MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Conservatives happier than liberals?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Conservatives happier than liberals?

Postby sallybell » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:By the way, if an east-side Madison summer street fair (like this weekend's Fete de Marquette) is the ultimate liberal good time (world music, ethnic cuisine, freak flags flyin' everywhere), what's the conservative equivalent? Seriously and without prejudice, what would, say, a Waukesha conservative put up as the ultimate community good time on a Saturday night?

I grew up in Waukesha County (I left when I was 17, although still lived there during summers until I finished college). Summer-Saturday-night-wise--I was a 4-H kid, so spent *lots* of time at the county fair, and a decent amount of time at other local little fairs. Subtract most of the ethnic food, take away the hula-hoops, add a lot more country music and classic rock, and really, it's not too different. Pretty comparable to, say, the Dane County Fair, or the Stoughton Fair. Deep fried foods, carnival rides and games, and music make for a good Saturday night regardless of your politics. Speaking of the Fete, I got my parents to come to Madison for it a year or two ago--even my conservative dad really enjoyed it (he did live in Madison in the late 60s/early 70s, though, so may be a little more accepting of the Madison vibe than your average Waukesha County conservative).

I have no idea what Waukesha County folks do in the winter for fun, though, other than go skiing at Olympia--which is quite possibly the worst ski hill around.

As a side note, bands/musicians I saw as a kid at the Waukesha County Fair include the Violent Femmes, the BoDeans, Weird Al Yankovic, Ted Nugent (I had a backstage pass to that one! Didn't meet the guy, though), REO Speedwagon, and Richard Marx.
sallybell

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 pm

david cohen wrote:So why does Althaus always LOOK unhappy?

Maybe she doesn't know whom to fight [sic]. :roll:
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 am

bdog wrote:Via Althouse

People at the extremes are happier than political moderates. Correcting for income, education, age, race, family situation and religion, the happiest Americans are those who say they are either “extremely conservative” (48 percent very happy) or “extremely liberal” (35 percent). Everyone else is less happy, with the nadir at dead-center “moderate” (26 percent).

What explains this odd pattern? One possibility is that extremists have the whole world figured out, and sorted into good guys and bad guys. They have the security of knowing what’s wrong, and whom to fight. They are the happy warriors.

A nuanced point you make, bite any further I shall not.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government