MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

A thread on health care reform for Meade

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

A thread on health care reform for Meade

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Meade is trying to discuss the PPACA health care reform bill in a thread about Walker's deceptive statements during the Wisconsin gubernatorial campaign. Several of us replied to Meade there, but fisticuffs quite reasonably pointed out that it's off-topic, and that we should start a new thread. So here we go.

I'll start things off with a few links:

Good News! Obamacare Will Cost Less than Projected - Kevin Drum

Plaintiff challenging healthcare law went bankrupt – with unpaid medical bills - Los Angeles Times
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A thread on health care reform for Meade

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:03 pm

kurt_w wrote:Meade is trying to discuss the PPACA health care reform bill in a thread [...]

Simply not true.
Own the topic yourself if you're interested in discussing health insurance. I'm not.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Meade wrote:
kurt_w wrote:Meade is trying to discuss the PPACA health care reform bill in a thread [...]

Simply not true.
Own the topic yourself if you're interested in discussing health insurance. I'm not.

Then you might want to change your password here, because someone seems to have hacked your account and posted this in the other thread:

Someone logged in as Meade wrote:In 2008 then-Senators Barack Obama and Joseph Biden campaigned against requiring adults to buy health Insurance. In 2009 President Obama reportedly "changed his mind" and agreed with insurance industry and Democratic Congressional proposals to include an individual mandate.

I don't believe there were any previous references to the health care reform bill in that thread until "Meade" introduced the topic.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:51 pm

He just doesn't want to argue with you because he knows you'll bring in actual facts and statistics and he'll lose. The entire readership knows this.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:55 pm

He just doesn't want to argue with you because he knows you'll bring in actual facts and statistics and he'll lose. The entire readership knows this.

True but in Meade's defense when you're inside the bubble that doesn't seem so cowardly and pathetic.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Good points.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Eh. I'm actually not looking for an argument.

Meade was pulling the other thread off-topic. Since I had inadvertently contributed to the threadjacking by responding to Meade, I thought I could make amends by starting a new thread. That's all.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:54 am

kurt_w wrote:Eh. I'm actually not looking for an argument.

Meade was pulling the other thread off-topic. Since I had inadvertently contributed to the threadjacking by responding to Meade, I thought I could make amends by starting a new thread. That's all.

I appreciate that, but you're being far too subtle and complex for Meade.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 am

Comparing Obama's campaign promises against Walker's for consistency is something I'd gladly do any day. Obama has come through on health care, bank regulations, forging policy, energy policy, DADT, and just about everything he campaigned on. None of those things were perfect or the way Liberals would have liked them but there's a reason for that. Each and every one of them is chock full of hundreds of compromises with and amendments from Republicans. If you're going to throw a fit over the mandate I can't believe you would be able to vote for Romney. The individual mandate was the Republican position until Obama came into office and after (see Mitt's NYT op-ed and Newt's commercial with the Evil Nancy Pelosi). The entire bill was modeled after Romney's own plan that is working like a charm in MA. Walker, on the other hand, has taken pre-written legislation from a national right wing think tank with questionable motives and donors and served it up one after another for our State legislature. He certainly didn't campaign on that. Obama is a leader who has gotten things in a bipartisan way despite pure hate and obstruction at every turn from Republicans. Walker is a franchise owner who serves up pre-cooked patties of right wing wet dream without one molecule of concern for the representatives and constituents who want a real leader. And there are a hell of a lot more of us than you think (or have been told). See ya at the polls Meade.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:04 am

fisticuffs wrote:And there are a hell of a lot more of us than you think (or have been told). See ya at the polls Meade.

According to Rush Limbaugh, there are about twice as many of "them" as there are of "us." The problem is that "we're" always dividing "them" and the vast left-wing media conspiracy (LSM) disheartens "them" so that they are convinced that "we'll" win.

I listened to quite a bit of Rush this week, partly to hear if he dug his hole deeper and partly to hear the commercials. Here are some nuggets of the type of deep thinking you'll get from Rush listeners in the weeks to come. The media has already declared Obama victorious for a second term. The media needs to register as a super-PAC for Obama because they are essentially an arm of his campaign. There is no reason to negotiate with "The Democrat Party" because there are twice as many of "us" than there are of "them." Economic news essentially amounts to media malpractice because despite the fact that first time claims for unemployment went up by 8000, the media claims that jobs were added. He actually spent about 30 minutes hammering this dunderheaded claim yesterday.

I doubt that Rush Limbaugh believes the stupid crap that comes out of his own mouth, but it sells well and has made him very rich. And it doesn't seem to matter how irrational his claims are, the only thing that matters is that his listeners believe virtually every word that dribbles from his festering pie-hole. It's a carefully crafted alternate universe and some of us have taken up permanent residence.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Then you'll like this Daily Beast article:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... isers.html

According to them, Limbaugh is losing major national advertisers now: Ford, GM, Toyota, Allstate, Geico, Prudential, State Farm, McDonald’s, and Subway are mentioned.

They offer some good analysis of the market forces and social media forces driving this change in allocation of advertising dollars.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:07 pm

No doubt, Sno. The commercials, especially in the beginning of the week were completely devoid of all of the usual big money radio advertisers. In their spots were a lot of Ad Council Public Service spots (government welfare!) and the local spots had a lot more of the WIBA Badger basketball and hockey ads, which are essentially ads for the radio station. I heard a few spots for a bike expo at the Alliant Energy Center and a new gold seller, Weedmaster(?), and some Plan Z zola diet something or other pill.

To be fair, Rush will fill those spots pretty quickly as he still has a huge audience and advertisers are interested in ratings above all else. Early in the week it's likely there just hadn't been time to sell the new slots and as the week dragged on they managed to churn out the new ads. For the companies advertising, spots on Rush Limbaugh are probably a real steal at the moment. Not only are they likely getting a discounted price for such a huge audience, but Rush's faithful are probably willing to shell out cash to those advertisers they perceive as being loyal to Rush.

Time will tell, but I suspect the big names that fled his show will creep back on after the firestorm blows over. They'll make station wide ad buys and just claim that they have no control over the specific time slots where the ads are aired and eventually they'll go back to regular ad buys on his show. He may be a lying, racist, sexist pig but there are a lot of idiots who hang on his every word. Idiots' money is just as green.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government