MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Grenell and Romney

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Grenell and Romney

Postby kurt_w » Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 am

So, Romney had appointed this guy Richard Grenell to be the face of his campaign on foreign policy. Then they started taking flak from the radical right, because Grenell is gay. So they kept him under wraps and wouldn't let him do his job, and after a few days he resigned.

Now, from what I've read, Grenell is a pretty awful person, whose views on foreign policy and national security ought to disqualify him from ever being taken seriously.

But it wasn't Grenell's kooky views on foreign policy that caused the Romney campaign to force him out. It was Romney's cowardly unwillingness to stand up to the religious right. In other words, Romney just signaled that he's willing to sacrifice what he thinks is his best foreign policy expert to appease some loudmouthed Christianist bigots.

Romney as president would be a disaster. The guy has all the backbone of a gummi worm.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Grenell and Romney

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 am

If he can't stand up to the right wing of his own party, how's he going to stand up to guys like Putin or bin Laden?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 am

Steve Vokers wrote:If he can't stand up to the right wing of his own party, how's he going to stand up to guys like Putin or bin Laden?

Ned Flanders to post pic of President Obama bowing to the Saudi king in 10...9...

All joking aside, today's GOP absolutely does not care about the above question. They care that there is a "D" behind Pres. Obama's name. That is a far more egregious error than having no spine.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 am

The Grenell incident is more raw material for ads and editorials to convince the already-convinced that Romney would be a horrible president. By itself, would it turn any undecided votes? Or does it just add to a cumulative negative impression that becomes a drag on his candidacy?

Romney is starting to look like the ultimate wimp with no fixed personal opinions whatsoever, or at least none that he'll stand behind. Maybe that's the best use to make of this stuff.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am

snoqueen wrote: Or does it just add to a cumulative negative impression that becomes a drag on his candidacy?

I think you nailed it right there. Most people are willing to give politicians a little bit of slack, just understanding the nature of the business. But this type of thing adds up, and I think Romney is running out of slack.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri May 04, 2012 11:13 am

gargantua wrote:But this type of thing adds up, and I think Romney is running out of slack.

I believe the Rev. Stang would agree that Romney was never, ever in possession of Slack.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
gargantua wrote:But this type of thing adds up, and I think Romney is running out of slack.

I believe the Rev. Stang would agree that Romney was never, ever in possession of Slack.

UNLESS Romney is Bob.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Here's what another gay Republican public servant has to say about the Grenell case:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... ml?hpid=z7

...Romney’s slowness to comment amid the noise since Grenell’s resignation raises questions about his principles, as well as the quality and depth of his leadership. That’s what should concern us most in this sad affair. We should expect Romney to go further in making clear that issues of sexual orientation will have no bearing on any personnel decisions he makes....

The writer seems to hope for and expect the day to come when the Republican Party stops "harboring" anti-gay biases. I wish he'd told us why he continues to hope for this improbable outcome given that the party has staked a portion of its public appeal directly on those biases.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri May 04, 2012 10:59 pm

scratch wrote:UNLESS Romney is Bob.

He's got the face, I'll grant you, but have you ever seen Romney with a pipe?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government