MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Richard Lugar gets Teaped

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Richard Lugar gets Teaped

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 08, 2012 7:10 pm

I know that most politicos will say that Richard Mourdock is now in the driver's seat for the Indiana Senate seat, but I'd like to see Democrats treat this as an open seat worthy of money and effort. As the Tea Party continues to cleave off moderate and independent voters from their coalition, Democrats would do well to treat States like Indiana in play.

Indiana's Lugar loses
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Richard Lugar gets Teaped

Postby narcoleptish » Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am

Lugar always seemed like a decent guy. He's been around forever and maybe it was time for new blood, but booting him out because he reached across the aisle? Where the fuck are we going?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

narcoleptish wrote:Where the fuck are we going?

To debt hell? (Not that you would care.)
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Meade wrote:...debt hell...

Speaks volumes about the similarities between blind adherence to political or religious ideology.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Did Meade worry about "debt hell" when he voted for Bush for his second term? After all, Bush got our nation into "debt hell" with his costly and unnecessary invasion of Iraq while at the same time giving huge tax breaks to the super rich and to large, profitable corporations. Much of our present debt is due to the interest paid on bonds to pay for Bush's war. Who ever heard of tax breaks during wartime? That was unprecedented.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

RICHARD MOURDOCK: Well, what I've said is that I certainly think bipartisanship ought to consist of Democrats coming to the Republican point of view. [...] Bipartisanship means they have to come our way

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/0 ... etail=hide

What an asshole. This is the same crap that Ron Johnson is pulling and he hasn't made many friends in the Senate. And people wonder why shit can't get done?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Words mean what he says they mean, and not a bit more or a bit less. So that's the new definition of bipartisanship teap style. Glad we got that straightened out.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
RICHARD MOURDOCK: Well, what I've said is that I certainly think bipartisanship ought to consist of Democrats coming to the Republican point of view. [...] Bipartisanship means they have to come our way

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/0 ... etail=hide

What an asshole. This is the same crap that Ron Johnson is pulling and he hasn't made many friends in the Senate. And people wonder why shit can't get done?

Democrats have come to the Republican point of view, sadly. Republicans, in turn, have come to the Tea Party point of view.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 pm

narcoleptish wrote:booting him out because he reached across the aisle?

He's not lived in his "home" state for over three decades. But then again, hillary suddenly became a NY resident and democrat milwaukee aldermen are moving into black districts to maintain their place in the milwaukee democrat machine, so what do I know?

I guess ol vacant lugar just kept agreeing to spending and taxing and taxing and spending too many times.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Cornbread wrote:I guess ol vacant lugar just kept agreeing to spending and taxing and taxing and spending too many times.

Fine by me. Lugar had a safe seat. Now it's up for grabs. That hardly seems like a plus for Republicans.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 25, 2012 10:14 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... ory_2.html

This one almost deserved a topic of its own, but it fits here too. What we're seeing in Indiana with Lugar and all over is a perversion of the original meaning of conservative and what it represented -- and still can represent -- to many of us. I would like to read the comments of the "conservatives" on this board with regard to the op-ed in this link.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am

Meade wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Where the fuck are we going?

To debt hell? (Not that you would care.)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/obama- ... genumber=1
Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

Don't let facts get in the way of your ideology!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am

Why is E.J Dionne Jr. so condescending toward conservatives? He keeps using the term "communal" but never defines it.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 am

Meade wrote:Why is E.J Dionne Jr. so condescending toward conservatives? He keeps using the term "communal" but never defines it.

Two very good points. Conservatives are pretty consistent about taking the high road, and have never been condescending towards liberals, so any remarks of Dionne's that might be construed as condescending are grounds for discounting the entire article.

And if a freakin moderate doesn't know what a community is, conservatives certainly wouldn't, which would explain why they seem to have lost touch with theirs.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am

DCB wrote:
Although there was a big stimulus bill under Obama, federal spending is rising at the slowest pace since Dwight Eisenhower brought the Korean War to an end in the 1950s.

Don't let facts get in the way of your ideology!

What happens when you take Nutting's spending numbers and show them as a percentage of GDP? Also, what happens to his numbers when you attribute 2009 spending to Obama instead of Bush, as Nutting does?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government