MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, March 2, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Health Care Reform

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Health Care Reform

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:39 pm

I double-secret reiterate:

The U.S. Supreme Court found the law constitutional on Thursday, but Walker, a Republican, has vowed not to implement it until after the November elections.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:48 pm

By waiting at least until then (what happens if the election goes to the GOP, but they don't delay or cancel the law?) will Walker meet the statutory deadlines for implementation?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm

We'll see. If you're really concerned about it I suggest you contact your legislative representatives.

Report back here what they tell you.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:By waiting at least until then (what happens if the election goes to the GOP, but they don't delay or cancel the law?) will Walker meet the statutory deadlines for implementation?

Seeing as how the law requires a plan for the exchange to be submitted in January 2013, I'd go with no.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:By waiting at least until then (what happens if the election goes to the GOP, but they don't delay or cancel the law?) will Walker meet the statutory deadlines for implementation?

Seeing as how the law requires a plan for the exchange to be submitted in January 2013, I'd go with no.

If it takes less than two months to come up with a viable plan.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 pm

http://healthreform.kff.org/State-Exchange-Profiles/wisconsin

The Governor began moving away from a state-based exchange in December 2011, when he announced the state would put exchange planning on hold until a Supreme Court decision on the constitutionality of the individual mandate.11 Unless Wisconsin reverses its decision to suspend all state-based exchange implementation activity, the federal government will assume responsibility for running an exchange in the state.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Jindal in Louisiana has also announced he's not implementing anything in the belief it'll all be magically wiped away after the next presidential election.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I really can't blame Walker & Jindl and other anti-Obamacare governors for waiting until after the election to take action.

The Republicans have an excellent shot at capturing the Senate majority. And they can easily gut Obamacare through reconciliation with simple majority IF Romney wins.

I put the odds of Obamacare surviving this fall at 53.17%. Hell, if I were a right wing governor, I'd wait this one out too. There will be waivers and forgiveness from the Obama Administration for anybody who wants to hop on the Obamacare bandwagon at ANY future point. Oh, and nothing wrong with just accepting the Federal Exchange if necessary for starters. That can be replaced in good time.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/pharma-giant-gsk- ... ories.html

if Corporations are people then we need to send some of these people to jail.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 am

I'm in mood for a premature endzone dance on Obamacare. It's only at the 10 yard line, but I think they'll punch it in this fall.

Think of it: 20 years from now, when Obamacare is a deeply relied-on and appreciated foundation of life in America, we will still be calling it "Obamacare." Same with 40 years from now. The Republican slur has inadvertantly turned Obama into Abraham Lincoln, well, slight exaggertion, but his historical contribution will be IN THEIR FACES FOREVER. Ya baby, wiggle-wiggle, spike.

Obamacare is going to work WAY BETTER than you single-payer-or-die crowd imagine. The health insurers have been evil, true enough, but that is because their profitability has been based on evilness. Reforming them through regulation is so much easier than you imagine, they will be just as happy making a profit in a more ethical market.

And one more truism that you will just have to discover for yourself over time: the cost problem with our health care system is not primarily excessive profiteering by the health insurance companies. It's mostly the inefficencies and profiteering of the health care delivery system, i.e. everything else. Therefore, the job of fixing the health care system is largely the same whether we have single payer or Obamacare.
Last edited by Huckleby on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am

Huckleby wrote:Think of it: 20 years from now, when Obamacare is a deeply relied-on and appreciated foundation of life in America, we will still be calling it "Obamacare." Same with 40 years from now. The Republican slur has inadvertantly turned Obama into Abraham Lincoln, well, slight exaggertion, but his historical contribution will be IN THEIR FACES FOREVER. Ya baby, wiggle-wiggle, spike.

I hadn't thought of it but yeah you're right. It's only a slur till it's part and parcel of the culture. And there will still be people around who remember which side coined the word.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 am

It's a penalty; no it's a tax.

The Republican confusion over what to call a fine in President Barack Obama's health care law gained little clarity Tuesday, as the party's chairman adamantly called the fee a "tax" the day after a senior Mitt Romney adviser insisted it was a "penalty."

This internal debate among the GOP should be very interesting.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 am

Henry Vilas wrote:It's a penalty; no it's a tax.

The Republican confusion over what to call a fine in President Barack Obama's health care law gained little clarity Tuesday, as the party's chairman adamantly called the fee a "tax" the day after a senior Mitt Romney adviser insisted it was a "penalty."

This internal debate among the GOP should be very interesting.

One would think this would be a no brainer. Call it a tax, point out that Obama has now raised taxes on those least able to afford it (if you can't afford health care, how can you afford higher taxes?). Toss in Obama wanting to tax anyone who doesn't fall in line with his demands, and it would appear to be tailor made for attack ads.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am

Found this article interesting. I didn't know much about this provision.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... halleluja/

That would be the provision of the law, called the medical loss ratio, that requires health insurance companies to spend 80% of the consumers’ premium dollars they collect—85% for large group insurers—on actual medical care rather than overhead, marketing expenses and profit. Failure on the part of insurers to meet this requirement will result in the insurers having to send their customers a rebate check representing the amount in which they underspend on actual medical care.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:One would think this would be a no brainer. Call it a tax, point out that Obama has now raised taxes on those least able to afford it (if you can't afford health care, how can you afford higher taxes?). Toss in Obama wanting to tax anyone who doesn't fall in line with his demands, and it would appear to be tailor made for attack ads.

From the same article I cited:
Romney's position on Obama's health care law is complicated by the measure he passed as governor of Massachusetts, which included a mandate similar to Obama's on a state level.

While Republicans have been vocal about pointing to the penalty being termed a tax, his campaign has been careful to avoid being drawn into a comparison on the point.

The presidential debates should be very interesting.

And talking about taxes, when will Romney released his federal tax returns?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government