MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Cool

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Cool

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

So apparently Karl Rove believes running ads describing the president as "cool" is a good strategy. Some believe "cool" is simply another way of calling him "black." I don't know if I buy that.

I do buy that "cool" is pretty much the opposite of what goes on at the Tea Party. If you've ever been to one of these deals, you'd know that the vast majority of those gathered avoid cool. They wear gaudy t-shirts, hike their jeans up, aggressively opt for comfort at the expense of style with their footwear, attach a minimum of two things to their belts (including, but not limited to, a phone, a camera, binoculars, knife, leatherman), often employ some sort of device or technology that turns their real glasses into sunglasses... and they can't get out of downtown Madison fast enough when the vitriol machine gets turned off. The coolest dudes at the Tea Party smoke cigars (seriously) and talk about guns in the hopes of pissing off a passing liberal. Nothing cooler than that, Chip!

But not only are they not cool, they don't respond positively to cool. Anybody slicker than Vicki McKenna is way too slick. If you have a college degree, you're an elitist. If you live in a city, you're a snob. So it wouldn't surprise me if the word "cool" tested really negatively in focus groups among the base, which desperately needs rallying as Moderate Mitt shakes his Etch-a-Sketch for the general.

Plus, Obama isn't even really that cool.

http://gawker.com/5906798/a-guide-to-ba ... ournalists
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cool

Postby Meade » Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

Writing, citing, or caring about Guides to Cool = cool

Trouble is, cool has been uncool for more than 30 years now.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu May 03, 2012 10:03 am

Meade wrote:Trouble is, cool has been uncool for more than 30 years now.

Uh, maybe for you poindexter.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 am

See what I mean?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

jjoyce wrote:S
Plus, Obama isn't even really that cool.

http://gawker.com/5906798/a-guide-to-ba ... ournalists

Meh - that Gawker article is kinda dumb - for a President, Obama is indeed pretty cool. That being said, Rove's strategy is pretty stupid. The U.S. Flag T-shirt Crowd is already not going to vote for Obama; they didn't before and they won't now. Rove is surprisingly missing the mark here - he needs to move the needle with undecideds. Just goes to show that other than the same lame "culture war" thing which is his stock and trade, he doesn't have a lot of other tricks up his (stretched, due to ungainly fat) sleeve.
Last edited by rrnate on Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 am

Meade wrote:See what I mean?

Look Fonzie, cool is never "not cool". However, if it helps you get it up by telling yourself that there is no cool and you're as cool as it gets, by all means.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I think New Media Meade, master of the interwebz, just called us uncool.

He really knows how to twist the knife.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I always look to balding, 62-year-old butterballs with the nickname Fart Blossom for my dose of cool. I mean, if it's good enough for W (who did coke before it was cool), then it's good enough for me.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 03, 2012 2:51 pm

rrnate wrote:The U.S. Flag T-shirt Crowd is already not going to vote for Obama; they didn't before and they won't now. Rove is surprisingly missing the mark here - he needs to move the needle with undecideds.

For all of the heaps of criticism I'd love to pile on Karl Rove, "missing the mark" on propaganda isn't an accusation I'd make. He's attacking his opponent's strength, namely that Obama is relatively cool for a politician. Obama is also a strong orator, hence the teleprompter theme.

The fact that Rove is still reaching out to the Teapers tells me that they're still concerned about an enthusiasm gap. To be fair, Obama has lost much of his luster but his slick speeches may recover it by the time he really needs it. Romney on the other hand is simply a bore. He doesn't relate to people, particularly people who work for an hourly wage, Evangelical Christians and people with a fixed income (which covers most of the Tea Party crowd). The fear isn't that they'll vote for Obama, but rather that they won't vote at all. The lack of enthusiasm could sink Romney, but perhaps more importantly would prove devastating to the candidates down the ticket.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 03, 2012 3:09 pm

I heard somebody on NPR talking about this: You have two fairly moderate, pragmatic and intelligent candidates. So this ought to be a campaign about ideas and issues.

But it will probably be more about "White guys drive like this. Black guys drive like this."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli proves cool does not equal black.

As does Steve Urkel.

The KKK proves cool does not equal white.

As does Meade.

Steve McQueen proves we are all nerds by comparison.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:Romney on the other hand is simply a bore. He doesn't relate to people, particularly people who work for an hourly wage, Evangelical Christians and people with a fixed income (which covers most of the Tea Party crowd).

I read that part and it struck me that Romney's sort of a creepy Republican version of John Kerry. Or maybe creepy-er.

I've got to go get some images of the two of them and put them side by side.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 03, 2012 3:20 pm

jjoyce wrote:I heard somebody on NPR talking about this: You have two fairly moderate, pragmatic and intelligent candidates. So this ought to be a campaign about ideas and issues.

But it will probably be more about "White guys drive like this. Black guys drive like this."

So far I think more time has been spent on the differences in how the candidates are horrible to dogs
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu May 24, 2012 8:59 pm

rabble wrote:I read that part and it struck me that Romney's sort of a creepy Republican version of John Kerry.

The weird thing is that Mitt Romney earned all of his money, while kerry got his, each time, from the woman he was with.

I guess kerry has been all about mooching off of rich women while Romney has been all about earning his. That may indeed sound creepy to some, for some reason.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

So Mitt didn't get any family support, just made money by taking over companies, firing people and destroying lives?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government