MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Should the U.S. bomb Syria?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Should the U.S. bomb Syria?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Senator John McCain thinks so.

(McCain) predicted that some kind of intervention will happen, even if the United States does not act. "So the real question for U.S. policy is whether we will participate in this next phase of the conflict in Syria, and thereby increase our ability to shape an outcome that is beneficial to the Syrian people, and to us. I believe we must."

Sound like he is more concerned that al-Qaeda will lead the intervention than he is about the Syrian people being slaughtered by their dictator.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Should the U.S. bomb Syria?

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Does it really matter that much whether his concern is for the victims of the Assad government or someone he doesn't like shapes the outcome? To me, McCain's motives are immaterial. What is material is whether or not the U.S. should unilaterally decide to start bombing over there.

I would come down on the side of no. If there is support, similar to the effort in Libya, then we ought to act, playing a similar role.

Consider this in the context of the possibility of being dragged into airstrikes against Iranian nuclear facilities.....at about the same time. There is real risk that things could spin out of control over there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 pm

gargantua wrote:There is real risk that things could spin out of control over there.

Hmm, I would say the real risk is our thinking that things are under control over there--our control, in particular. That's when we launch yet another attack on yet another country only to realize that we don't have the faintest idea what we're doing or why we're doing it. And then even more people die, what's left of the infrastructure and wealth is looted, and we are again faced with the choice of staying and "rebuilding" a country we helped destroy for people who don't want us there, or declaring victory and leaving the rubble to be fought over among the survivors of our cupidity.

See U.S. foreign policy, history of (1898-present).
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Panetta: Unilateral action on Syria doesn't make sense

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta pushed back on Wednesday against fresh demands for U.S. military involvement in Syria to end President Bashar Assad's deadly crackdown on his people.

"What doesn't make sense is to take unilateral action right now," Panetta told the Senate Armed Services Committee about advising President Obama to dispatch U.S. forces. "I've got to make very sure we know what the mission is … achieving that mission at what price."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Why are we bombing Iran again? Nukes? Right. Why don't we bomb N Korea first? Or Pakistan...oh wait.

Syria? Bombs for bombs never work.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Crockett wrote:Why are we bombing Iran again?

We are?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Crockett wrote:Why are we bombing Iran again?

We are?

Sorry, comma nazi.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I had no idea you left off a comma. I read it only as it was written. I guess that makes me a nazi.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I would support another Libya-like operation, if the conditions to do so lined up. I certainly don't mind McCain rattling some cages, keeping the focus on the brutality there.

I don't see the regional support yet for a no-fly zone to protect civilians. It would be a lot harder to do than Libya. I'm worried about starting a wider Sunni-Shitte war, but maybe that is coming anyway. This is a hard case, much harder than Yugoslavia or Libya.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 pm

If you're a hammer, every situation needs a nail. Counting Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Libya as counties we have bombed or sent drones to in the last few years,(help me if you know of more) McCain is probably hoping we can get the other 190 countries before he floats up to the big aircraft carrier in the sky. So many countries, so little time. Sigh
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Huckleby wrote:I would support another Libya-like operation, if the conditions to do so lined up. I certainly don't mind McCain rattling some cages, keeping the focus on the brutality there.

McCain certainly has given Obama some political cover if he needs it. Perhaps that was the point of his statements.

In response to a different poster, I certainly didn't mean to imply that the U.S. has a great deal of control over events in the Middle East. I do believe that U.S. has a lot of influence there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:08 pm

gargantua wrote:In response to a different poster, I certainly didn't mean to imply that the U.S. has a great deal of control over events in the Middle East. I do believe that U.S. has a lot of influence there.

That was me--I was riffing off your phrase "spin out of control." The US does indeed have influence but not control--I don't, however, have much hope that policymakers in DC understand the difference. I don't think Obama will do anything unless forced by some circumstance--Iran invading Syria, for example. For one thing, it's an election year, which is not a good time to add yet another war to the menu.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:54 pm

NATO: Military plans ready to defend Turkey if shelling continues along Syrian border

The U.S., as a NATO member, might still be involved in combat in Syria.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:NATO: Military plans ready to defend Turkey if shelling continues along Syrian border

The U.S., as a NATO member, might still be involved in combat in Syria.

Even if the US doesn't participate directly in any NATO led activities, I'm sure it will be the US embassies that get protested at :?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Even if the US doesn't participate directly in any NATO led activities, I'm sure it will be the US embassies that get protested at

And why would that be?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government