MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fast and Furious: A Primer

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:45 pm

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ow/258783/

Yes, the investigation is politically motivated.

Just as Watergate was politically motivated.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Meade wrote:Just as Watergate was politically motivated.

You mean a Republican administration's illegal breaking and entering to facilitate the illegal wire-tapping of DNC headquarters? Yep, pretty damned politically motivated, no two ways about it.

Not sure what the hell that has to do with any of this though. But I guess you if you're playing monkey to some GOP organ grinder, juggling apples and oranges is a nice break from picking your rectum and flinging fecal nuggets. Your deft facility at either exercise is duly noted.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm

I wonder why he didn't use the Clinton impeachment as an example? That one wasn't politically motivated, was it?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5995
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 pm

But I guess you if you're playing monkey to some GOP organ grinder, juggling apples and oranges is a nice break from picking your rectum and flinging fecal nuggets.


Apt. Best of material?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Meade wrote:Yes, the investigation is politically motivated.

Just as Watergate was politically motivated.


The "cover-up" by the Dems involves a procedural move to stall the new investigations until after the election. Since it's all about politics, who can blame them?

Fast and Furious per se was already investigated. What Issa is fishing for is email communications that occured a year after the operation was investigated and shutdown. No doubt there are embarassing remarks contained therein, as the Justice Dept officials plot against their enemies in the REpublican Congress. Do you think there would not be embarassing remarks if we went through the private communications of Issa's committee?

Meade, what specifically do you expect is going to be uncovered?

The conservatives in another forum I post in are convinced that the Fast and Furious operation was a deliberate effort to incite gun violence in order to gin-up public support for gun control. Now, to me, this sounds positively loopy, paranoid. What think you, Meade? The conservatives I'm refering to are rather garden-variety, so I assume FOX news has broadcast this theory.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6171
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm

rabble wrote:I wonder why he didn't use the Clinton impeachment as an example? That one wasn't politically motivated, was it?

The Starr investigation would be another example. Politically motivated? Sure. Was President Clinton a serial sexual harasser who was guilty of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice? Obviously he was.

Huckleby wrote:The "cover-up" by the Dems involves a procedural move to stall the new investigations until after the election. Since it's all about politics, who can blame them?

Anyone who bought President Obama's vow to create an administration of extraordinary "transparency".

Huckleby wrote:No doubt there are embarassing remarks contained therein, as the Justice Dept officials plot against their enemies in the REpublican Congress. Do you think there would not be embarassing remarks if we went through the private communications of Issa's committee?
Perhaps. Is Issa trying to keep something covered up? Holder apparently is.

Huckleby wrote:Meade, what specifically do you expect is going to be uncovered?
Truth.

Huckleby wrote:The conservatives in another forum I post in are convinced that the Fast and Furious operation was a deliberate effort to incite gun violence in order to gin-up public support for gun control. Now, to me, this sounds positively loopy, paranoid.
I haven't seen evidence of that. Until Holder releases the documents, people will naturally speculate about what may be in them.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Meade wrote:
rabble wrote:I wonder why he didn't use the Clinton impeachment as an example? That one wasn't politically motivated, was it?

The Starr investigation would be another example. Politically motivated? Sure. Was President Clinton a serial sexual harasser who was guilty of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice? Obviously he was.

You left out the part about how it all started with the Whitewater real estate investigation that targeted both Bill and Hillary. When that failed to produce indictments of the Clintons, it morphed into a witch hunt about Bill's randy sex life. When no indictments over sexual harassment resulted, Starr put Clinton under oath concerning his private, consensual (however illicit) sexual affair with another adult. He then lied about that.

Impeachment came next. Clinton was acquitted.

Calling that a political witch hunt would be an understatement.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19570
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm

I don't think that there was a conspiracy to incite gun violence in Mexico. I mean, that would be like conspiring to incite boredom at a Kenny G. concert, i.e., unnecessary.

I suspect they're hiding evidence of "who know what, and when did they know it" along with at what level of government the operation's approval originated. Holder's already had to retract earlier statements about that, along with a number of other statements. Basically, they're covering up the coverup.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2290
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I suspect they're hiding evidence of "who know what, and when did they know it" along with at what level of government the operation's approval originated. Holder's already had to retract earlier statements about that, along with a number of other statements.
What *specifically* are the false statements that Holder had to retract? A number of them, you say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwal ... s050311-55
I've been trying to learn about this "scandal." So far, it looks like all right-wing inuendo.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6171
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Meade wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The "cover-up" by the Dems involves a procedural move to stall the new investigations until after the election. Since it's all about politics, who can blame them?
Anyone who bought President Obama's vow to create an administration of extraordinary "transparency".
OK, I don't expect transparency to extend to all communications, certainly not during an election season fishing expedition, where the goal is to paint a perception more than fairly weigh facts. They can have their email trove in good time. Patience, friends.

You watch: once the election passes, the Republicans will lose interest.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6171
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Meade wrote:The Starr investigation would be another example. Politically motivated? Sure. Was President Clinton a serial sexual harasser who was guilty of perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of justice? Obviously he was.


Wasn't this last $16,000,000 taxpayer cost "recall (re) elections" politically motivated? :lol: :D I guess this is where the leftist clowns re-change their logic in their strawman arguments.

Dontcha just luv it?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: Various places

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 am

Dangerousman wrote:I don't think that there was a conspiracy to incite gun violence in Mexico.

Besides, if they wanted to conspire to incite gun violence somewhere in order to push their anti-second amendment gun-control agenda, wouldn't they do it somewhere more convenient than Mexico? Somewhere gun violence is truly off the charts? Somewhere more like Chicago?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:25 am

Meade wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The "cover-up" by the Dems involves a procedural move to stall the new investigations until after the election. Since it's all about politics, who can blame them?

Anyone who bought President Obama's vow to create an administration of extraordinary "transparency".


Since you clearly never bought into this, how can you blame them, Larry?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am

Did I say I blame them?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Fast and Furious: A Primer

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 am

Meade wrote: in order to push their anti-second amendment gun-control agenda


Wash, rinse, repeat. I guess when you say this is their agenda enough times, people believe it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar