MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Franken stealing the election?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Franken stealing the election?

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am

If the economy continues to collapse and Obama isn't seen as turning things around, the GOP will come roaring back in 2010 or 2012 (yes, that's stupid, since they got us into this mess, but nobody said voters are rational). On the other hand, if things start looking up, the Democrats will get the credit and the GOP will remain marginalized.

That makes it a bit hard to speculate about 2012 yet, let alone Franken's re-election in 2014. Sheesh.

On the other hand, if Norm Coleman and Tim Pawlenty have anything to say about it, Franken's senate seat will still be tied up in the courts in 2014. What effect would that have on the campaign? :roll:
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 pm

nevermore wrote:I like him more as a serious person than a funny man and think he'll do a good job.

Based on what? His ability to look like slightly less of an ass than Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh? The GOP will probably fight this as long as they can (Why wouldn't they?), but they might as well just let the guy take office and see what he ends up doing.

Look at it this way: If he was a gooper, wouldn't you be calling attention to what a lightweight he is? I mean sure, he's a fine commentator, but his best stuff falls short of Colbert. His comedic peak happened in the early '80s. The guy has never done anything on his own. His best writing was done with a partner on someone else's show. Any creative endeavor he attempted apart from them failed, and many embarrassingly so.

In many ways, he's the perfect example of what a prep school/Harvard background can do for you.

I guess we'll see. He's been effective in casting himself in a reality dramady about a former (?) clown who puts on a suit and runs for office, but now he has to actually do the job. Fortunately or unfortunately for him, he's part of a congressional majority with a guy on his team in the white house. He'll be held responsible for everything that happens that doesn't sit right in Minnesota because, unlike Russ, I feel he's incapable of going his own way on anything due partially to his lack of experience and partially on the timing of his election.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm

jjoyce wrote:The guy has never done anything on his own. His best writing was done with a partner on someone else's show. Any creative endeavor he attempted apart from them failed, and many embarrassingly so.

Authoring three books that hit #1 on the NY Times bestsellers list is a funny way to define embarrassing failure.

But look, again, I don't think he's funny (and buy me a couple sometime and I'll tell you the story about the time I said that to his face). I actually listened to his radio show for when he waxed serious. If you don't want to take my word for it, fine. Take the word of the good people of Minnesota who voted to have him be their Senator after the GOP spent millions of dollars running against Stuart Smalley. Nice try. Too bad it didn't work.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 pm

He's a homophobe, a sexist and a tax cheat too.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:He's a homophobe, a sexist and a tax cheat too.

So, from your perspective, he's all good!

:lol:
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:He's a homophobe, a sexist and a tax cheat too.

So, from your perspective, he's all good!

:lol:

Exactly. If he wasn't also Jewish, he'd belong to the country club where Flanders parks cars.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:37 pm

He's a homophobe, a sexist and a tax cheat too.

Mmmmmm Ned's baseless attacks are delicious. Might also add US Senator from MN. Going teabagging tomorrow Ned?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Going teabagging tomorrow Ned?

Ned's not one to miss a Wide Stance Wednesday celebration.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Anyone care to address the facts?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Anyone care to address the facts?

I think we all do Ned. You don't seem to have a grasp of them what so ever and it would make us all very happy to discuss them with you.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 pm

jjoyce wrote:
nevermore wrote:I like him more as a serious person than a funny man and think he'll do a good job.

Based on what? His ability to look like slightly less of an ass than Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh?

His comedic peak happened in the early '80s. The guy has never done anything on his own. His best writing was done with a partner on someone else's show. Any creative endeavor he attempted apart from them failed, and many embarrassingly so.

In many ways, he's the perfect example of what a prep school/Harvard background can do for you.

He's been effective in casting himself in a reality dramady about a former (?) clown who puts on a suit and runs for office, but now he has to actually do the job.

[quotes trimmed]

jjoyce, it looks like you meant to say, "I don't like the guy, and I'd like to think that means he will fail politically."

I do like the guy, but I think it is nearly impossible to predict his Senatorial future. It could go many ways; since before he announced his candidacy, he has been involved with the USO and veterans' issues, and I think he has a real shot at gaining traction in that arena. We could also discover he is in way over his head, but probably not more than Rod Grams was.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Anyone care to address the facts?

Sure. Franken won. That's a fact. Accept it.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 pm

It's not just possible to predict the future, it's fun. Look here: I predict the Cubs will NOT win the World Series this year and that Al Franken will not be an effective senator.

Now, whether those end up being accurate predictions or not remains in question.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Seriously. Norm, I like you. You lost. Okay. Can we seat a senator so Amy [Klobuchar] doesn't have to do the job of two Senators? It is seriously not fair to constituents in Minnesota to drag this out any longer. It is over Norm, okay. It is over.

- Joe Scarborough [R-Reality]
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's not just possible to predict the future, it's fun. Look here: I predict the Cubs will NOT win the World Series this year and that Al Franken will not be an effective senator.

Now, whether those end up being accurate predictions or not remains in question.

For the noobs, a Chicago Cubs reference, in relation to a back-and-forth between jason and myself, is to jjoyce what "no más" was to Roberto Duran. :P
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government