MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama Coming to Town

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama Coming to Town

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am

Obama's last visit cost local taxpayers about $260,000. Madison police, who staffed the event with about 300 officers for security and crowd control, were hardest hit at a total of $185,543. That's up from about $117,000 for Obama's Nov. 4, 2009, visit to Wright Middle School.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 am

jman111 wrote:Did someone suggest that te University was "shutting down" for this event?
That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration (or an outright lie) to me.

Buildings around Bascom Mall will be closed and classes will be cancelled or rescheduled. Not "shut down"? What would you call it - a disruption?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 am

Meade wrote:
jman111 wrote:Did someone suggest that te University was "shutting down" for this event?
That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration (or an outright lie) to me.

Buildings around Bascom Mall will be closed and classes will be cancelled or rescheduled. Not "shut down"? What would you call it - a disruption?

I wonder, if a local grocery store was closing checkout register number 6 for an employee lunch break, would a reasonable person complain that they were "shutting down" the store?
When construction temporarily restricts access to a couple of miles of one lane of I-94, do moderates bemoan the "shutting down" of the interstate system?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Why doesn't Romney come speak to the public (for free) in Madison?

Maybe he will. When he's running for re-election in 4 years.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am

False (or is it lying?) equivalence, jman.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

In 2000, Al Gore came to town and the dais was set up right outside the Isthmus offices. I wandered in and out for most of the morning, snapping photos and chatting with other people who worked on this side of the Square. We kept hearing that various businesses around the Square (Walgreens, a bank or two) were being asked to close up and empty out, but nothing happened here. In the middle of the afternoon, a Secret Service agent came by, walked through the building and said that if anyone planned on leaving, they had to do so by a certain time, otherwise they'd have to stay put until after the speech. I think the idea was that the government didn't want to be involved in demanding that a newspaper close down for any reason.

Seems almost quaint now. I think Melissa Ethridge was the musical opener.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:40 am

UW News has a nice rundown of previous presidential visits:

http://www.news.wisc.edu/21107

It's incomplete, however. I remember the Clinton/Gore visit in 1992, when they spoke on the MLK Blvd. side of the Capitol and spent most of the day in town (Clinton addressed the state legislature while running in the primary in the Assembly chambers... IMAGINE THE OUTCRY!). They appeared on "Rock Line" that night (Remember Rock Line?) from the Memorial Union Theater and walked out to address a few hundred students who were waiting for them on the Terrace. Might have been more than a few hundred, but that's my recollection.

Again... sort of quaint by comparison. It wasn't even a planned event and they spoke off the cuff. In fact, since Clinton had spoken second earlier in the day at the Capitol, he introduced Gore on the Terrace and Al gave a barn-burner speech. I also recall that the two were wearing almost comically ill-fitting suits. Also, the crowd was chanting and clapping rhythmically and neither Clinton nor Gore could keep time when trying to clap along.

One of my favorite events during the '92 election was Jerry Brown speaking about the flat tax on the State Street Mall.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

I work in one of the buildings affected and can attest that no one here even has the straight scoop yet as to what will/won't be closed and/or off-limits and when. So how 'bout you just wait for this thing to pan-out before you commence to ass-flossin' with the BVDs there, Lawrence?

Meade's the guy who'd call up the principal to bitch because his kid got pulled out of kickball because he had to go see the President.

As the saying goes, "Democracy is messy." Now and then a few streets get closed so a guy can get out and about and see the country he's elected to lead. Quit pissing and whining.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 pm

According to the UW, buildings closed for the day on Thursday (7 am - 6 pm) include North and South Halls, Law School, Education, Music, Science. I didn't see Bascom listed and maybe that's because it's home to too many vital offices that need to be operating at all times. The hill will be closed all day, too, which means students who need to get to, say, Van Vleck or Social Sciences from the east would need to take a detour. Those who attend or have attended the UW can quickly understand the impact or lack of impact based on that small amount of info. If you're an engineering student who lives in Lakeshore, it's possible you won't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Personally, I can't understand how anyone, particularly those who have more than a passing interest in politics, wouldn't be thrilled by either candidate coming to town. When the president shows up in your city, it's pretty cool.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Meade wrote:
Obama's last visit cost local taxpayers about $260,000. Madison police, who staffed the event with about 300 officers for security and crowd control, were hardest hit at a total of $185,543. That's up from about $117,000 for Obama's Nov. 4, 2009, visit to Wright Middle School.

Welcome to every fucking city that hosts the president or a presidential candidate. Are you calling for the end of state to state campaigning or are you just grasping at something to complain about.

Maybe you can ride your bike around the area to taunt people. That would make for some riveting youtube videos.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Personally, I can't understand how anyone, particularly those who have more than a passing interest in politics, wouldn't be thrilled by either candidate coming to town. When the president shows up in your city, it's pretty cool.

It is. I agree. Unless and until you realize that you've been completely tooled.

And then pretty cool becomes just plain... pretty.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Meade wrote:

It is. I agree. Unless and until you realize that you've been completely tooled.

And then pretty cool becomes just plain... pretty.

speak for yourself.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Wow quite the zinger there...

Could everyone please stop quoting this dipshit?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Oh man - I knew that if I clicked on this thread, it wouldn't take long to get a prime dose of Meade outrage. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get some outraged web video about how the secret service won't let our favorite dink backstage.

Not gonna go to this but it sure does seem cool.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Also, do we need to point out that the UW has an obvious interest in hosting this event, as it's tons of free, national attention, generates prestige, etc.?

No. No we don't.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government