MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Franken stealing the election?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:16 am

jjoyce wrote:I predict the Cubs will NOT win the World Series this year and that Al Franken will not be an effective senator.


The problem with that comparison is that winning the World Series is objectively measurable. It's hard to fake.

Being "an effective senator" is a matter of perception, and expectations matter. I dislike Franken (though I'd obviously prefer him to Coleman). But I predict he will benefit from low expectations, and well before 2014 people will probably be remarking on how he's turned out better than expected. Just my hunch.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby eriedasch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am

jjoyce wrote:Al Franken will not be an effective senator.

That's hardly the point from my perspective. Regarding the majority of senators already in office I'm just rooting (or voting) for the one's who will not F*ck sh*t up any more than it already is.

And because Franken has a D behind his name he is less likely to be a problem compared to the R.

An effective senator? You mean like our own Herb Kohl?

At least I'm pretty sure Franken would not vote for any new wars, might support a universal health care initiative, and willing to bet he would be OK with an end to putting people in jail for marijuana. Otherwise as long as he just sits there and votes with the Dem majority most of the time I would say he's been very effective.

The Dem majority, on the other hand, could use some lessons on how to be effective.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2918
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue May 19, 2009 7:33 pm

I think Franken will be a HOOT if he isn't too intimidated by the surroundings...We might as well go down laughing. I think he's versed well enough to start out, and shows the ability to research issues when he doesn't know. If he'll just take it seriously, and if they'll take him seriously, he could be a surprise.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Finally an answer.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090630/ap_ ... ota_senate

Now the question is does Pawlenty give in to the will of the people and sign or the will of his Party and not sign. I think if this guy wants to run for national office he signs but then again he is a Republican...
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I predict the Cubs will NOT win the World Series this year and that Al Franken will not be an effective senator.


The problem with that comparison is that winning the World Series is objectively measurable. It's hard to fake.

Being "an effective senator" is a matter of perception, and expectations matter. I dislike Franken (though I'd obviously prefer him to Coleman). But I predict he will benefit from low expectations, and well before 2014 people will probably be remarking on how he's turned out better than expected. Just my hunch.


Jason, I'm curious -- do you still think Franken will be ineffective?

It's only two months into his term, but I'm seeing pretty much what I expected. Take this video clip, for example, which is getting lots of coverage today:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archi ... tuents.php

I don't have time to watch Al talk about health insurance for ten minutes ... but I watched half of it, and he comes across as very different from my original impression of Al Franken. He's calm, serious, good at connecting to people and explaining stuff, even complicated things, and even when he's talking to people who disagree with him.

I think Franken's going to look a lot better as a senator than most of us predicted, and that he'll actually benefit from those low expectations. Kind of the reverse of what happened to Bobby Jindal.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby nevermore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm grateful, again, to see this thread get bumped up. Man, this had everything: The whole jjoyce is Ned thing, jjoyce being Blaska-level wrong, Ned's weapons-grade stupid, the brief returns of white_rabbit and gozer, me posting from France, recount madness. Good times...
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Yeah, I hope this thread never dies. Following nevermore's suggestion I just skimmed back through the whole thing, and it's a hoot.

Since we're all making predictions here, I predict Franken will turn out better than most people expect, and that by 2014 everyone except Jason will concede that he's actually one of the more effective Democratic senators. I also predict that the Cubs will not win the series, nevermore will have another trip to France, and my idiot alter-ego Flanders will continue to make a fool of himself on these pages.

FWIW, I used to hate Franken. Now I think he's OK. Switching from comedian to senator seems to have improved him.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby gozer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:35 am

nevermore wrote:I'm grateful, again, to see this thread get bumped up. Man, this had everything: The whole jjoyce is Ned thing, jjoyce being Blaska-level wrong, Ned's weapons-grade stupid, the brief returns of white_rabbit and gozer, me posting from France, recount madness. Good times...


i'll do it again with this tidbit i heard a few months ago:

jesse ventura (born james george janos; that may or may not actually be "janoš" or "jános" or something similar) reportedly picked his stage name by throwing a dart at a map circa or about 17. september 1990, presumably hitting ventura, calif. -- that would have been interesting had hit a section of ocean (like "jesse 150°36'20" w 19°05'50" n") or intercourse, pennsylvania ... or the village of fucking, in tarsdorf, oberösterreich, austria for that matter.

die presse (vienna) reported in 2008 that the village of fucking has installed cameras of some type (regular? i.r.? thermal?) to prevent guests and others from having sexual intercourse in front of the oft-stolen sign at the corporate limits of the village. maybe they should start a sister city relationship with intercourse, pennsylvania.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:35 pm
Location: everywhere

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 am

Are spam 'bots becoming sentient?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19570
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:19 am

Are spam 'bots becoming sentient?


I was wondering the same thing. Is this a real person? Has this real person been snooping around our forum or posting under another name for the sole purpose of one day unleashing the Spam? Is this a real person who just decided to put a URL in their signature? Well whatever the process the effort is worth a clink... yep thems some nice handbags.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Human » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 am

gozer wrote:
nevermore wrote:I'm grateful, again, to see this thread get bumped up. Man, this had everything: The whole jjoyce is Ned thing, jjoyce being Blaska-level wrong, Ned's weapons-grade stupid, the brief returns of white_rabbit and gozer, me posting from France, recount madness. Good times...


i'll do it again with this tidbit i heard a few months ago:

jesse ventura (born james george janos; that may or may not actually be "janoš" or "jános" or something similar) reportedly picked his stage name by throwing a dart at a map circa or about 17. september 1990, presumably hitting ventura, calif. -- that would have been interesting had hit a section of ocean (like "jesse 150°36'20" w 19°05'50" n") or intercourse, pennsylvania ... or the village of fucking, in tarsdorf, oberösterreich, austria for that matter.



die presse (vienna) reported in 2008 that the village of fucking has installed cameras of some type (regular? i.r.? thermal?) to prevent guests and others from having sexual intercourse in front of the oft-stolen sign at the corporate limits of the village. maybe they should start a sister city relationship with intercourse, pennsylvania.


After having sex in both towns, travelers can finish the tour by going straight to Hell, Michigan.
Human
Senior Member
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:56 pm
Location: Madison -- near west side

Is that what they're calling them now?

Postby Marvell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

Please stop this speculation regarding the niceness of Denise's handbags.

This is a family forum.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6976
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Still no word from jjoyce on this thread, I see.

I think Franken is doing fine. Watch him beat up on a Comcast lobbyist here: http://blogs.twincities.com/politics/20 ... t-ceo.html

If the senate had more Al Frankens the world would be a better place. And I say that as someone who used to loathe Franken.

See, Jason? Admitting that you were wrong ain't so hard.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am

The National Geographic that just arrived in my mailbox has a brief mention of Sen. Franken's amazing ability to sketch a map of the entire US from memory, state by state, almost without looking.

Unfortunately they illustrate it with a map on a napkin, drawn not by Franken but by a NG staffer ... who clearly ain't from Minnesota or Wisconsin, since she/he seems to have created a new Four Corners at the intersection of MN, WI, Iowa, and Illinois. Oops.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19570
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar