MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Birther Obama

Postby Meade » Thu May 17, 2012 3:44 pm

"No Person except a natural born Citizen," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-bo ... zen_clause

What do you think? I've resisted all the birther stuff for the last four years. But this looks like something else - something in the zone of Elizabeth Warren checking the box for Native American followed by unchecking the box.

Does Obama have some explaining to do? Or is this just more political dirty tricks by the right wing Koch/ALEC influenced GOP hate machine?
Last edited by Meade on Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Meade is a birther. Who'd a thunk?

Here is the actual quote from the above cited Wiki article:
Barack Obama (born 1961), 44th president of the United States, was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to a U.S. citizen mother and a British subject father from what was then the Kenya Colony of the United Kingdom (which became the independent country of Kenya in 1963).
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu May 17, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

An ad hominem from Henry Vilas. Who could've predicted.

Anyone with a thought, opinion, perspective, etc. on the merits?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Where did you come up with that quote, you disingenuous fuck?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 17, 2012 3:55 pm

This thread should provide an excellent test of self control. Can you resist getting involved? Or do you have the strength to walk on by?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu May 17, 2012 3:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:This thread should provide an excellent test of self control. Can you resist getting involved? Or do you have the strength to walk on by?

Like you just did?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I read the article. Here's the part that stood out to me:

"The errant Obama biography in the Acton & Dystel booklet does not contradict the authenticity of Obama's birth certificate. Moreover, several contemporaneous accounts of Obama’s background describe Obama as having been born in Hawaii."
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Thu May 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Good catch, Right Bower. My working theory is he was born in Hawaii. So I'm not a birther. It's the sort of checking one box when it gives you an advantage and then not checking that box when it doesn't that I find hard to take.

Anyone else? (Why administrator Jason Joyce wants to discourage discussion on this topic is beyond me. Could it, once again, be viewpoint discrimination? Jason?)
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 17, 2012 4:19 pm

You lied with that make up quote. Why should we trust anything you say if you are that dishonest?

BTW, that is not included in the definition of an ad homimem.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Meade wrote:Good catch, Right Bower. My working theory is he was born in Hawaii. So I'm not a birther. It's the sort of checking one box when it gives you an advantage and then not checking that box when it doesn't that I find hard to take.

Anyone else? (Why administrator Jason Joyce wants to discourage discussion on this topic is beyond me. Could it, once again, be viewpoint discrimination? Jason?)

Thanks.

This too:

"He indicated that while "almost nobody" wrote his or her own biography, the non-athletes in the booklet, whom "the agents deal[t] with on a daily basis," were "probably" approached to approve the text as presented."
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby massimo » Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm

This is the Fox News tactic, run a story about the belief of "some" that Obama was not born in the U.S. Have the text on the screen read "Obama: born in Kenya?"

Is Meade claiming Obama was born in Kenya. Oh, of course not. But look! We're having the discussion again, and some half-wit out there now believes Obama was born in Kenya. Success.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby EBL » Thu May 17, 2012 5:38 pm

http://evilbloggerlady.blogspot.com/2012/05/obama-kenya-birther-story-from-obamas.html

Either Obama's literary agent made a very bad mistake or Obama gave the agent that information for his book bio.

I am not a birther. I believe Obama was born in Hawaii. But I have suspected he may have used his Kenyan background to get into Punahoe, Columbia, and Harvard. And he may have implied he was foreign born.

And for birthers, this is a vindication that they are not completely conspiracy nuts (with vindication from Obama's own agent).

So it is fair to say Obama is having a bad week.
EBL

Postby EBL » Thu May 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I still think Barack Obama was born in Hawaii. But did he ever fib to get into Punahoe, Columbia and Harvard? We can't tell, the records are all sealed.

It is fair to say that Barack Obama is having a bad week.
EBL

Postby johnschultz » Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 pm

This Mead guy is an idiot. I saw him @ our rallys and he creeped me out w/ his camera. He seems very passive-aggresive.
johnschultz

Postby DKWalser » Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm

The issue Meade is raising is NOT about where Obama was born. The issue is whether, in promotional materials, Obama claimed to have been born in Kenya.

Obama's literary agent produced pamphlet containing Obama's bio. In that bio, it's claimed that Obama was born in Kenya. If Obama wrote (or approved in advance) the bio, we have an issue. That would call into question his integrity and his affection for this country. On the other hand, if Obama didn't see the text of his bio until after it had been published, there is no issue. It's just a mistake made by someone else.

I've had my bio published in connection with journal articles I've written and speeches I've given. In each case, I've either been asked to provide or to approve the text of my bio. It's hard to believe that Obama's agent would have written the bio without Obama's input. Possible? Yes, but highly unlikely.
DKWalser

Next

Return to National Politics & Government