wouldn't know shit from shinola....
gr0upie
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:39 pm

shelly wrote:I hope Alvarez leaves. I have had no enthousiasm for him since his kid was found to have microwaved his housmate's pet. I know the guy was probably an adult at the time, but what kind of values was he raised with if he thinks putting a live animal in a microwave is ok? Or am I remembering this wrong......

He flocked it first.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:58 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you think Paterno's program is "clean," you're out of your mind. It's likely no cleaner than Wisconsin's, and perhaps even less.

Ok, you're right that the program almost certainly isn't totally clean. But don't you feel that it's a LOT cleaner than a Gary Barnett or Bobby Bowden program? I remember watching Bowden do an interview with someone, and you practically had to wipe the TV down afterwards he was so slimy.

I sincerely doubt the UW has any close to a clean program. Barry is a Lou Holtz protege, after all.

I'm not a big Penn State fan, I just think it's kind of cool that Paterno has been coaching for so long, and can still do it at his age. He seems to be a pretty straight-shooter and speaks his mind, so I respect that.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking