MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

So long, Joe

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

So long, Joe

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Anyone interested in starting a pool on when Joe Biden becomes a VP non-candidate?

I say August 24, about 7PM.

Reason: needs more time with his family, health issues, needs a new hair transplant.

Any speculation on who will replace him on the ticket?

I'll miss him. He would be hilarious debating Paul Ryan.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So long, Joe

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:03 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Anyone interested in starting a pool on when Joe Biden becomes a VP non-candidate?

Reason: needs more time with his family, health issues

Would those reasons be any worse than Sarah Palin's excuse for abandoning her constituency?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm

The speculation that I have read is that Hillary takes VP and Biden takes State.

However, I don't really see why Biden would leave--his gaffes are funny not mean spirited as opposed to little paulie. Also, when it comes to blue-collar reality, Ryan doesn't hold Biden's lunch pail. I think that the contrast between Biden and Ryan will further convince indies that Romney isn't ready for the show.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Biden belongs in a nice rocking chair on a big green lawn with a sippy cup of warm milky.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 pm

The GOP is getting desperate. They try to portrait Biden's "chains" remark as racist. Do you think that will get the black American vote for Romney/Ryan? Were conservatives as offended when Santorum used the same analogy during his run for president?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:25 pm

I also look forward to a debate between Ryan and Biden. I realize that Ryan is getting a lot of Scrooge McDuck love for his "take money from the poors" policies, but he's pretty wimpy at give and take. Biden can be counted on to go after Ryan and Ryan can be counted on to get flustered and this sounds like TV gold to me.

That all being said, what's more harmful:

* VP Biden, who is well-known as a foot-in-mouther?

* VP Ryan, who has a plan known to A) raise taxes on the middle class, B) lowers the taxes that Romney theoretically pays and reminds everyone of his already ridiculous tax adventures and C) privatize Medicare?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Yup, he says stupid shit sometimes, but he's always genuine. The speech he gave over Memorial Day proves that.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/26/1095110/-Joe-Biden-s-speech-to-Military-Heroes

I think he's perfect for a job that doesn't really mean anything. Unless something happened to the President. Then, well, um.....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:35 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Anyone interested in starting a pool on when Joe Biden becomes a VP non-candidate?

Reason: needs more time with his family, health issues, needs a new hair transplant.

I'll miss him. He would be hilarious debating Paul Ryan.

John Henry

I'll bet you $100 straight up that he's still the VP candidate on election day.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:

I'll say Feingold. It'll be a cow country cage match.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 am

First of all these predictions of Obama, Biden, or Romney NOT being on the ticket in November that you keep making are ridiculous and do great damage to your credibility, of which you had little to begin with. It's just plain not gonna happen. not sure what would possess a person to think that it would. Secondly I would welcome a change. Not anything against Biden who is a straight shooter, blue collar likeable guy but an Obama-Hillary ticket would put this thing in the bag and lead towards a Hillary 2016 campaign that would be pretty tough to beat as well.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The GOP is getting desperate. They try to portrait Biden's "chains" remark as racist.

Shame on those wingnuts.

Like Doug Wilder. Democrat. Black. Former governor of Virginia. Highly offended by Biden's remarks, characterized them as racially offensive.

Oh, wait, he said that on Fox News.

Look!

A squirrel!

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

barney wrote:Yup, he says stupid shit sometimes, but he's always genuine.

From 1988:

"Why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university? ... Is it because our fathers and mothers were not bright? Is it because I'm the first Biden in ... generations to get a college and a graduate degree that I was smarter than the rest? ... Was it that they didn't work hard, my ancestors who worked in the coal mines of Northeast Pennsylvania and would come up after 12 hours and play football for four hours? ... It's because they didn't have a platform upon which to stand."

Change Biden for Kinnock and it is close to word for word a speech that British Labor leader Neil Kinnock had made previously.

So yeah, real genuine that Biden fellow.

For certain definitions of "genuine".

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 am

barney wrote:Yup, he says stupid shit sometimes, but he's always genuine.

In fairness to Biden, he did realize that what he said about chains was racially offensive and tried to walk it back later that same day.

"Biden later softened his rhetoric switching the words "chains" to "shackle" and criticized the Romney team for calling his comments "outrageous.""

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... C0df6PTTJk
John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:21 am

By the gods, I find myself agreeing with Fisti. Hillary aboard would give the Democrats their best chance to win. I'm leaning more towards their only chance to win. If a change is made, it might come earlier than most people think. Obama's schedule today:

"10:15AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing -Oval Office -Closed Press

10:45AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet with Secretary of State -Oval Office -Closed Press

12:30PM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet for lunch. Private Dining Room -Closed Press

But I digress into meaningless speculation. Sorry.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:44 am

fisticuffs wrote:First of all these predictions of Obama, Biden, or Romney NOT being on the ticket in November that you keep making are ridiculous

I am backing off from Romney prediction. If you will recall, I said it would depend on who he nominated. Most repo voters as well as party leaders seem happy with Ryan (Even if you and I may not be) Given that, I expect he will be nominated.

I still think that Biden will be off by November. Maybe as early as next weekend.

Obama will be the nominee but if he sees himself doing really badly, Mondale or McGovern level badly, I see a possibility of him giving up rather than going down with the ship. If he does, I now expect it to happen in October.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government