MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:If the corporation does not exist to maximize shareholder value (however defined and over long or short term etc) What, pray tell, does it exist for at all?

John Henry

Good question, let me give a whack at your strawman.

1) Corporations have been given power to protect and serve the interests of their collective of individual investors.
2) Any one corporations interests will not nessessarily align, nor should they, with what makes sense on average.
3) I think that this current authority unaccompanied by responsibility is what sticks in my craw, and is a source of irritation in our current discourse.

Any hew, that that's me just barking at the moon.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

The miracle of the free market:
The owner of Olive Garden and Red Lobster says it won't bump any full-time workers down to part-time status, after its tests aimed at limiting health care costs resulted in a publicity backlash that took a bite out of sales.

Additionally, he said that internal surveys showed both employee and customer satisfaction declined at restaurants where the tests were in place.

If your business is serving the public, maybe its not a good idea to act like a dick in public.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Some consumers may notice a “Universal Service” line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge. The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers.

So what are you saying, Stebben, that the govt does NOT subsidize phones to low income folks?

Surely Barbara Mikkelson can't be wrong when she says that they are, can she? After all, she is a Harvard grad. (In folklore, IIRC)

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Seriously, what the hell does a distinguished corporate law professor have on a distinguished refrigeration professor.

"There are some ideas that are so stupid only an intellectual can believe them."
George Orwell

And then there are the people who have so little thinking ability that they are unable to question something said by an intellectual.

Seriously, all you need is a 30 second search to turn up plenty of examples of stockholders suing corporation management for not working to increase shareholder value. You would also find a number of cases where they have won.

Now are you going to tell me that all those lawyers and judges are wrong? That they "cannot" (in the prof's words) do what they are doing every day?

Really?

As to distinguished refrigeration professor snark, 2 points:

I am a "professor" in the same way that Obama used to be a "professor" That is to say, not at all. We were both Adjunct Instructors/Lecturers. Professors are required to do scholarship and publish peer reviewed papers, among other things. Obama never has, AFAIK. (And yes, in case you want to know, I have published peer reviewed journal articles.)

More to the point, I have over 30 years teaching Business Management. I have more than a little experience teaching this very thing, management's obligations to shareholders.

But don't believe me. Do a search and see if you can find any examples of shareholders doing what Ms Harvard says they "can't" do. I already gave you one example and a link to a law firm that brags about how many cases they do along these lines. Surely someone like you can find more examples.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government