MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 24, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Harris's Advisors Flee in Panic!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

What should this post have been titled?

Krazy Kathy's Krusade Krumbles
20%
Revenge of the Hanging Chad
12%
Floridian Fascist Flounders Frantically
28%
"Ding, Dong, the Witch Is Dead..."
28%
Kurt, you suck at this stuff. Leave the creativity to Chuck or somebody.
12%

Total votes : 25

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:To judge by the reaction on the forum, they'd do better running that girl on the brown horse.

Being on the brown horse might explain some of her wacky actions lately... :wink:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:Needs to shorten those stirrups or she'll be left behind if the horse takes off.

That is as funny as Bush portraying himself as a cowboy.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:00 pm

Read this on one pof Josh Marshall's spinoff web sites, and had to share:

If campaign aides were hair, Rep. Katherine Harris (R-FL) would be bald, the Orlando Sentinel reports this morning

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000246.php
Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Damn it, you guys got me surfing pictures of Katherine Harris!

I love the WTF expression on the faces of members of the audience:

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:34 am

The fleeing-in-panic continues:

Rep. Katherine Harris' last four top-level campaign staff members quit this weekend, with seven months to go until the U.S. Senate election in November. [...]

"I didn't know I was going to get the knives in my back from my own party and I'll be honest, it's infiltrated my campaign staff," Harris told a group of about 50 supporters on Saturday, according to Florida Today, a newspaper in Brevard County. "For too long we have been undermined by people in our own party and staffers in our own campaign." [...]

Officials with the Republican National Committee and the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee refused comment on Harris on Monday.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am

kurt_w wrote:The fleeing-in-panic continues:

"I didn't know I was going to get the knives in my back from my own party and I'll be honest, it's infiltrated my campaign staff,"..."For too long we have been undermined by people in our own party and staffers in our own campaign." [...]

Officials with the Republican National Committee and the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee refused comment on Harris on Monday.

Oh! the Humanity! *sob*... It's always got to be a conspiracy theory, eh? Maybe the GOP is just starting to learn when to cut off those gangrenous digets when it has to. Look at what happened to Delay... think he made that valient decision all on his own? I bet he got just a little pressure...
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

And from the "You can't make this stuff up" department,

ââ??Katherine Harris is the horse weââ?‰?¢re going to ride to the finish line and itââ?‰?¢s time for us to saddle upââ?¬? ââ?‰?Â
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Fri May 12, 2006 1:48 pm

[quote="Billy Shears"]And from the "You can't make this stuff up" department, ââ??Katherine Harris is the horse weââ?‰?¢re going to ride to the finish line and itââ?‰?¢s time for us to saddle upââ?¬? ââ?‰?Â
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri May 12, 2006 1:58 pm

[quote="Billy Shears"]And from the "You can't make this stuff up" department,

ââ??Katherine Harris is the horse weââ?‰?¢re going to ride to the finish line and itââ?‰?¢s time for us to saddle upââ?¬? ââ?‰?Â
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:33 pm

I just like that the name on the blanket is on the horse's butt...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 pm

An ass riding a horse.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Okay, it's been a few months since we last turned our gaze towards Florida. So, here we go:

Katherine Harris's senate campaign trainwreck (now with more trainwreckery...)

Back in March, we talked about Harris's wacky decision to refocus her senate campaign as a Christian Crusade (while she was simultaneously reeling from the mass resignation of her entire staff, and fighting off indictment in the Cunningham bribery scandal). At the time, she was trailing her opponent (incumbent Democratic senator Bill Nelson) by 22 points in the polls.

Now, despite spending $2.1 million in the past quarter (a million more than she raised), Harris is running 30 points behind Nelson. Oops.

And -- surprise! Last week, most of the people she hired to replace her original campaign staff (the ones who jumped ship back in March) ALSO resigned:

Campaign manager Glenn Hodas -- the third to work for Harris -- confirmed Thursday he and four other key staffers are leaving this week, including communications director Chris Ingram, who Wednesday said he was leaving.

In addition, field director Pat Thomas and two of her assistants are leaving. Two others are also walking out the door, including a fundraiser, another campaign staffer said speaking on condition of anonymity so as to not look disloyal.

(source)

Yep, that's right. Harris has had not just one, but two sequential mass resignations of her entire campaign team (and is now looking for her fourth campaign manager).

Harris's earlier (second?) campaign manager called her campaign "a nuclear wasteland". He went on to say "I just saw her heading for political destruction. And I didn't want to be the one to lead her to Little Big Horn."

(source)

Meanwhile, on the legal front, there's good news: technically speaking, Harris has not yet actually been indicted for bribery. Unfortunately, however, it's probably just a matter of time, as the Justice Department is demanding that her campaign turn over documents as part of its investigation into the Mitchell Wade defense contracts bribery scandal (yep, the scandal which led to the resignation and indictment of Rep. Cunningham last year). Harris allegedly took $32,000 in laundered campaign donations from Wade....

Then there's the fact that Harris apparently tried to spread rumors that a fellow GOP Floridian, who was considering running against her in the primary, had some kind of mysterious "dead intern problem". (''That was the first clue that something wasn't right with Katherine Harris,'' said Republican talk show host Joe Scarborough ....)

Here is what the St Petersburg Timeshad to say about Harris's speechwriter, who just abandoned ship:

Speechwriter Jennifer Hickey is leaving U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris' congressional office. We at the Buzz are not at all surprised but we were amused by an email she sent around to friends and colleagues Tuesday announcing her departure.

Value of "George Harris Legacy Loan" to Senate campaign: $10 million

Value of "refurbishments" to Capitol Hill residence: $100,000

Value of Handing in my Resignation Letter: Priceless

[...]

"No, I do not have a job lined up,'' she wrote. "But I have my dignity and a smidgen of the sanity I had when I came to work here."
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Back in March, we talked about Harris's wacky decision to refocus her senate campaign as a Christian Crusade

A whore for Jesus.

kurt_w wrote:Meanwhile, on the legal front, there's good news: technically speaking, Harris has not yet actually been indicted for bribery. Unfortunately, however, it's probably just a matter of time, as the Justice Department is demanding that her campaign turn over documents as part of its investigation into the Mitchell Wade defense contracts bribery scandal (yep, the scandal which led to the resignation and indictment of Rep. Cunningham last year). Harris allegedly took $32,000 in laundered campaign donations from Wade....

Hmmm...bribery, isn't that a form of greed, one of the seven deadly?

kurt_w wrote:Then there's the fact that Harris apparently tried to spread rumors that a fellow GOP Floridian, who was considering running against her in the primary, had some kind of mysterious "dead intern problem".

Gee...bearing false witness, isn't that one of the top ten?

Speechwriter Jennifer Hickey is leaving U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris' congressional office. We at the Buzz are not at all surprised but we were amused by an email she sent around to friends and colleagues Tuesday announcing her departure.

Value of "George Harris Legacy Loan" to Senate campaign: $10 million

Value of "refurbishments" to Capitol Hill residence: $100,000

Value of Handing in my Resignation Letter: Priceless

[...]

"No, I do not have a job lined up,'' she wrote. "But I have my dignity and a smidgen of the sanity I had when I came to work here."

Isn't it fun watching Republicans eating their own?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:28 pm

I am absolutely not going to comment on this:

She is especially animated when the topic turns to animals, including the guide dog she plans to train starting in November. She will care for the dog for 18 months, spending nearly all her waking hours with it. "You can't let them sleep in bed with you," Ms. Harris said. "Which is going to be harder on me than the dog."
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:39 pm

kurt_w wrote:I am absolutely not going to comment on this:

She is especially animated when the topic turns to animals, including the guide dog she plans to train starting in November. She will care for the dog for 18 months, spending nearly all her waking hours with it. "You can't let them sleep in bed with you," Ms. Harris said. "Which is going to be harder on me than the dog."

Just call her Katherine the Great.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government