MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Meet Paul Ryan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Meet Paul Ryan

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Huckleby wrote: Everybody knows that the Democrats will run half-true, exaggerated attacks to persuade stupid voters

I agree with a great deal of your post, but could you expand on this one a bit?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Romney and Ryan is an anagram for Romney Ayn Rand. That can't be an accident.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:02 pm

rabble wrote:
Huckleby wrote: Everybody knows that the Democrats will run half-true, exaggerated attacks to persuade stupid voters

I agree with a great deal of your post, but could you expand on this one a bit?

Oh, for instance, Paul Ryan has a 2.0 version of his budget proposal, done in conjunction with Dem Ron Wyden, that would allow people to opt-out of the new, proposed medicare structure. I don't think the Dems will find it necessary to emphasize this particular point in ads where they accuse the Republicans of "ending medicare."

In one sense, details don't necessarily mean that much. The Ryan budget proposals show the clear intentions of the tea party republicans: they want to privatize social security and medicare, cut medicaid to shreds. Any moderating compromises they introduce just indicates they don't yet have the political power to reach for the full loaf.

As far as "exaggerated, half true" campaign ads, that has been the currency of the realm for both campaigns so far, and it will get worse.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm wondering if there is any chance that Romney strategically releases his tax returns at a key point in the election season, and they aren't that bad, making him look good and the Returners like idiots. I would find that entertaining to observe.

It'd be fine with me. I was wondering if he'd do it that way too.

The returns would verify what everybody already knows, that Romney has an annual income in the millions of dollars (or whatever it is -- he's in a tiny top fraction of the top 1% -- I just read somewhere he was in the top 400 nationally FWIW).

That's enough, in a way. Whether or not he used very aggressive tax sheltering methods is extra points, but when people wonder if the man has the slightest idea what life is like for an everyday American, the answer will have been definitively answered with data, not speculation, to back it up. Obama, whatever else you think of him, usually polls pretty well on questions like "does he understand the common person?" or however they word it. And that's important in an election -- we aren't electing Queen Elizabeth, right?

Of course, most of us don't spend a million dollars a year training a horse, but at least we can see if Romney found a way to write it all off. That's kind of a slap in the face from a man claiming he ought to be the chief executive of the whole country, isn't it?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:The Ryan budget proposals show the clear intentions of the tea party republicans: they want to privatize social security and medicare, cut medicaid to shreds.

Yet during the original Tea Party rallies/protest, many were carrying signs saying Don't Touch My Medicare. Funny how big money interests have taken over the Tea Party movement.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Republicans have surrendered Florida.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I found this interesting:

Paul Ryan Only Passed 2 Bills Into Law In More Than A Decade

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/1 ... 69816.html

So all he's really done is come up with legislation so controversial that no one will support it. The darling of the conservatives indeed. Bravo Mittens, bravo.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I found this interesting:

Paul Ryan Only Passed 2 Bills Into Law In More Than A Decade

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/1 ... 69816.html

So all he's really done is come up with legislation so controversial that no one will support it. The darling of the conservatives indeed. Bravo Mittens, bravo.

That's really remarkable. I wonder if Bernie Sanders, even, (being an independent) has passed more bills into law. (Not to diminish Bernie's rep by comparison, mind you.)

BTW, what are Bravo Mittens? I imagine they're an aid for displaying wan, unenthusiastic support – like clapping with a pillow between the hands – but I couldn't find reference to it.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 pm

I assume Mittens is a play on Willard's middle name.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Sanders wasn't selected for the VP. Ryan has been hailed as the golden boy of the GOP yet he hasn't done shit. Mittens? You haven't hears that yet? And yes pillow clapping it is.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Sanders wasn't selected for the VP. Ryan has been hailed as the golden boy of the GOP yet he hasn't done shit. Mittens? You haven't hears that yet? And yes pillow clapping it is.
Ok, got it. It was "Bravo, Mittens." I tend to read literally and don't read with my thumbs.

Anyway, I get the feeling this guy has never done a minute's worth of honest work, especially if there were no mirror in hand.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm sure that reporters have a long list of questions to ask Mr. Ryan, but I'm hoping they prioritize these questions:

"In 2003 you voted for Medicare Prescription Part D, a program that critics charge has been very costly, prevents the government from negotiating the price of prescription drugs and has contributed a great deal to the deficit. You complain about the long-term solvency of programs like Social Security and Medicare, yet you cast your vote in favor of a program that risked that solvency. Do you regret that vote and would you support legislation allowing the federal government to negotiate for lower prices on prescription drugs?"

"In 2008 you voted for TARP and the bailout of GM and Chrysler, a position that is directly at odds with Mitt Romney who felt that the auto manufacturers should have been forced through bankruptcy. Despite your strong conservative reputation, both of these votes are unpopular with most Republicans. Do you regret those votes or would you like to explain your reasoning for supporting TARP and the auto industry bailout loans?"

"Is it true that you played Eddie Munster on the hit TV show 'The Munsters' when you were a child?"

"Did you sign a pledge to Grover Norquist not to increase any taxes unless offset by other tax cuts? Do you owe more loyalty to your constituents, the American people or Grover Norquist?"
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Young Paul at First Communion.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 am

fennel wrote:Anyway, I get the feeling this guy has never done a minute's worth of honest work, especially if there were no mirror in hand.

Just a second here. He drove the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile for a summer.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government