MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What's wrong with the GOP, anyway?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
"'What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. 'It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.'

He's like a fucking 8 year old embarrassed to talk about sex. Jeebus fucking Chirst where do these people come from.

Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville

off hand, I would say Nashville, Michigan.

Though he seems to have come by way of the 50's, though his degree in Biology and Doctorate of Chiropractic Medicine make me think he is full of crap about being offended.

He's also worked on refining Michigan's Medical Marihuana Law and introduced a Birther law for presidential elections in 2011.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm

And the people in that district elected him. That's the worst part.

I'm starting to realize just how deeply bizarre a whole big section of the electorate is.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
The Detroit News reports today the House Republican leadership did not allow Brown to speak ...

"'What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. 'It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.'

Is it the word 'vagina' that he finds offensive? or is it an assertive woman challenging his paternalistic religions beliefs?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville and the GOP have a severe case of vagina envy. What a bunch of pussies!
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

snoqueen wrote:And the people in that district elected him. That's the worst part.

I'm starting to realize just how deeply bizarre a whole big section of the electorate is.

Lets be honest Sno, I doubt there is a regular voter out there who doesn't look at a significant portion of the electorate and say "WTF?" on a regular basis. As a society we have become so divided in our view points that it's almost impossible to for people to figure out how other people are coming to their decisions.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm

File this under "I'm a dick" from our very own Hovde

"I see a reporter here," he said. "I just pray that you start writing about these issues. I just pray. Stop always writing about, 'Oh, the person couldn't get, you know, their food stamps or this or that.' You know, I saw something the other day -- it's like, another sob story, and I'm like, 'But what about what's happening to the country and the country as a whole?' That's going to devastate everybody."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 05343.html

Ya, just brush 'em under the rug. We don't wanna know that people are poor and starving. While we're at it, can we please stop talking about disabled people too. Sheesh, everyone just wants a handout.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 pm

DCB wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
The Detroit News reports today the House Republican leadership did not allow Brown to speak ...

Is it the word 'vagina' that he finds offensive? or is it an assertive woman challenging his paternalistic religious beliefs?

I guess its the latter:
Ari Adler, a spokesman for House Majority Leader Jase Bolger (R-Marshall), said the lawmakers were banned from speaking because of their behavior, not because of their word choice.
"They behaved in a way that disrupted the decorum of the House," Adler said. "For Brown, it was not the words she used, but the way she used them that resulted in her being gaveled down." In Byrum's case, Adler said, "I hate to put it this way, but she essentially had a temper tantrum on the House floor."

Those ladies were downright uppity!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am

Powerful congressman accused of campaign finance violations

Republican Rep. Vern Buchanan, a self-made Florida millionaire, is only in his third term in Congress, but he already is in charge of fundraising for the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee, and he sits on the powerful House Ways and Means committee.

But all that could be jeopardized. Federal investigations underway could result in Buchanan serving his next term behind bars.

CNN has confirmed there are no fewer than four congressional and federal investigations into Buchanan's business practices, his campaign finances and his alleged attempt to try to stop a witness from talking.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Texas Republican Party Calls For Abstinence Only Sex Ed, Corporal Punishment In Schools (among all sorts of other stupidity)

My favorite part:
The position causing the most controversy, however, is the statement that they oppose the teaching of "higher order thinking skills" -- a curriculum which strives to encourage critical thinking -- arguing that it might challenge "student's fixed beliefs" and undermine "parental authority."

Yes, you read that right-- the Texas Republican party is laying it all out there: They do not want anyone thinking for themselves.

Elaborate joke? Wish it were. The web site of Texas' GOP has made their platform documents private *cough*COWARDS*cough*, but it's archived at the bottom of the article.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm

2012 STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM

PRINCIPLES
We, the 2012 Republican Party of Texas, believe in this platform and expect our elected leaders to uphold these truths through acknowledgement and action. We believe in:
1. Strict adherence to the original intent of the Declaration of Independence and U.S. and Texas Constitutions.
2. The sanctity of human life, created in the image of God, which should be protected from fertilization to natural death.
3. Preserving American and Texas Sovereignty and Freedom.
4. Limiting government power to those items enumerated in the U.S. and Texas Constitutions.
5. Personal Accountability and Responsibility.
6. Self-sufficient families, founded on the traditional marriage of a natural man and a natural woman.
7. Having an educated population, with parents having the freedom of choice for the education of their children.
8. Americans having the right to be safe in their homes, on their streets, and in their communities,and the unalienable right to defend themselves.
9. A free enterprise society unencumbered by government interference or subsidies.
10. Honoring all of those that serve and protect our freedom.
11. “The laws of nature and nature’s God” as our Founding Fathers believed.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Meade wrote:2012 STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM PRINCIPLES

Welcome to Principles of American Theocracy 101.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Every time this topic pops up to the top, my reflexive response is, "what ISN'T wrong with the GOP?"
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:51 pm

EDUCATING OUR CHILDREN
Basic Standards – We favor improving the quality of education for all students, including those with special needs. We support a return to the traditional basics of reading, writing, arithmetic, and citizenship with sufficient discipline to ensure learning and quality educational assessment

Parental Rights in Education – We believe the right of parents to raise and educate their children is fundamental. Parents have the right to withdraw their child from any specialized program. We urge the Legislature to enact penalties for violation of parental rights.

Sex Education – We recognize parental responsibility and authority regarding sex education. We believe that parents must be given an opportunity to review the material prior to giving their consent. We oppose any sex education other than abstinence until marriage.

Parental School Choice – We encourage the Governor and the Texas Legislature to enact child-centered school funding options which fund the student, not schools or districts, to allow maximum freedom of choice inpublic, private, or parochial education for all children.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Meade wrote:2012 STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM PRINCIPLES

Cute, Moderate Meade™, where'd you find that? Actually, nevermind, because it doesn't get into the particulars.

I will, however, retract the "cowards" statement for just this instance, because while the platform document is protected on their convention web site, it is available for perusal in all it's nutjob glory at the main GOP site.

I see they've reworded the "critcial thinking" section somewhat:
We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
Last edited by ilikebeans on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Meade, do you realize that Texas ranks dead last in the percentage of their population with high school diplomas? How is the Texas GOP platform on education going to improve their standing?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government