MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, January 31, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sophie's Choice: Would you vote for Romney-Walker?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Would you vote for a Romney-Walker ticket if it would get Walker out of Wisconsin?

Yes, banish him to the Beltway.
20%
No, don't give him a bigger sandbox. We'll suck up the next 2-1/2 years.
80%

Total votes : 5

Sophie's Choice: Would you vote for Romney-Walker?

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 am

This hypothetical question is largely aimed at Democratic voters.

Based on the following:
MILWAUKEE- UWM Political Science Professor Mordecai Lee is making a bold prediction for the Republican VP candidate: Scott Walker.

Lee told Newsradio 620 WTMJ's Wisconsin's Afternoon News with John Mercure that he believes current Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, who is currently facing a recall election, would be a perfect candidate for vice president.
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/146900655.html

Scenario X: Walker wins his early summer recall election and holds on to the governor's mansion. Mitt Romney calls him up and asks him to be his VP candidate. Do you vote for Romney-Walker if it means it will get Scott out of Wisconsin?

What's worse to you: a Romney presidency or more Walker gubernatorilizing? Or is VP Walker potentially an even greater threat? One heartbeat away from ...

Today I have soyned legislation outlawing the Soviet Union, we begin bombing in five minutes' toyme.**

**My attempt at writing in a Walkerian accent.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sophie's Choice: Would you vote for Romney-Walker?

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am

you appear to have forgotten the Kleefisch part of the equation
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 am

Now that he doesn't have a free run of the Senate and has had a couple of his bills legally challenged I think the next 2 and half years of his term would be less terrible. He doesn't add anything to a Romney ticket though so he's not going anywhere but hopefully home.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:you appear to have forgotten the Kleefisch part of the equation

Yeah, that would seem to be an insurmountable problem with g.u.t.c.'s suggestion.

Aside from that, I really doubt that Walker (or Paul Ryan, for that matter) would get the VP nod from Romney.

If you look at the poll numbers right now, Obama is killing Romney among independents, especially women. What Romney needs is someone who will appeal to centrists and independents, and ideally someone who'd reduce rather than increase the gender gap.

Walker is presiding over the state with arguably the worst job-growth record in the nation. He's also a very polarizing figure, the exact opposite of what Romney needs right now.

If God ordered Romney to pick a Wisconsin Republican as his running mate, Romney would be much better off with Tommy Thompson than either Walker or Ryan. But in reality none of them will be on the ticket.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

kurt_w wrote:If you look at the poll numbers right now, Obama is killing Romney among independents, especially women. What Romney needs is someone who will appeal to centrists and independents, and ideally someone who'd reduce rather than increase the gender gap.

Wasn't that McCain's basic line of thought when he chose his running mate?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 pm

rabble wrote:Wasn't that McCain's basic line of thought when he chose his running mate?

I have no idea. But let's say that was his line of thought. Should Romney conclude that because McCain tried to do X and then lost the election, Romney shouldn't try to do X?

That's Meade-worthy logic there.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:you appear to have forgotten the Kleefisch part of the equation

I didn't ... I left it for you to discover. If Walker wins the recall I expect Kleefisch wins as well (regardless of her having to "run alone").

kurt_w wrote:Aside from that, I really doubt that Walker (or Paul Ryan, for that matter) would get the VP nod from Romney.

IRRELEVANT! This is about one particular nightmare scenario.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government