MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

ALEC and public education

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: ALEC and public education

Postby Detritus » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Igor wrote:Have you been around the last year? I think plenty of people in town that have called for increasing school spending and stronger teachers unions.

So, then, why didn't you say that in the first place, rather than "increasing spending on the broken system that has the problem in the first place," or "the current situation with better union contracts (and repealing the QEO) will solve everything?"
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 am

Detritus wrote:
Igor wrote:Have you been around the last year? I think plenty of people in town that have called for increasing school spending and stronger teachers unions.

So, then, why didn't you say that in the first place, rather than "increasing spending on the broken system that has the problem in the first place," or "the current situation with better union contracts (and repealing the QEO) will solve everything?"

I am sure "a pox on both of your houses" would have been unacceptable to you as well.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 am

Check out some of the proprietary ventures in higher ed (CEC, Globe, others) and see if that's where you'd like to send YOUR kids if you believe privatization is the answer. A business model can be effective while educational goals are horrendous and failing -- at least for a time. Education is TOO important to allow for capitalistic Darwinism to run its course. It will....but young people are cheated and suffer in the interim.

When a decision has to be made between academic integrity and greater profit, guess which one usually wins out? Been there and have seen it firsthand.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 am

Igor wrote:
Detritus wrote:

I am sure "a pox on both of your houses" would have been unacceptable to you as well.

If you can't tell the difference between what you first said and what you finally said, then you are part of the reason politics have become poisoned in this state.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 am

Detritus wrote:If you can't tell the difference between what you first said and what you finally said, then you are part of the reason politics have become poisoned in this state.

Quite clearly, it is those of us in the middle that are poisoning the politics in this state. Not the screamers on the right and the left. If only the moderates would stop our rhetoric, the conservatives and liberals of the state could have peace, and work towards solving our problems.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Nor were they supposed to be about babysitting the children of parents who completely abdicate responsibility for the education of their children.

In defense of those parents they also weren't supposed to have to work 2 jobs with no raises and shitty benefits so Ned's bosses can buy even bigger mansions and buy even more politicians.

I absolutely agree, the entire culture is fucked. I place 90% of the blame on societal greed.

However, that other 10%... I know too many parents who spend their evenings telling their children, "go in your room and play, I'm watching my show."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 am

Igor wrote:
Detritus wrote:If you can't tell the difference between what you first said and what you finally said, then you are part of the reason politics have become poisoned in this state.

Quite clearly, it is those of us in the middle that are poisoning the politics in this state. Not the screamers on the right and the left. If only the moderates would stop our rhetoric, the conservatives and liberals of the state could have peace, and work towards solving our problems.

The only thing you are clearly in the middle of, Igor, is your own mind. If you were truly in the middle, you would not have so badly caricatured one side as you did. Moreover, to imply that all the folks who turned out day after day across the state, and voted in unprecedented numbers to recall Walker and the rest as "screamers on the left" is to position your "middle" well to the right of the rest of the state. Just calling yourself "in the middle" doesn't magically make it true, but it does make you part of the problem, like it or not.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Is the current system completely "broken?" Seems like it's just woefully underfunded, in part thanks to siphoning of taxpayer dollars to voucher schools.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Detritus wrote:The only thing you are clearly in the middle of, Igor, is your own mind. If you were truly in the middle, you would not have so badly caricatured one side as you did. Moreover, to imply that all the folks who turned out day after day across the state, and voted in unprecedented numbers to recall Walker and the rest as "screamers on the left" is to position your "middle" well to the right of the rest of the state. Just calling yourself "in the middle" doesn't magically make it true, but it does make you part of the problem, like it or not.

Well gee, I guess because you say so, it must be true. I prefer to look at the issues - I agree with liberal positions on probably 70 % of the time. In Madison, this may indeed make me a right winger, but I assure you that if everyone to the right of me votes against the recall, it is well and truly hosed.

I am confused that you don't have a problem with the term "screamers on the right". Weird.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Igor wrote:I am confused that you don't have a problem with the term "screamers on the right". Weird.

So...you want to go all the way through the same sequence of conversation but this time with respect to what you said about the right? What would be the point of that, since you don't seem to understand the exercise in the first place?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government