MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Damn Repubs were right!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Damn Repubs were right!

Postby The Tolerator » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Cut taxes and watch the government's revenues increase, an economic fact that democrats can't stop denying. Deficit drops 25% as revenues grow.

What is a democrat to do?

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1049297.html
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby Oprah » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Yep. Tax cuts during a period of war definitely reduced the deficit since 2001.

http://www.cbo.gov/budget/historical.pdf


Year.....Deficit....Debt

1980.....-73.8......711.9
1981.....-79.0......789.4
1982.....-128.0.....924.6
1983.....-207.8.....1,137.3
1984.....-185.4.....1,307.0
1985.....-212.3.....1,507.3
1986.....-221.2.....1,740.6
1987.....-149.7.....1,889.8
1988.....-155.2.....2,051.6
1989.....-152.6.....2,190.7

1990.....-221.0.....2,411.6
1991.....-269.2.....2,689.0
1992.....-290.3.....2,999.7
1993.....-255.1.....3,248.4
1994.....-203.2.....3,433.1
1995.....-164.0.....3,604.4
1996.....-107.4.....3,734.1
1997.....-21.9......3,772.3
1998.....69.3.......3,721.1
1999.....125.6......3,632.4

2000.....236.2......3,409.8
2001.....128.2......3,319.6
2002.....-157.8.....3,540.4
2003.....-377.6.....3,913.4
2004.....-412.7.....4,295.5
2005.....-318.3.....4,592.2
2006.....-247.6.....4,829.1
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: On the Down Low

Postby The Tolerator » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:11 am

Another demonstration of how the liberals don't or won't understand economics. War time spending always effects the budget, but it is clear that during period of higher spending the economic principles hold, even if they take a little longer.

Democrats and their selfish childish need for instant gratification makes it difficult for them to stay for the long haul. Strangely, it is the same during a war, if it isn't won in the first few hours they get all nervous and start to feel faint.

Good thing the government showed a spine when Hitler was around, if we had the same congressional leaders back then that we have now, we would all be goose stepping.

Viva la Dirty Harry Reid
Viva la San Fran Gran Nan
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby Jattpw » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 am

I am trying to get this straight.

It appears that the deficit decreased into a surplus during the Clinton years as opposed to increasing in both the Bush 1,Bush 2 and reagan years.

And the argument is that the five month budget figures look good right now so republican tax breaks are working. But then when the longer term data is brought up; the argument is we should be looking more long term. Which is it? And where is the long term historical proof that the tax breaks work?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Postby The Tolerator » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:12 am

Jattpw wrote:I am trying to get this straight.

It appears that the deficit decreased into a surplus during the Clinton years as opposed to increasing in both the Bush 1,Bush 2 and reagan years.

And the argument is that the five month budget figures look good right now so republican tax breaks are working. But then when the longer term data is brought up; the argument is we should be looking more long term. Which is it? And where is the long term historical proof that the tax breaks work?


Let me set you straight.

Reagan inherits horrible economy from the worst president ever, reigns in interest rates and cuts taxes. Clinton's approval ratings are among the benefactors of Reaganomics. He glides through his Presidency riding the Economic wave that Ronny started and that couldn't even be stopped by the taxing raising dems during the Bush #1 administration. Clinton's economic negligence is finally realized as Bush #2 takes office. He cuts taxes and now we enjoy the economic benefit. Now the democrats in congress want to choke the economy by cranking up taxes like they are Alan Greenspan trying to make the stock and housing markets crash.

I must admit that my nutshell description of the last 27 years of the American economy is brilliant and pitch perfect. Kudos to me!

In the words of a school kid, dur! or alternately der!
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:20 am

Don't feed the

Image
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3951
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Postby The Tolerator » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:27 am

Michael Patrick wrote:Don't feed the

Image


Dear MP,

Your thoughts are very engaging and really add a lot the discussion.

Clearly, once again the democrats are silenced by facts.
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby Talon Newsman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 am

For those of you who wish to build your own:

if (party($president) == "D") {
$fault = "president";

} else if (party($previous_president) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_president";

else if (majority_party($congress) == "D") {
$fault = "congress";

else if (majority_party($previous_congress) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_congress";

} else {
$fault = "liberal_media";

}
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:37 am

Talon Newsman wrote:For those of you who wish to build your own:

if (party($president) == "D") {
$fault = "president";

} else if (party($previous_president) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_president";

else if (majority_party($congress) == "D") {
$fault = "congress";

else if (majority_party($previous_congress) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_congress";

} else {
$fault = "liberal_media";

}


Post of the day.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East

Postby Jattpw » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:11 am

The Tolerator wrote:
Jattpw wrote:I am trying to get this straight.

It appears that the deficit decreased into a surplus during the Clinton years as opposed to increasing in both the Bush 1,Bush 2 and reagan years.

And the argument is that the five month budget figures look good right now so republican tax breaks are working. But then when the longer term data is brought up; the argument is we should be looking more long term. Which is it? And where is the long term historical proof that the tax breaks work?


Let me set you straight.

Reagan inherits horrible economy from the worst president ever, reigns in interest rates and cuts taxes. Clinton's approval ratings are among the benefactors of Reaganomics. He glides through his Presidency riding the Economic wave that Ronny started and that couldn't even be stopped by the taxing raising dems during the Bush #1 administration. Clinton's economic negligence is finally realized as Bush #2 takes office. He cuts taxes and now we enjoy the economic benefit. Now the democrats in congress want to choke the economy by cranking up taxes like they are Alan Greenspan trying to make the stock and housing markets crash.

I must admit that my nutshell description of the last 27 years of the American economy is brilliant and pitch perfect. Kudos to me!

In the words of a school kid, dur! or alternately der!


So the accepted cycle for tax cuts to effect the economy is 6 to 8 years?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Postby The Tolerator » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:25 am

Jattpw wrote:
The Tolerator wrote:
Jattpw wrote:I am trying to get this straight.

It appears that the deficit decreased into a surplus during the Clinton years as opposed to increasing in both the Bush 1,Bush 2 and reagan years.

And the argument is that the five month budget figures look good right now so republican tax breaks are working. But then when the longer term data is brought up; the argument is we should be looking more long term. Which is it? And where is the long term historical proof that the tax breaks work?


Let me set you straight.

Reagan inherits horrible economy from the worst president ever, reigns in interest rates and cuts taxes. Clinton's approval ratings are among the benefactors of Reaganomics. He glides through his Presidency riding the Economic wave that Ronny started and that couldn't even be stopped by the taxing raising dems during the Bush #1 administration. Clinton's economic negligence is finally realized as Bush #2 takes office. He cuts taxes and now we enjoy the economic benefit. Now the democrats in congress want to choke the economy by cranking up taxes like they are Alan Greenspan trying to make the stock and housing markets crash.

I must admit that my nutshell description of the last 27 years of the American economy is brilliant and pitch perfect. Kudos to me!

In the words of a school kid, dur! or alternately der!


So the accepted cycle for tax cuts to effect the economy is 6 to 8 years?


Acceptable or not, that seems to be the case. What did you expect 6 to 8 months? The American economy is like a big ship, it take a while to change course. Which is why it is crucial that conservative Republicans are always in control of tax policy.
The Tolerator
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm

Postby DrAwkward » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:49 am

Talon Newsman wrote:For those of you who wish to build your own:

if (party($president) == "D") {
$fault = "president";

} else if (party($previous_president) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_president";

else if (majority_party($congress) == "D") {
$fault = "congress";

else if (majority_party($previous_congress) == "D") {
$fault = "previous_congress";

} else {
$fault = "liberal_media";

}


*applause*
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1783
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:49 am


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar