MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama

Postby Meade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:FACT CHECK: Anti-Obama film muddy on facts[/url]

Easy way to fact check the fact checker: Read DREAMS FROM MY FATHER: A STORY OF RACE AND INHERITANCE by Barack Obama

Notice it's a story of "race and inheritance", not environment.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 am

Things aren't looking just the best for Obama right now;

http://thehill.com/conventions-2012/dem ... undeserved
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 am

Oh, my. Things are bad. Might as well stay home. Can't win. So depressed.

Oh dear.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Obama expands lead in three tracking polls

The president's lead over Republican challenger Mitt Romney has expanded in three daily tracking polls since his convention ended in Charlotte on Thursday night.

The Gallup tracking poll has Obama up 49%-45%.

Reuters/Ipsos gives the president a 47%-43% lead.

And Scott Rasmussen has Obama ahead of Romney, 46%-44%.

"The bump is actually happening. I know there was some debate whether it would happen ... but it's here," said Ipsos pollster Julia Clark, reports Reuters.

Looks like it's more than just Intrade that has Obama ahead.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

"Why Obama Should Resign" http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/150781/
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:47 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... slims.html

On Friday, U.S. courts spokeswoman Karen Redmond said the Office of Probation in the Central District of California was reviewing whether Nakoula, who has been convicted on bank fraud charges, violated terms of his probation in relation to the video and its uploading onto the Internet.

He had been ordered not to own or use devices with access to the Internet without approval from his probation officer -– and any approved computers were to be used for work only. "Defendant shall not access a computer for any other purpose," the terms read.

Restrictions were also placed on him enlisting others to get on the Internet for him.

If this man had not been brought in for questioning, I have no doubt you'd be calling for Obama's resignation for being soft on parole violators.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Bland wrote:If this man had not been brought in for questioning, I have no doubt you'd be calling for Obama's resignation for being soft on parole violators.

And you would be wrong.

Probation violations? Do you buy that? If so, why wasn't he arrested for those violations when he committed them - in June? This is clearly a case of the Feds, under Obama, violating the United States constitution - the first amendment. And why were they using a sheriff's department? Why did Obama not send federal marshals?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: hopefully soon out of Afghanistan.

So that's why Obama has basically doubled the troop level in Afghanistan over the past 3-1/2 years.

And our efforts there are going soooooo much better than before.

Right?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Meade wrote:Probation violations? Do you buy that? If so, why wasn't he arrested for those violations when he committed them - in June?

I am plenty concerned about the ham handed efforts of the Feds in this. Trying to get Google to take the video down, the Chairman of the JCS calling that pastor.

I can see the potential probation violation if he is forbidden from using a computer and he posted the film to YouTube. However, the first question to ask would be who actually posted the video. I doubt that making the film violated his probation. (From the little I know about the terms of his probation)

What I am really concerned about here is less that he is being questioned than that the press seems to have been notified that he would be taken in. Seems like this puts him as well as his neighbors in physical danger. Seems highly irresponsible.

Couldn't they have done this and then, after the questioning, told the press that they had questioned him and so on? Seems like simple common sense.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

One of the more worrying things is that there seem to be many people, perhaps some here on this forum, who think that it is OK to restrict speech if it hurts the feelings of Muslims.

This is America. We have the right to speech. We have the right to criticize Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other religion. We have the right to use offensive language about them.

If they are upset, tough shit.

That should be the attitude of all Americans, regardless of how they feel about what was actually said.

That should be the attitude of the US Govt though I would be OK if they put that the tough shit sentence in more diplomatic terms.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Meade wrote:Probation violations? Do you buy that?
Buy what, exactly?
My point was that your hyperbolic call for Obama's resignation has zero to do with the facts of the case and everything to do with your transparent partisanship. You invent reasons to be outraged no matter what the situation.

I mean really? You think a President should resign over the possibly unjustified harassment of one person? I don't care who it is, that's just stupid. Which former Presidents do you believe also should have resigned over such piffle?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm

One other thing I just realized:

The police came for the guy a bit after midnight.

Why?

The violations (if there were any) had been committed a few months ago. What was so urgent that it could not wait for Monday morning?

Why did the police need to take him in at all? Why could they not have just have called him and asked him to come in Monday morning?

Probably just a coincidence that the police wear brown shirts. I am sure it means nothing.

Wasn't there a song about this? Ahhhhh... yes, Phil Ochs, the darling of the 60's (I was an am a fan) and his song "The knock on the door"

"In many a time, in many a land,
With many a gun in many a hand,
They came by the night, they came by the day,
Came with their guns to take us away

With a knock on the door, knock on the door.
Here they come to take one more,
One more."
<snip>

http://youtu.be/PkFL5G3FC0M
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Bland wrote:
Meade wrote:I mean really? You think a President should resign over the possibly unjustified harassment of one person?

Most of the people I have seen calling for the Pres's resignation have been doing so not because they are appalled (as I am) at his trashing of the first Amendment.

Most have called for Hilary's and his resignation because they had credible intelligence that attacks were planned and DID NOTHING. Didn't even warn the embassies that they had this intelligence and they should perhaps be more careful than usual.

Four people died because of this.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:15 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Most have called for Hilary's and his resignation because they had credible intelligence that attacks were planned and DID NOTHING. Didn't even warn the embassies that they had this intelligence and they should perhaps be more careful than usual.

Four people died because of this.

John Henry

Have those people called for anything with respect to Rice, Cheney, and Bush, who we know had credible warnings in the security briefings of terrorist attacks using commercial airliners?

Thousands of people died because of that, and more still die every day.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Detritus wrote:Have those people called for anything with respect to Rice, Cheney, and Bush, who we know had credible warnings in the security briefings of terrorist attacks using commercial airliners?

As I recall, on 9/11 the reports were 4 years old and extremely vague. Something along the lines of "Someone may try to hijack a plane and crash it into a building somewhere."

In your considered wisdom, even in hindsight, what should Clinton and later Bush, have done in response to the "threat"?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government