MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:37 pm

RNC Chair Priebus runs unopposed, is re-elected.
Well, he did so well in the last election....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am

With so many education-related issues which need addressing, it's nice to see Arizona Republicans wasting everybody's time trying to make high school students take a religious loyalty oath.

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose or evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; so help me God.

What any of the above has to do with a high school education, I cannot fathom, but I do know that if such a ridiculous requirement were put in place, atheists and other non-Judeo-Christians would either be unable to graduate, or they'd be forced to lie in order to do so (because unlike such oaths required for public service, there is no alternative text available to those who would prefer not to swear loyalty to an imaginary sky deity.) Bravo, Arizona!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Karl Rove has had it with the Tea Party crowd, and wants them gone. This may be the pruning of undesirable growth that will eventually lead to prosperity for the GOP, but I have no doubts there will be bad times along the way for them. I dipped my toe in Freeper waters after Sarah Palin and FoxNews parted ways, and it was surprisingly clear that most folks who dwell there do not care for Rove and Fox anymore, claiming both are part of the mythical MSM. Many freepers were calling for secession from the GOP in favor of a stricter Conservative party; they may have just gotten their flashpoint.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:04 am

Much as I love the notion of a Tea Party secession, I can't see it happening before 2016. Those guys are chewing each other up like dog toys and show no signs that they'll ever let up. There's so many other things to blame that it'll take them forever to figure out they're their own worst enemy.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 pm

The crazies are foaming at the mouth again, this time over one of their own. Ron Paul tweeted:

"Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that “he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.” Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense"

Seems reasonable, unless you happen to be a Republican. Rand Paul, of course, was quick to separate himself from the remarks of his crazy father.

What's wrong with the GOP? Tiny tent. Very, very tiny tent.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I recently started reading Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon, and the following passage brought this thread to mind:

For these reasons I named my truck Ghost Dancing, a heavy-handed symbol alluding to ceremonies of the 1890s in which the Plains Indians, wearing cloth shirts they believed rendered them indestructible, danced for the return of warriors, bison, and the fervor of the old life that would sweep away the new. Ghost dances, desperate resurrection rituals, were the dying rattles of a people whose last defense was delusion—about all that remained to them in their futility.

The GOP is Ghost Dancing.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:20 am

What's wrong? they are not really comfortable with reality:
"My greatest fear in the state of Maine: newspapers," he said to laughter from the children. "I'm not a fan of newspapers."
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

From DCB's link:
LePage added that he doesn't extend his criticism to other forms of media -- TV and radio -- because they don't "spin" the news.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 pm

DCB wrote:What's wrong? they are not really comfortable with reality:
"My greatest fear in the state of Maine: newspapers," he said to laughter from the children. "I'm not a fan of newspapers."

Fearing that newspapers are not impartial is hardly a mindset reserved for the GOP
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 am

True. But the Republicans don't have the ammunition like the lefties do.
Why are we spending less money on solar power than Germany? Because they've got more sun that we do!
Near the end of the segment, it occurred to Carlson to ask her expert guest, Fox Business reporter Shibani Joshi, why it might be that Germany's solar-power sector is doing so much better. "What was Germany doing correct? Are they just a smaller country, and that made it more feasible?" Carlson asked.

Joshi's jaw-dropping response: "They're a smaller country, and they've got lots of sun. Right? They've got a lot more sun than we do." In case that wasn't clear enough for some viewers, Joshi went on: "The problem is it's a cloudy day and it's raining, you're not gonna have it." Sure, California might get sun now and then, Joshi conceded, "but here on the East Coast, it's just not going to work."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 pm

John McCain, noble war hero, explains why he's blocking the nomination of Chuck Hagel, noble war hero, for Secretary of War ("Defense").
Neil, it goes back to there’s a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican, he attacked President Bush mercilessly and say he was the worst President since Herbert Hoover and said the surge was the worst blunder since the Vietnam War, which was nonsense.

He insulted President Bush! That's a very noble reason to put the world's most powerful army in limbo.

Also, some Republicans are worried about primary challenges. Another very noble reason.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 pm

[quote="rabble"][quote="Francis Di Domizio"]
But the Republicans don't have the ammunition like the lefties do.[/url]

I don't know where you live Rabble, but around here the Republicans have way more ammo than the left. Gun control? Bring it on! :twisted:
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Is there anything on record to suggest that McCain is still fit to serve? There's plenty on record to indicate that he isn't.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:37 pm

DCB wrote:
Neil, it goes back to there’s a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican..."

Is (former) Senator Hagel no longer a Republican? Because that's news to me right there.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 am

Zoti Bemba wrote:
DCB wrote:
Neil, it goes back to there’s a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican..."

Is (former) Senator Hagel no longer a Republican? Because that's news to me right there.

Nowadays actions such as assassinations and imprisonment without trial, bombings of civilians etc., are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits, but according to who does them and the capacity to ignore who has blood on their hands.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government