MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ryan vs. the Nuns

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Ryan vs. the Nuns

Postby DCB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Alleged Catholic Paul Ryan has taken some heat for pushing policies that seem to contradict Christian morality. Not being a Christian myself, I'm not one to judge on that account. But these ladies are:
NETWORK today announced a multi-state bus trip by Catholic Sisters highlighting the work Sisters do to meet the needs of people at the economic margins and revealing how federal budget cuts proposed by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) and passed by the House of Representatives will hurt struggling families in these states.

The tour is called, “Nuns on the Bus: Nuns Drive for Faith, Family and Fairness.”

(I could have posted this story here, or here, but those threads are old!)
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ryan vs. the Nuns

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 am

Seems pretty simple, Ryan's budget is probably more closely in line with the practices of the Catholic church, while the nuns are speaking about the actual teachings of Christ.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Seems pretty simple, Ryan's budget is probably more closely in line with the practices of the Catholic church, while the nuns are speaking about the actual teachings of Christ.

I'm not sure that is fair to say, the Catholic church practices charity.

I agree that the argument that private charity can substitute for government action is flawed when one looks at the realities.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:38 pm

I can't believe that I am actually pro-nun on this issue! Eight years of catholic school hasn't totally jaded me.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am

Madsci wrote:I can't believe that I am actually pro-nun on this issue! Eight years of catholic school hasn't totally jaded me.

Or eight years of catholic school has taught you not to piss a nun off.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Seems pretty simple, Ryan's budget is probably more closely in line with the practices of the Catholic church, while the nuns are speaking about the actual teachings of Christ.

Care to expound upon your admittedly simplistic thinking?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am

Catholic News Service: "When the Archdiocese of Portland, Ore., filed for bankruptcy in early July, some people wondered why the Vatican didn't bail it out.

The head of a sex abuse victims group in Portland said the Vatican needs to "sell a few paintings if they think they can't afford to pay for this." The archdiocese had been hit hard by sex abuse settlements totaling more than $50 million.

But the Vatican is highly unlikely to start selling its paintings or statues in order to rescue a diocese from financial ruin. The Vatican does not see its role as that of overseeing diocesan budgets or financial crises.

And besides, the Vatican doesn't think it's rich.
The Vatican's net worth is difficult to gauge, but has been estimated at close to $1 billion." (Link, ca. 2004)

Jesus: "No slave can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth." (Luke 16:13)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government