MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Health Care Reform

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Health Care Reform

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Romney may very well win in a landslide.

A landslide I tell ya.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:10 pm

The decreased reliance on ER care alone is going to have a huge impact on overall cost; I'd say I was surprised there hasn't been more attention given to that fact, but it's the kind of non-easily-headlined thought that easily gets pushed aside.

We're going to see a lot of unexpected consequences with this law (as with any law, but this is an extensive piece of legislation). I think so many of them will be beneficial people will start turning in favor just on the basis of personal benefits. The ER thing is a huge change and will likely change hospital and clinic staffing patterns or even result in more freestanding clinics to serve people who formerly went to emergency.

In my discussions with people today, I've learned there should be significant, major benefits to people with disabilities who will no longer be unable to earn more than a tiny amount before losing medical support. Also people in agriculture, who often couldn't afford insurance, are feeling real relief.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:08 pm

The awesomeness continues:

In a closed door House GOP meeting Thursday, Indiana congressman and gubernatorial candidate Mike Pence likened the Supreme Court's ruling upholding the Democratic health care law to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to several sources present.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congre ... 6w.twitter

Really? Really? He apparently apologized immediately after, but it was said. This comparison renders me speechless.

And then this:

I'm moving to Canada. Obviously the United States doesn't know what they are doing anymore. This used to be a great country... Pretty sad.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/people-m ... -obamacare

But, they have universal hea... Ugh. Nevermind. Funny cause that whole moving to Canada thing is out of the Dems playbook. Aaarrgg, how dare they.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm

The leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. is unpaid catastrophic medical bills. Hopefully that will not be the case in the future.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Romney may very well win in a landslide.

As someone who tends to purvey standard Republican orthodoxy, what makes you say this?

Further, let's say the Supreme Court had gone 180 degrees from where they did today, and struck down every piece of the bill. What would your reaction have been, in terms of the November election?

I'm honestly curious on these two points.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:45 pm

After reading more, I'm convinced that Medicaid will go forward and penetrate the republican Iron Curtain. The incentives are too huge for even the cracker states to resist. Millions of low income people are going to get health care access, and we will join the civilized world.

I also think the public view towards Obama & Obamacare is going to improve with increased discussion, plus the imprimatur of constitutionality.

I am so happy & excited I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. I will lie awake and yes, I will touch myself.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

As defective as the Affordable Care Act of 2010 is, I prefer to emphasize the positives. Hooray! Thirty million+ Americans will soon receive SOME kind of medical coverage they hadn't before, "children" age 26 and under will be allowed to remain on their parents' plans and the Big Insurance cartels are now prohibited from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions. Heh heh, you didn't hear me, as some pundits on the Left did, insist that the Supremes were CERTAIN to rule against Obama's signature piece of legislation. Much as I would have approved of Single Payer For All or at least a public option, it sure is better to have some kind of a health-care system, (beyond just traditional Medicare, Medicaid and the Vets Administration) rather than ONLY having an inadequate, exhorbitant health-care patchwork.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/us/su ... ml?_r=1&hp
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:After reading more, I'm convinced that Medicaid will go forward and penetrate the republican Iron Curtain. The incentives are too huge for even the cracker states to resist. Millions of low income people are going to get health care access, and we will join the civilized world.

I also think the public view towards Obama & Obamacare is going to improve with increased discussion, plus the imprimatur of constitutionality.

I am so happy & excited I am not going to be able to sleep tonight. I will lie awake and yes, I will touch myself.

Wow, that is an even more happy reaction than I thought you were going to have, lol. Or, "even more happy reaction than even I thought you were going to have." Hah.

Yeah I don't like the law though.

The one thing I most strongly disagree with other conservatives on is the idea that we have the best health care system in the world. I think its total shit.

An individual (patient), in this health care system, is just the glove on the hand of the medical insurance industry/Medicare/Medicaid. An individual (doctor), in this health care system is just the glove on the hand of the health care industry. And that is one handshake I want no part in making.

Everybody I talk to, liberal or conservative, seems to love their doctor. In my estimation, I've never met a "doctor", not since private practice went the way of the dodo. And what doctor who graduates today will ever be able to say they've ever met a "patient"? Neither individual has a vested interest in the exchange, we're all just proxies for proxies.

However, I'm glad to see that by page four people have quickly arrived at the important subtleties of this ruling. By making it a tax, the commerce clause has been significantly limited.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Everybody I talk to, liberal or conservative, seems to love their doctor. In my estimation, I've never met a "doctor", not since private practice went the way of the dodo. And what doctor who graduates today will ever be able to say they've ever met a "patient"? Neither individual has a vested interest in the exchange, we're all just proxies for proxies.

When I was a kid, the two most respected men in town were your priest and your doctor. Times have certainly changed.

My grandfather was pulled out of UW Med School in 1942 or so to be a medic in WWII. He ended up on a hospital ship in the Indian Ocean, meaning to say he never saw a bullet. He survived the war, finished school and became a small town doctor, mostly delivering babies and tending to broken limbs. When I got a bit older (and he got a bit senile) he told me funny stories like the surprising number of Star Wars action figures he pulled out of women's hoohas in the 1980's. He said the hardest thing he ever extracted from a hooha was a hard boiled egg because it was breaking apart and flakes were all over, etc. It wasn't all fun and games, as small towns are usually farming communities and can produce some nasty injuries, but he seemed to like his job and he did well for himself, but I wouldn't have considered him wealthy. He was qualified as a surgeon but he refused to do it for the most part... I think memories of the war lingered with him until he died.

I guess that doesn't have much to do with the ACA, except maybe that doctors don't need to ride the space shuttle to work. Maybe Medical School should be free so doctors don't come out with so much debt. Maybe making it free would encourage more people to apply, assuming they've got what it takes.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:This didn't take long:
Walker: state won't implement health care law despite ruling

Walker also threw in this excuse for Wisconsin's poor job growth:
He said the decision creates uncertainty for Wisconsin businesses and that's bad for job growth.

WPR just played the clip of Walker from a few weeks back, claiming that his re-election now gave the business community the certainty it needs to start creating jobs.

Almost as amusing as his claims Milwaukee's employment problems are Tom Barret's, while Wisconsin's employment problems are Obama's. Even though the vast majority of other states under Obama's charge are doing far, far better than Wisconsin is. Of course Walker, the guy with both problems in common, has nothing to do with either.

With all the mamby-pambvy "uncertainty" concerns in the business community, its a wonder we ever developed any economy at all.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08 am

In all fairness to Walker, our billionaires are paying too much in taxes. Maybe if we lowered their taxes a bit they'd create some jobs.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Walker's intransigence on the law of the land made the New York Times.

States Face a Challenge to Meet Health Law’s Deadline
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:49 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Image

I'd like to see a follow-up question that asks these respondents "Do you actually understand what this healthcare reform bill is about?" with a further follow-up question of "Really? Are you sure?"
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:51 pm

wack wack wrote:Walker also threw in this excuse for Wisconsin's poor job growth:
He said the decision creates uncertainty for Wisconsin businesses and that's bad for job growth.

Wait...uncertainty? That doesn't seem to be the prevailing opinion within the industry (from Hank's link):
But there also was some relief that the decision eases some of the tremendous uncertainty over the future of the law and allows insurers and employers to move forward. “What this did do was provide another chapter of clarity,” said David Cordani, the chief executive of Cigna, another major insurer.

and from the Wall Street Journal:
The Supreme Court's health-care ruling will hurt bottom lines at some companies in the sector, analysts say. But many note that a clearer picture of the industry's future is a benefit to all.

"At the most basic level, it is constructive for the health-care industry to finally have the overhang and uncertainty of the [court] ruling removed from the near-term investment calculus," wrote Scott Fidel, an analyst with Deutsche Bank, in a note to clients Friday.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government