MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Romney y el voto hispano

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Romney y el voto hispano

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:24 pm

bdog wrote:Bush also links to this study which suggests that Marco Rubio (who?) would not have helped the Romney ticket.

Interesting article. Thanks.

I think we talked about Rubio in this regard before in another thread with more or less the same conclusion. Rubio might have helped win some additional votes from Cuban-Americans. Since they are already heavily Repo, it probably would not have represented too many additional votes.

Ditto the Puerto Rican community living in FL.

He would have done nothing positive with most Puerto Ricans elsewhere in the US. Wouldn't have gained any additional votes and might have cost a couple. Ditto the Mexican American vote.

Rubio identifies as Cuban (ethnically) Puerto Ricans and Mexicans identify as Puerto Rican and Mexican (ethnically) Very little in common among the three groups.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:30 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Just curious, is there any particular reason you prefer Latino?

The root of Hispanic, "one from the Iberian Peninsula," is simply inapplicable in most cases. It's a lot like calling Native Americans "Indian".
Latino is more sensitive and inclusive to all nationalities;
"one who speaks a language based in Latin."

johnfajardohenry wrote:Perhaps the demographic should be "Spanish-speaking", where they have Spanish as their primary language.

Good in theory, but unfortunately most people shorten that to simply calling everyone "Spanish".

As to bdog's original question, I would make a generalization (as one must do when talking of voting demographics), and I would say that immigration issues are paramount for Latinos, and Republicans have clearly defined their stance on that.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Dairylander wrote:Just curious, is there any particular reason you prefer Latino?

The root of Hispanic, "one from the Iberian Peninsula," is simply inapplicable in most cases. It's a lot like calling Native Americans "Indian".
Latino is more sensitive and inclusive to all nationalities;
"one who speaks a language based in Latin."[/quote]

So you would include French, Italians and Romanians in the "Latino" demographic?

Filipinos? Who may or may not be "Hispanic". (I have seen fairly convincing arguments both ways)

Not to mention doctors, lawyers and priests :)

I don't have a particular problem with Latino or Hispanic as words. Both are OK in very general terms but quickly fall apart on the most cursory examination of what they actually mean.

As we are seeing here where nobody can seem point to a common denominator other than language.

Dairylander wrote:As to bdog's original question, I would make a generalization (as one must do when talking of voting demographics), and I would say that immigration issues are paramount for Latinos, and Republicans have clearly defined their stance on that.

This is the problem with stereotyping a wildly diverse group as many try to do with the Hispanic/Latino label. It just ain't so.

For Puerto Ricans who reside in PR, immigration is not an issue at all. Puerto Ricans have the same immigration issues as Wisconsinites. That is, none whatsoever. Puerto Rican's citizenship is identical to Wisconsite's citizenship. Ditto Puerto Ricans who live in the upper 50.

To the extent that illegal immigration is an issue at all here, it is about keeping out the Dominicans from a few miles across the Mona passage.

Mexican illegals? Not a lot of sympathy, though not a lot of antipathy, for them. Basically a problem that does not concern us.

Ditto Cuban-Americans. Once they get "dry feet", on American soil (including in PR) they are automatically permanent legal immigrants. So they have their immigration issues already solved. If Repos are so bad on immigration, why would Cuban Americans strongly support them if they thought it was an important issue?

For Mexican Americans it may be an important issue but I suspect that the importance diminishes dramatically over generations. 1st gen born here may find it important because they don't want parents, aunts and uncles and so on deported. 2nd generation somewhat less and probably by 4th or 5th generation not at all.

So no, immigration is hardly an issue that unites Hispanics. It is a divisive issue. Please the Mexicans on it and you do nothing positive and may well alienate Puerto Ricans and Cubans. Or Vice-Versa.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Dairylander wrote:Republicans have clearly defined their stance on that.

So who would you recommend the Mexican-American voter support?

The Repos who, in a rather mealy mouthed way, discuss perhaps deporting illegals. Even though it is likely that if they had the power to do so they would not.

Or,

The Demmies who, led by Obama, have deported 25-30% of the total illegal population in the past 3-4 years? (3.5mm out of an estimated 12mm)?

Which would be more important in influencing your vote, words or actions?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government