MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Mitt Romney 2012

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Mitt Romney 2012

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Mitt shows distain for copyright laws.

Band demands Romney campaign stop using its song

"Seems as if the GOP is once again whimsically ignoring our great nation's laws to do whatever it wants to do, and shooting itself in the foot in the process," band representative Ken Weinstein said in a statement Wednesday.

"Without any regard for copyright or intellectual property laws, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has, without permission, begun to use Silversun Pickups' 2009 smash 'Panic Switch' at campaign stops across the country," the band said.

This seems to happen during every presidential campaign and usually it's the GOP candidate who is the scofflaw.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This seems to happen during every presidential campaign and usually it's the GOP candidate who is the scofflaw.

I think bands see it as pretty cheap advertising to make a stink about their song being played at campaign stops. Of course, if its Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen I guess it may be more of a principled complaint.

So who are the conservative rockers that Republicans are allowed to play at events? Everyone knows the Nuge, but really, how many times can you stomach "Cat Scratch Fever"? A couple of the Ramones, at least. The Stray Cats. Megadeth. The Beach Boys seem to be the most well known but when they play their hit song "Kokomo" it sounds more like a list of places Mitt Romney hid his money.

All apologies to whatever comedian I stole that from... I think I heard it on the radio one morning.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:09 pm

So who are the conservative rockers that Republicans are allowed to play at events?

They can play all the Toby Keith they can stand.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:12 pm

pjbogart wrote:So who are the conservative rockers that Republicans are allowed to play at events?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLQI8X2R6Y
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Saw my first Romney bumper sticker this afternoon. It was on a shiny, white Cadillac Deville which made me chuckle. Isn't that Ann's vehicle(s) of choice?
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: (I never paid less than twice that rate during the last ten years.)

You never paid less than 26% on your gross income? Before deductions?

You need to get an accountant.

Americans making $50-75,000/yr pay on average a bit more than 12% percent on gross income. In federal income tax. (Not counting SS, state or local taxes etc)

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11 pm

My house is paid for, so I don't have enough deductions to itemize. Maybe next April, as our medical expenses have skyrocketed thanks to Walker's attack on public workers. But you are in Puerto Rico so you probably don't know about that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
What are you talking about? Of course it's gain. It's $280,000 more dollars that you have in your pocket before you started.

Not the part that is due to inflation. It is no gain at all.

Stebben84 wrote:Also, none of this takes into account remodeling, changes in the neighborhood, changes in the city, or a host of other issues.

Quite so. It was PJ who seemed to say that it was all due to inflation. I said "a large part but not all" may be due to inflation. There are definitely other factors involved as you point out.

Stebben84 wrote:One could argue that anything appreciating over time(sports memorabilia, antiques, art, etc.) is only gaining because of inflation. That would be stupid.

Why would it be stupid? Some portion of the apparent gain in these things, though probably not all, is due to inflation. Same concept applies. Why should one pay taxes on inflation?

Stebben84 wrote:Or course, John, you could tell us about some class you took, or seminar, or some book that makes you an apparent expert on everything. I believe you think you're a lot smarter than you really are.

Actually I am one of the guys that leads the seminars and writes the books. I've been studying, teaching, doing, writing on this stuff since the mid 70's. I've been teaching business finance, macro, micro and managerial economics (in addition to other courses) continuously since 1982.

My resume is online and surely someone as smart as you can find it. If you want a more detailed CV, just ask and I'll email it.

Now, since you asked and I answered about my qualifications to discuss these things, what about yours?

Where does your knowledge come from, Nemo?

John Henry

14:27 edited to fix a funky quote
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My house is paid for, so I don't have enough deductions to itemize. Maybe next April, as our medical expenses have skyrocketed thanks to Walker's attack on public workers. But you are in Puerto Rico so you probably don't know about that.

My wife is a public schoolteacher going on 45 years now. She has always had to pay a big chunk of her health insurance. Currently about $650/month for the 2 of us. I think an office visit has a $20 co-pay.

She has always had to contribute substantially to her retirement plan.

So I've never had a lot of sympathy for Wisconsin teachers having to carry their own weight.

Neither, apparently, do the people of Wisconsin.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Wino wrote:Saw my first Romney bumper sticker this afternoon. It was on a shiny, white Cadillac Deville which made me chuckle. Isn't that Ann's vehicle(s) of choice?

Unlike wealthy Demmies who tend to favor BMW's Lexus's (Lexi?), Audis Mercedes and other foreign owned cars. (Even if made in the US)

Right?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:This seems to happen during every presidential campaign and usually it's the GOP candidate who is the scofflaw.

As well as Demmies.

I don't know if this is the case here but in the past there have been instances where a campaign has licensed the rights through the appropriate agency then had the artist turn around and claim that they had not authorized a pol to use the music.

The campaign had done nothing wrong, had paid for the music and the artist simply revoked the permission. No harm, no foul.

As you note, it is good publicity. First the playing of the music and then the hubub when the artist claims foul.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:41 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
pjbogart wrote:

As well as Demmies.

Link, please.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:59 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:My house is paid for, so I don't have enough deductions to itemize. Maybe next April, as our medical expenses have skyrocketed thanks to Walker's attack on public workers. But you are in Puerto Rico so you probably don't know about that.

My wife is a public schoolteacher going on 45 years now. She has always had to pay a big chunk of her health insurance. Currently about $650/month for the 2 of us. I think an office visit has a $20 co-pay.

I paid similar amounts even prior to Walker's attack on public worker bennies.

BTW, does your wife even have to pay federal incom tax? Most Puerto Ricans do not.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:04 pm

jman111 wrote:I wonder if JH thinks we should be able to deduct "losses" on our cash assets due to inflation.

That is a rather convoluted way of putting it but I guess my answer would be yes.

What do you have in mind, keeping the cash in a safe deposit box? We could perhaps argue that the loss from inflation is a tax on stupidity and thus justified.

More likely you are going to keep it in some sort of account that generates a return. Perhaps a passbook savings account.

Let us assume an inflation rate of 5%, an interest rate of 5% and an initial $100. At the end of 10 years you are in the same position purchasing power wise as you were when you started.

However, you would have earned about $63 in interest on which you have to pay tax, say 20%. So instead of being even, you will actually be about $12.50 in the hole in terms of what your original $100 is worth?

You are OK with that?

I'm not. It is why I think taxes in general and capital gains taxes in particular should be indexed to inflation.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government