MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Kony. A Name Children Fear

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Kony. A Name Children Fear

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

The Invisible Children campaign has launched a new effort to bring down Joseph Kony of the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda. This is the same slime that kidnaps children to be part of his army.

Here's the new Video (its about a half hour long):
http://vimeo.com/37119711

Joseph Kony Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kony

Invisible Children homepage:
http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

The video briefly touches on a few points that the US is gingerly stepping around with Syria and Iran regarding how our leaders choose to deploy our military resources. In this case we have no resources to protect and we are not coming under attack from these guerrilla fighters who claim to be defending the 10 commandments (So you Ron Paul supporters should know exactly where you stand on this issue).

However, the international community has almost unanimously agreed that this guy needs to be locked up forever for his crimes against humanity. Since "morality" has been thrown around here pretty liberally the last few days, what say you? Does the US have a moral obligation to put a bullet in this guy's ass?

I'd say its a more noble pursuit than a pissing match with Iran. But that's just me.

-Dan Motor

***edit 3/7/2012 I really wish I could delete this post now that Kony 2012 become a facebook sensation. Dammit.
Last edited by Endo Rockstar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Kony. A Name Children Fear

Postby kurt_w » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Back in October, Rush Limbaugh had what I nominated as possibly the lowest point of his career, when he used one of his broadcasts to defend the Lord's Resistance Army, recited some of their propaganda, and then blasted President Obama for "sending soldiers to fight the Christians in Africa".

Limbaugh apparently just hadn't done any actual research; he was taken in by pro-LRA propaganda and didn't bother to check it out. I wouldn't blame him (much) for that, except that he never bothered to apologize -- not to his listeners, not to President Obama, and not to the victims of the vile LRA thugs.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:55 pm

kurt_w wrote:Back in October, Rush Limbaugh had what I nominated as possibly the lowest point of his career, when he used one of his broadcasts to defend the Lord's Resistance Army, recited some of their propaganda, and then blasted President Obama for "sending soldiers to fight the Christians in Africa".

Limbaugh apparently just hadn't done any actual research; he was taken in by pro-LRA propaganda and didn't bother to check it out. I wouldn't blame him (much) for that, except that he never bothered to apologize -- not to his listeners, not to President Obama, and not to the victims of the vile LRA thugs.

Damn, I'm kind of ashamed I missed that thread completely. Good call.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm

http://animalnewyork.com/2012/03/how-in ... -in-africa

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Tough issue to really get a grip on, morally.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:http://animalnewyork.com/2012/03/how-invisible-childrens-kony-2012-convinced-thousands-of-americans-to-agitate-for-military-action-in-africa

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Tough issue to really get a grip on, morally.

I don't know what to make of Invisible Children. I found some of the same information for another charity rating organization with similar info. I guess what I'd really like to know if Invisible Children's primary purpose to simply document and inform? Or are they looking to use donations made to them for direct intervention in Uganda.

I'd love to see one of the NYtimes World reporters do a story on them and dig up the dirt.

either way, its crazy over there....feels bad man.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government