MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Birther Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Birther Obama

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Now let's review your theory. Publishers just make up Author's bio's, select countries of birth at random, and hide the results from the author for decades. Even though they have updated the bio several times in between, again without checking with the author. Is that what you are trying to sell? Cause it's pretty pathetic and completely unrealistic.

Is that my theory? I'd like you to point out where I said anything of the sort.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 4:47 pm

So you got nothing? Where do you think Editors get author's biographical info if not from the obvious source, the author?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:So you got nothing? Where do you think Editors get author's biographical info if not from the obvious source, the author?

Rich, the quote that you used tended to indicate that publishers get that information from the author, yet for some reason you specifically omitted the part of the quote that offered a contrary point. Did you not recognize it as contrary? Did you think it wasn't germane to the question of Obama's bio? Did you assume no one would click the link and realize that you were being less than honest? Or is "less than honest" your method of operation?

You've got two questions now. Why did you omit the first paragraph of the quote and where did I claim that publishers make up phantom bios?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

bumped from page 10

Re: "No Person except a natural born Citizen,"
by Rich Schultz » Sat May 19, 2012 10:57 pm

"Unless you’re a credulous rube, it sure does look like Obama told his literary agency that he was born in Kenya for some reason. And the false information wasn’t corrected until April 2007, a couple of months after he launched his presidential campaign.

“But wait,” you protest. “How do you know Obama wrote that? How do you know he ever even saw it? Shut up!” Well, we all know that Obama is the exception to every rule, so maybe he’s the exception to this one too. Author and television producer Steve Boman writes at Breitbart.com about his own mid-’90s working relationship with literary agent Miriam Goderich, the woman who now claims the “born in Kenya” misinformation was somehow a “fact-checking error”:

Now let me say right up front: when it comes to Obama, I’m not going to speculate who wrote what, when. Dystel had assistants, one of whom is now her partner, Miriam Goderich, who says the whole Obama-born-in-Kenya thing was a fact-checking mistake by her. And I cannot speak specifically to the mechanism of Dystel’s publicity. (Alas, Dystel was unable to sell anything I wrote, so she had no reason to promote me, but I’m getting ahead of myself.)

I can speak of what she was like to work with and how she generated material. In my dealings with Dystel, I found her exceptionally thorough and very professional. She had a template she wanted non-fiction writers to follow, and my writing partner and I followed her template closely. She was rather fastidious, going so far as to mail a personal “Season’s Greetings” card in December.

All material she used in our proposals came directly from me and my writing partner. She edited our rough-draft proposals and gave us feedback, but the final versions were all ours. Our final versions, bio included, were then simply photo-copied, by us, and distributed to potential publishers. This was back in the pre-Google days, recall.

I was asked to write the bio in the third person.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/18/why-w ... z1vNn4C98t
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: question 2, I am guessing that must be your theory. If not, please share with us. Where do you think the editor gets biographical info on the author if not from the author?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 30, 2012 5:42 pm

So Rich, is this the real reason why you will not be voting for Obama?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Rich, you can't post the entire article as a defense. The question was, "why did you omit the first paragraph in the first place?" There must be a simple answer to this question. Perhaps you felt it wasn't germane. I don't know. I'm asking. If the reason was, "because I'm a liar and I only pay attention to facts which support my cause," then I'm not interested in a debate.

Only a fool debates a liar.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Henry,I have 5 trillion reasons not to vote for Obama.

Now try answering my question.

PJ, I posted the paragraph you are complaining was missing earlier On May 19 as I just demonstrated, then I repeated the paragraph I thought was most relevant to the ensuing discussion, now that I know you need your hand held I will try to not confuse you in the future. Now answer my question, if you are capable.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Henry,I have 5 trillion reasons not to vote for Obama.

Five trillion? Wow.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Went right over your head?

Put a dollar sign in front of the five trillion. Ring any bells?

And you didn't answer the question. Where do editors get author's biographical info if not from the author?
Last edited by Rich Schultz on Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Re: question 2, I am guessing that must be your theory. If not, please share with us. Where do you think the editor gets biographical info on the author if not from the author?

I'll humor you on this one, at risk of being a fool.

There are numerous possibilities as to the contents of this bio.
1. Barack Obama was born in Kenya
2. The publisher, through innocent mistake claimed that he was born in Kenya and he was unaware of that mistake and thus never corrected it.
3. The publisher, through innocent mistake claimed that he was born in Kenya, Obama realized it but didn't correct it because he thought it might sell more books.
4. Obama lied and said he was born in Kenya because he thought it would sell more books.
5. Obama hated America from sitting in Reverend Wright's church for so long. His claim that he was born in Kenya was a form of personal rebellion against America.
6. Obama was a delusional moron who believed all sorts of things that he had no evidence for, such as that he was born in Kenya.
7. Obama was aware of the error but didn't care because he had already abandoned the book project with that publisher.
8. Some twisted combination of any of the above reasons.

Obama would have been 30 years old in 1991. I'm thinking #1 and #6 seem implausible. He would have been active politically already, so #5 seems far-fetched... why help a country you hate? #2, #3, #4 and #7 seem reasonable and your belief in any one of them is likely colored by your politics. But I'm going with #8 because the most likely answer is "I don't know."

And neither do you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 pm

The innocent mistake by the publisher seems far fetched. How does that work? That's one hell of a typo.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:bumped from page 10

Sorry, that was my page 8. I did go back and look on page 10 but quickly abandoned my search, given that you strike me as a liar and a propagandist.

Well, pretty much anyone quoting from Breitbart is a liar and a propagandist by definition, right?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:The innocent mistake by the publisher seems far fetched. How does that work? That's one hell of a typo.

I think I mentioned that those options would be colored by your politics.

Rich, you're determined to see a conspiracy. Look around. People are laughing at you. Conservatives are laughing at you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 pm

pjbogart wrote:But I'm going with #8 because the most likely answer is "I don't know."

And neither do you.

Do you want to know? Because I'll tell you who I'm laughing at - not the Rich Schultzes - but at the people who are incurious about why the President of the United States wrote a book in which his publisher made a "fact-checking" error (that HE himself caused) about the place of his birth, he then allowed the error to stand but after two decades corrected the "fact-checking" error. Why? Some people don't care to know. They are fools. Incurious fools.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government