MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Romney Praises Government Health Care

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Romney praises health care in Israel, where ‘strong government influence’ has driven down costs


Here's a dirty little secret: I think Romney is a practical, good man (well, except for the tendency to lie in campaigns) and would be happy to have him as president. Unfortunately, this is the wrong time for a moderate Republican because the Republican party as a whole wants to undo the New Deal and roll granny off the cliff.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:01 pm

I think it's possible you're right about him wanting to do the right thing but damn, Huck. Are you seriously saying the teabaggers would let him get away with that?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6158
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm

His praise did not go unrewarded.

Romney raises more than $1 million in Jerusalem
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19885
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm

rabble wrote:I think it's possible you're right about him wanting to do the right thing but damn, Huck. Are you seriously saying the teabaggers would let him get away with that?


Romney could be OK with a Democratic congress.

If Romney is paired with Republican majority in the Senate, we are in deep doodoo. It's gonna be worse than Bush years.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Which Bush years? I noticed that when Romney dares to mention the Bush name, he's very careful to specify that he's talking about George Herbert Walker Bush.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:25 pm

Re: Romney Praises Government Health Care

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Mitt on HebrewCare:

"Do you realize what health care spending is as a percentage of the GDP in Israel? Eight percent. You spend eight percent of GDP on health care. You’re a pretty healthy nation. We spend 18 percent of our GDP on health care, 10 percentage points more…. We have to find ways — not just to provide health care to more people, but to find ways to fund and manage our health care costs.”


ANDREW ROSENTHAL comments:

I really would like to know if Mr. Romney— who as governor of Massachusetts passed a healthcare bill including an individual mandate before suggesting the president adopt the idea for the country before promising to “get rid of Obamacare”—bothered to research Israel’s system. Because every Israeli citizen has the obligation to purchase health care services through one of the country’s four HMOs since government officials approved the National Health Insurance Law in 1995. Moreover, Israelis pay 40 percent of their HMO’s costs through income-related contributed collected through the tax system, and the state pays the remaining 60 percent.

If Mr. Romney’s serious about finding ways “not just to provide health care to more people, but to find ways to fund and manage our health care costs,” he could start by endorsing the Affordable Care Act—a more market-oriented version of the Israeli system, which (as even Mr. Romney admits) works quite well.

.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6577
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar