MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"

Postby Detritus » Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:I think where he says he was born matters, or doesn't truth matter anymore?

You're the one saying he says (or said) he was born in Kenya. All you've provided to prove that he says (or said) he was born in Kenya is a publicity paper that has no verifiable author. You imply that he wrote it--or at least the blog you linked to implies it, and you don't seem to have disputed that.

That's the truth--does that matter to you?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 pm

"Unless you’re a credulous rube, it sure does look like Obama told his literary agency that he was born in Kenya for some reason. And the false information wasn’t corrected until April 2007, a couple of months after he launched his presidential campaign.

“But wait,” you protest. “How do you know Obama wrote that? How do you know he ever even saw it? Shut up!” Well, we all know that Obama is the exception to every rule, so maybe he’s the exception to this one too. Author and television producer Steve Boman writes at Breitbart.com about his own mid-’90s working relationship with literary agent Miriam Goderich, the woman who now claims the “born in Kenya” misinformation was somehow a “fact-checking error”:

Now let me say right up front: when it comes to Obama, I’m not going to speculate who wrote what, when. Dystel had assistants, one of whom is now her partner, Miriam Goderich, who says the whole Obama-born-in-Kenya thing was a fact-checking mistake by her. And I cannot speak specifically to the mechanism of Dystel’s publicity. (Alas, Dystel was unable to sell anything I wrote, so she had no reason to promote me, but I’m getting ahead of myself.)

I can speak of what she was like to work with and how she generated material. In my dealings with Dystel, I found her exceptionally thorough and very professional. She had a template she wanted non-fiction writers to follow, and my writing partner and I followed her template closely. She was rather fastidious, going so far as to mail a personal “Season’s Greetings” card in December.

All material she used in our proposals came directly from me and my writing partner. She edited our rough-draft proposals and gave us feedback, but the final versions were all ours. Our final versions, bio included, were then simply photo-copied, by us, and distributed to potential publishers. This was back in the pre-Google days, recall.

I was asked to write the bio in the third person.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/18/why-w ... z1vNn4C98t
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun May 20, 2012 12:05 am

Rich Schultz wrote:Author and television producer Steve Boman writes at Breitbart.com....

Well, that's good enough for me. I mean, if Breitbart.com, which has such a stellar reputation for fact-checking and responsible journalism, printed it, then obviously whatever it says must be true.

Speaking of credulous rubes...I should have added you to my toad list long ago. I will rectify that now.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun May 20, 2012 12:16 am

There you go buddy, take your ball and run home.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 10:27 am

Rich Schultz wrote:"Unless you’re a credulous rube

You could have just stopped right there.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun May 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Detritus wrote:That's the truth--does that matter to you?

No, the truth doesn't matter to those of conservative ilk.

Their ideology has lots its credibility. The GOP has reluctantly selected a soul-less vulture capitalist as its standard bearer. His only notable achievement as an elected official is a health-insurance policy that is the number one target of the conservative's ire.

So they have to resort to border-line-racist craziness, because they got nothin' else.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Even if you accept everything you read on Breitbart.com as factual, and you'd be a fool to do so, I'm not sure that any of this adds up to a hill of beans. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a young Barack Obama was writing a book (which he abandoned, apparently) and he thought "born in Kenya, rose to become the first African editor of the Harvard Law Review" would help him sell some books. So what? I wonder how many African Americans who have never been out of their home State went through a phase where they considered themselves Nigerians, or Zimbabweans, or wherever they believed their ancestors came from. Do you think that's unusual? I would guess not.

And the whole, "there's a lot we don't know about this guy" schtick is pretty tiresome. You know way more about Barack Obama than you do Mitt Romney. And I'm not even saying that as a criticism of Mitt Romney, it's just a fact. We just found out last week that Mitt likes to assault gay kids... who knew that? I sure didn't.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 20, 2012 9:54 pm

pjbogart wrote: Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a young Barack Obama was writing a book (which he abandoned, apparently) and he thought "born in Kenya, rose to become the first African editor of the Harvard Law Review" would help him sell some books. So what?

That is exactly the question we want President Barack Hussein Obama to answer. So what? So what was it that made you change your biography, after 17 years of claiming you were born in Kenya, to "born in Hawaii"? Did it have something to do with the eligibility clause in the U.S. constitution: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"? Because, if that is why you changed your biography - then you, Mr. Obama, are the original "Birther" - a compression, a composite, a concoction, and a liar. And for over four years now, you have hoodwinked all the pjbogarts of the world.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Or, alternately, a bunch of people confused their attribution fallacy with their occam's razor and cut themselves up in public.

To their everlasting shame.

But hey - let's birther this bullshit up the ol' flagpole and see what kind of fly-blown yokels salute.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Marvell wrote:But hey - let's birther this bullshit up the ol' flagpole and see what kind of fly-blown yokels salute.

He doesn't need your salute. You voted for him in 2008, right? That's good enough.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Maybe Obama should just pull a Johnson and announce that he will not be a candidate for the nomination.

We could then nominate George Papandreau

He has experience, he used to be PM of Greece

He is currently out of work and available

There is no question about where he was born (St Paul MN) and his qualifications for the Presidency

He would be great for all those folks who think the US ought to be more like Europe.

Proposed campaign slogan:

"Let George do for the US what he did for Greece!"

Me, I still have my fingers crossed for Ron Paul. If he does not get the nomination (which is a long shot) I expect I will support Obama for another turn.

As Lenin said "Worse is better"

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Meade wrote:
Marvell wrote:But hey - let's birther this bullshit up the ol' flagpole and see what kind of fly-blown yokels salute.

He doesn't need your salute. You voted for him in 2008, right? That's good enough.

I don't really have anything to add; I just wanted this half-wittidcism committed to posterity.

You can almost see the 'joke' trying to break free, before being dragged fatally down into the stilted incoherence...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 am

Marvell wrote:I don't really have anything to add

We know.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 am

pjbogart wrote: I wonder how many African Americans who have never been out of their home State went through a phase where they considered themselves Nigerians, or Zimbabweans, or wherever they believed their ancestors came from.

Ya, aye dare Melvin. Uffda, what's the deal here.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

Meade wrote:...President Barack Hussein Obama...
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government