MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, August 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Wisconsin = Open Primary

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby snoqueen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

I love messing with the opposition as much as anybody, but that nonsense is why I'm staying out of the Republican primary this time around. I can hardly stand reading it and I could never mark my vote, even strategically, for a person like that.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi, my name is Brian Camenker; I'm a Jew from Massachusetts.


There once was a jew from nantucket
who scorned other men who would suck it
Then he met Lyle,
a handsome gentile,
and left the closet, "ahhh, fuck it!"
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:19 pm

snoqueen wrote: I could never mark my vote, even strategically, for a person like that.

You can and you will.

Look at me. Stare deeply into my eyes. Notice how you can see yourself in the reflection of my pupils. Your eyelids are heavy, so heavy, let them relax. you're getting sleepy, very sleepy.

now, picture yourself at the voting booth tomorrow. you read the name "Rick Santorum", and in your mind appears a dark haired man, Russ Feingold. Russ Feingold is the nice, dark-haired man you love. You are going to mark a line to "Rick Santorum" because you love Russ Feingold. And when you leave the voting booth, you will be very very happy.

Now wakeup and smell the coffee.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Nope. I've made my choice. Even if all others around me forsake their honor, I will keep mine. If that's the only way to win, then the battle was lost long ago.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 pm

rabble wrote: Even if all others around me forsake their honor, I will keep mine.

wow.

I do see the point of view that mischief voting is not quite cricket. But your rightousness is over the top.

By your standards of correctness, the WI legislators who fled to Illinois ought to be turned out of office, if not prosecuted. The teachers who got sick notes to protest should be brought before the PTA for public shaming. Both acts violated implicit contracts with the public and their employers, were not entirely honest.

I respect somebody who treats voting like a sacred act that must come from your heart. It's not the only legitimate way to view voting. I support a little measured civil disobediance now and then.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 am

Huckleby wrote:I do see the point of view that mischief voting is not quite cricket. But your rightousness is over the top.

I'm sorry. I was reading your last few posts and thought that was what we were going for. I apologize for the trauma it caused you.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby kurt_w » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 am

I usually have my daughter with me when I go to vote. This makes it difficult to engage in that kind of strategic voting, because I'd have to explain to her why I was asking for a Republican ballot.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 am

rabble wrote: I apologize for the trauma it caused you.

sorry isn't good enough. you'll be getting a visit from my attorney.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 am

kurt_w wrote:I usually have my daughter with me when I go to vote. This makes it difficult to engage in that kind of strategic voting, because I'd have to explain to her why I was asking for a Republican ballot.

What is a "Republican ballot?" This is the second time I've heard this phrase and I don't get it. You receive the same ballot as anyone else in your ward, regardless of who you intend to vote for.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby kurt_w » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 am

green union terrace chair wrote:
kurt_w wrote:I usually have my daughter with me when I go to vote. This makes it difficult to engage in that kind of strategic voting, because I'd have to explain to her why I was asking for a Republican ballot.

What is a "Republican ballot?" This is the second time I've heard this phrase and I don't get it. You receive the same ballot as anyone else in your ward, regardless of who you intend to vote for.


I moved away from Wisconsin several years ago. In my state, when I show up to vote in a primary, the election workers offer me a choice of ballots for different parties.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Stomach » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am

Confessions of Voter #96

I skipped over the Presidential section and marked all of my other choices first. I then returned to the top of the ballot.

Should I do it? Am I really going to vote for Santorum, if only to screw with the Republican party? I've done things like this before, but I was much younger and far more foolish than I am today.

Why not? Its a beautiful day in Wisconsin and our political situation here is already a mess.

My pen hovered over his name. I felt clammy, sweaty even.

As I slowly marked the section next to Santorum's name a frothy, brown discharge oozed from my pen.

It was not pleasant.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:28 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:45 am

thanks for taking one for the team. you have a strong Stomach
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6467
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby Steve Vokers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:51 am

I voted for the brown frothy discharge. I think I need a shower.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby DCB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 am

rabble wrote:Nope. I've made my choice. Even if all others around me forsake their honor, I will keep mine. If that's the only way to win, then the battle was lost long ago.

Yup. I couldn't do it either.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2618
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Wisconsin = Open Primary

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 am

DCB wrote:
rabble wrote:Nope. I've made my choice. Even if all others around me forsake their honor, I will keep mine. If that's the only way to win, then the battle was lost long ago.

Yup. I couldn't do it either.


I guess the battle was lost long ago then. I'm not going to criticize anyone's vote. But please go easy on the sanctimony. We each own our own vote. We have the constitutional right to vote for whoever we want to, for any reason. Choosing to cast a ballot that weakens my opponent so my candidate has a better chance of winning is a strategic choice. Where is it written that this is illegal or dishonorable?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4048
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar