MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

It's over.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

It's over.

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:07 pm

They've realized it's over and that they'll be dealing with Obama over the next 4 years and they better start acting accordingly now.

The telltale signs are mounting everywhere.

It's over.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: It's over.

Postby minicat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Gee, that story is completely different from the audio comments from McCain this morning on NPR, calling out Obama for a weak response. Yahoo news is either intentionally lying or sucking more than normal.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Yep. The singers are warming up....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:03 pm

minicat wrote:Gee, that story is completely different from the audio comments from McCain this morning on NPR, calling out Obama for a weak response. Yahoo news is either intentionally lying or sucking more than normal.

It was a horrible headline. I did see this article with this quote:

ABC News caught up with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who was happy to criticize President Obama’s foreign policy — just not his response to the attacks in Libya.
“As far as Libya is concerned, I see no — I think it was fine,” he said of the Obama administration response.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... -feckless/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm

I watched the interview video that was attached to to article. Even with the reporter trying to lead him into criticism of Romney's statement, McCain didn't say anything about it. His actually said something along the lines of "I haven't seen it yet, maybe I'll watch it later and form an opinion."

He did say he thought the initial response from the embassy in Cairo was a little weak, but that was about the totality of his commentary on the subject unless I missed something. I also noticed at least one point in the interview where it looked like something had been cut out.

McCain is old school enough to believe that politics stops at the water's edge. I can't imagine him being critical of the president's response while a situation is ongoing.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 pm

I bought Obama on InTrade yesterday around 60.

I agree, regardless of political affiliation I think its becoming obvious that Romney is toast.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

Caught an ad for Paul Ryan for congress during the game last night. Has he been running ads all along or did this just start?

edit: correction, the ad was I believe during the local(Milwaukee) Fox 6 pre-game show.
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Caught an ad for Paul Ryan for congress during the game last night. Has he been running ads all along or did this just start?

I think I read that they just started. Seems weird to have someone run for 2 different offices. I think it's a dumb rule that makes someone seem like their talking from two sides of their mouth.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Caught an ad for Paul Ryan for congress during the game last night. Has he been running ads all along or did this just start?

I think I read that they just started. Seems weird to have someone run for 2 different offices. I think it's a dumb rule that makes someone seem like their talking from two sides of their mouth.

Content wise, the ad was clearly aimed more at Obama then at Ryan's congressional challenger, so it's possible this is part of an overall strategy to help Romney in southern Wisconsin, but it does seem odd for the #2 man on the ticket to be actively campaigning for his old job at this point.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 am

Sen. Joe Lieberman ran for both vice president and senator in 2000. The hedge worked out well for him.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Sen. Joe Lieberman ran for both vice president and senator in 2000. The hedge worked out well for him.

I figured this would get mentioned. I think that was stupid as well. It makes a mockery of the system in my opinion. Granted the system is still pretty fucked up beyond that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Sen. Joe Lieberman ran for both vice president and senator in 2000. The hedge worked out well for him.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. I guess this isn't another sign of the Rompocalypse then.

Stebben84 wrote:I figured this would get mentioned. I think that was stupid as well. It makes a mockery of the system in my opinion. Granted the system is still pretty fucked up beyond that.

I don't disagree it's kind of silly, but doing otherwise would put Congressmen and women at a disadvantage compared to Senators, who only have a 1 in 3 chance of being up for re-election during a presidential campaign. It also give the representative's current constituents a chance to get the guy they really want if he happens to lose the bigger race.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I don't disagree it's kind of silly, but doing otherwise would put Congressmen and women at a disadvantage compared to Senators, who only have a 1 in 3 chance of being up for re-election during a presidential campaign. It also give the representative's current constituents a chance to get the guy they really want if he happens to lose the bigger race.

On the other hand, he would have to run again in two years anyway, so from that standpoint the risk is lower to a rep than a senator 1/3 of the time. Maybe if incumbents weren't allowed to use the office to ensure their own re-election they wouldn't be so worried about sitting out for two years.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government