MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Hoper Steps in it II-- This Time it's Personal

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: The Hoper Steps in it II-- This Time it's Personal

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 am

Strange, this wasn't discussed here.

Hubris? Stupidity? Naivete?

Yes, yes and yes.

Reuters) - President Barack Obama was caught on camera on Monday assuring outgoing Russian President Dmitry Medvedev that he will have "more flexibility" to deal with contentious issues like missile defense after the U.S. presidential election.

More...

"I understand your message about space," replied Medvedev, who will hand over the presidency to Putin in May.

"This is my last election ... After my election I have more flexibility," Obama said, expressing confidence that he would win a second term.

"Last" election? Hmmmmm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ ... JI20120326
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 pm

What is your point, exactly? That you don't think this is his last election?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 am

The world uniter divides once again....

"Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski immediately demanded on Twitter that the White House apologize for what he called an "outrageous mistake" and said the ceremony had been "overshadowed by ignorance and incompetence." Conservatives happily piled on: David Frum, former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, likened Obama's comment to saying that the African slave trade had been run by Africans."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/poli ... 12205.html
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm going to leave it up to the President to either defend or apologize for mistakenly labeling a Nazi death camp as a Polish death camp. I can actually see why Polish people would find this offensive, but I'm not sure why David Frum or Ned Flanders would. It seems like pretty selective outrage to me.

Frum closes with an interesting remark asking us to imagine the outrage if George Bush had suggested that Africans were responsible for the slave trade. There's just one problem... Conservatives have routinely lobbed this accusation as a tepid apology for slavery. And I don't think Obama's gaffe was blaming Poles for collaborating with Nazis, it seemed more like a spatial gaffe... the death camp was in Poland, therefore it was a Polish death camp. Conservative accusations about slavery have no such explanation. They literally seek to diminish our responsibility for slavery by blaming the victim.

You're welcome to Google "Africans responsible for slavery" and see what you come up with.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government