MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama publicly calls-out Supreme Court

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama publicly calls-out Supreme Court

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 am

C'mon guys - every president gets in to it with the Supreme Court sooner or later.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

rrnate wrote:C'mon guys - every president gets in to it with the Supreme Court sooner or later.

yes, and while court is deliberating, later is mo better
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Obama thinks he's FDR.

While FDR also called out the Supreme Court, Obama isn't trying to court pack.

And Obama isn't calling for John Roberts impeachment, like the conservatives did for Earl Warren.

He might not need to. Both Kennedy and Scalia are currently 76 years old. Thomas is 64. It's conceivable that two or three of these conservative justices will retire in the next four years which makes Election 2012 all that much more important.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 am

peej, are you kidding?! None of the hard core right wingers on the SC will retire unless and until they can be assured that there is a Republican president in place to make the next appointments. Look no further than Rehnquist for the pattern - the man was dying and he would not "officially" retire. Unhappily for this country and its laws, because Rehnquist had the really bad taste and timing to die when he did, we now have Roberts not only on the court but as chief. A justice who has not only no problem at all "legislating from the bench", but who also makes unbelievable stretches in attempting to explain decisions (see, "Citizens United").

I continue to be worried about Ginsburg - her health is not the best and I'm not sure how long she can hold out. I breathed a sigh of relief when Obama won because I thought surely now she would retire. But she is still hanging in there (thank god, we need her!).
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

By the way, I tend to agree with Huck on this one - I think Obama made a figurative face-plant with his comments. Roberts, Scalia and Alito already can't stand him and have obviously felt publicly embarrassed by the president in the past. So why on god's green earth would Obama do that again? It's not only not going to get him anywhere, it is only going to make those justices dig in their judicial heels even harder just to show that they "are in charge here".
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

bleurose wrote:I continue to be worried about Ginsburg - her health is not the best and I'm not sure how long she can hold out. I breathed a sigh of relief when Obama won because I thought surely now she would retire. But she is still hanging in there (thank god, we need her!).

I agree that Ginsburg with her two bouts with cancer places Dems in more vulnerable position. I sure wish she had retired during Obama's first term.

I expect all of the justices will soldier-on into their 80's. It's not clear that either side has demographic edge over coming decade.

Imagine what court would look like if McCain had won election!

51 Kagan
57 Roberts
57 Sotomayor
62 Alito
63 Thomas

73 Breyer
75 Kennedy
76 Scalia

79 Ginsburg
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Huckleby wrote:Imagine what court would look like if McCain had won election!

Jesus, Huck, that's a terrible thought. It would have been a freakin' disaster. You'd have seven right-wing justices, plus the aging Ginsburg, plus Breyer.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:03 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... _blog.html

Ruth Marcus, a reliably liberal commentator, puts her finger on Obama's gaffe. Obama incorrectly challenged the institution o fthe Supreme Court.

The problem is that this inappropriate attack on the Supreme Court will make it more difficult for Obama to run against an activist Supreme Court, if necessary, later this year. Obama really soiled his bed on this one.

Conservatives are roasting him:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0412/74773.html
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 pm

I initially agreed with you, Huck. Obama's response first appears almost embarrassing. Naturally the right wing media will jump all over it. But then, they jump all over everything he does even when it was previously a conservative position. I also recall what the cons did to Gore in 2000 when took the respectful route. These guys don't have enough of a conscience to follow Constitutional law to begin with. So maybe the only gamble worth taking is turning up the heat in advance as long as it's followed by more heat.

One thing for sure is that it's sad to see what's become of the court.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm

At least Justice Thomas didn't say anything negative.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:07 pm

gargantua wrote:At least Justice Thomas didn't say anything negative.
On the other hand, his usual acumen and wit were on full display.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:53 pm

and now the Justice Dept is getting called out for Obama's comments by an Appeals court judge.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162- ... care-case/

Granted the guy looks to be a fairly conservative Reagan appointee, but the last thing a Justice Department lawyer needs in the middle of a hearing is to be questioned on his or her understanding of grade school civics lessons.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:and now the Justice Dept is getting called out for Obama's comments by an Appeals court judge.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162- ... care-case/

Granted the guy looks to be a fairly conservative Reagan appointee, but the last thing a Justice Department lawyer needs in the middle of a hearing is to be questioned on his or her understanding of grade school civics lessons.

You know what this proves? That Obama was right. Judges are increasingly playing partisan politics. Do you suppose this Federal judge is looking for clarification from the Executive or simply trying to make the news cycle? Judges are pretty used to politicians weighing in on cases before and after their decisions. Such commentary is not unusual, nor is it exclusive to either party.

I think this judge's ability to make sound and unbiased decisions is extremely suspect given that he went out of his way to insert himself into the political news cycle. I don't think the Senate would be out of line in looking into his fitness to serve. His order that the Justice Department file a brief confirming the power of the judiciary seems petty and vindictive, especially considering that neither the President nor the lawyers in his courtroom challenged his judicial authority.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 am

pjbogart wrote:You know what this proves? That Obama was right. Judges are increasingly playing partisan politics. Do you suppose this Federal judge is looking for clarification from the Executive or simply trying to make the news cycle? Judges are pretty used to politicians weighing in on cases before and after their decisions. Such commentary is not unusual, nor is it exclusive to either party.

Totally agree that the judge was out of line; but just because the president might be right about judges playing partisan politics, doesn't mean he wasn't out of line too. The language Obama used went far beyond commenting on a case and came far closer to telling the court how to do their job. Given he is in fact a knowledgeable lawyer and constitutional scholar only makes it worse, especially when he claimed that overturning the health care law would be unprecedented.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Totally agree that the judge was out of line; but just because the president might be right about judges playing partisan politics, doesn't mean he wasn't out of line too. The language Obama used went far beyond commenting on a case and came far closer to telling the court how to do their job. Given he is in fact a knowledgeable lawyer and constitutional scholar only makes it worse, especially when he claimed that overturning the health care law would be unprecedented.

This is exactly right.

To a well informed person, that partisian judge made a fool of himself, but still the right-wing media has been able to use the incident as a propoganda tool to amplify Obama's gaffe.

Obama tried to walk-back his statements yesterday. Maybe this misstep will be forgotten, but I fear it has taken some of the wind out of the sails of Supreme Court critics.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government