MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bullying as a national sport

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Bullying as a national sport

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I simply described facts about what was true at my school. I'm not sure what you think is debatable about it. Unless you're trying to tell me that what I said about my school isn't actually true.
But I think I'm in a much better position to know.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Catholic high schools might have been different -- ours was a public school with 400 students. I don't think we were known as a bad school, in comparison with others.

It's the "lord of the flies" thing, basically.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I simply described facts about what was true at my school. I'm not sure what you think is debatable about it. Unless you're trying to tell me that what I said about my school isn't actually true.

I think if you go back and look at what I wrote, you will see that I said no such thing. I said that your experience wasn't universally true, and I suggested the way you recollected it was colored by the authoritarian nature of your personal ideology.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Detritus wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I simply described facts about what was true at my school. I'm not sure what you think is debatable about it. Unless you're trying to tell me that what I said about my school isn't actually true.

I think if you go back and look at what I wrote, you will see that I said no such thing. I said that your experience wasn't universally true, and I suggested the way you recollected it was colored by the authoritarian nature of your personal ideology.

I didn't claim my experience was universally true, and it is quite likely that you have a very colored-- no, opaque-- view of my personal ideology. I can categorically state that you have a very poor understanding of it, if you believe it to be authoritarian in nature.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm

D-man, if you went to a school where all the students just respectfully obeyed the teachers, then you went to a school that simply never existed.

One of the books that we got when I went through teacher training (I've since thrown the book out) documented some pretty scary incidents from the "one room schoolhouse" era. I hadn't realized that any man who signed up to teach at those schools, generally had to be able to kick the asses of the biggest boys in the school, or else he wouldn't be able to keep the job.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I read it too. Hoosier School Master.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I didn't claim my experience was universally true, and it is quite likely that you have a very colored-- no, opaque-- view of my personal ideology. I can categorically state that you have a very poor understanding of it, if you believe it to be authoritarian in nature.

Feel free to believe that, if you like.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Galoot wrote:D-man, if you went to a school where all the students just respectfully obeyed the teachers, then you went to a school that simply never existed.

I do remember the combination to my high school locker 4 decades later, but I don't recall describing my school as one where "students just respectfully obeyed the teachers." We were talking about bullying of teachers. The teachers weren't always obeyed, they weren't always respected. But they were not bullied, nor would they have tolerated being bullied by students.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Detritus wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I didn't claim my experience was universally true, and it is quite likely that you have a very colored-- no, opaque-- view of my personal ideology. I can categorically state that you have a very poor understanding of it, if you believe it to be authoritarian in nature.

Feel free to believe that, if you like.

Oh I am very free to believe it. It's hilarious that you think you know my "personal ideology" better than I do. But feel free to believe that you do, if you like! :D
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I find it curious that someone who makes use of force a cornerstone of his public persona now tells us he remembers no use at all of physical or psychological "forcing," or the threat thereof, by students against teachers in his high school.

He saw, in other words, no rebellion or attack against authority figures. The reason he gives is the attacked teacher would have handed their (the student's) ass back to them, meaning he (she) would have overcome the student by use of some kind of force. This implies the students were controlled by threat of force, or maybe that he perceived the students as being controlled in that way.

If this is true (and it's nothing but speculation, so show me where I went wrong) it's parallel with a world view that today focuses on force and threat of force to control one's own environment and, at times, the environment of others. Only the shoe is on the other foot, and the one-time student is now in the shoes of those perceived-omnipotent teachers.

Maybe that place had a really, really good principal. I don't know, I wasn't there.

My comments here aren't meant to be insulting, but it's not a universal world view, as discussions on this forum have made clear.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:I find it curious that someone who makes use of force a cornerstone of his public persona now tells us he remembers no use at all of physical or psychological "forcing," or the threat thereof, by students against teachers in his high school.

He saw, in other words, no rebellion or attack against authority figures. The reason he gives is the attacked teacher would have handed their (the student's) ass back to them, meaning he (she) would have overcome the student by use of some kind of force. This implies the students were controlled by threat of force, or maybe that he perceived the students as being controlled in that way.

If this is true (and it's nothing but speculation, so show me where I went wrong) it's parallel with a world view that today focuses on force and threat of force to control one's own environment and, at times, the environment of others. Only the shoe is on the other foot, and the one-time student is now in the shoes of those perceived-omnipotent teachers.

Maybe that place had a really, really good principal. I don't know, I wasn't there.

My comments here aren't meant to be insulting, but it's not a universal world view, as discussions on this forum have made clear.

I find it curious that you share the propensity-- and apparently the need as many here do-- to stretch the meaning of simple words into unrecognizable distortions. How do you get "no rebellion or attack against authority figures" out of "no bullying?" Do you equate rebellion with bullying? If so... Congratulations, you just admitted that the crowds who gathered at the Capitol to protest Walker were bullies.

I saw plenty of rebellion in school. Took part in it. Lead it at times. I think if you look up "bully" and "rebel" in the dictionary you'll see that the definitions are distinctly different, although you're attempting to use the words interchangeably here.

Also, what a curiously simplistic notion of human behavior and psychology you hold if you believe that "the students were controlled by threat of force" is the only possible explanation for their behavior. While it is true that the teachers in my school would have handed a student's ass back to him if one attempted to bully them, isn't it possible that students didn't bully teachers for other reasons besides fear of getting one's ass handed back? Holy shit! Maybe some students respected or even liked the teachers! I guess that sort of motivation never occurred to you, although out of everyone here I would have expected you to have recognized that there are other motivations and explanations for actions beyond fear.

And if you think the "cornerstone" of my public persona is "use of force" then I'll add you to the list of people who are clueless.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 pm

The man who wants to be bully-in-chief:
For the second time in as many weeks, Mitt Romney's campaign taunted President Barack Obama outside a speech.

Romney's campaign bus circled Obama's fundraiser at Boston Symphony Hall Monday night several times, according to Romney deputy press secretary Ryan Williams and verified by several onlookers who said it was honking its horn as it passed.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/rom ... bama-again

Stay klassy, Mitt!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

What is Mitt short for anyway? Mittens?...

OMG, I just googled Mitt and got that his full name is
Willard Mitt Romney!

Willard Milton Romney (named after a relative)
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am

Here's a different viewpoint of classroom bullying, this one by a former teacher who sounds realistic:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/be ... 10965.html
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government