MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby Broadsheet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I guess I'm just saying that any business that gets rich off taxpayers has a special obligation not to add to the pain and social services burden of civil society if it can afford it. And Oshkosh Corp. can -- $300 million to repurchase its own stock (especially if it's to fend off hostile takeovers because it is so cash-rich) is obscene under these circumstances. Where is Republican Tom Petri's voice in all this damage to his district?
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Also Rabble it does look like some management is being laid off as well though it doesn't say that specifically. It looks like 50 managers and/or office personal are being laid off as well.
In a press release, the company said reduced U.S. Defense Department spending will require it to reduce its production workforce in Oshkosh from about 4,000 to 3,500. The company’s total Oshkosh workforce, including managers and office personnel, will be reduced from 4,500 to 4,000.

I figured. Supervisors, lowest level management. The guys who make hundreds of times more than the average worker are still fat and happy.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:38 pm

I am seeing a number of reports that companies are cutting back workers to 30 hours a week so the company doesn't fall under the Obamatax.

I've heard some say that these people will just work two jobs, say 20 hours at McD's and then 20 at the KFC next door. Seems like an enormous hassle to have to do that for both business and employee. The employee will likely miss out on other fringe benefits at both places, not being full time.

Worse, most hourly employees are covered by Federal overtime law and get paid time and a half for hours over 40. Now they will not hit 40 at either job and all work will be at straight time.

Back in the late 80's I was doing some work with a largish Italian machine builder. Probably a couple hundred employees total. In Italy at the time (still? Don't know) there was a separate set of labor laws for companies with less than 25 employees. So this company had the XYZ mothership incorporated in Lichtenstein and then had about 15 Italian "companies". Where a business would normally have an accounting department, they had XYZ Bookkeeping services. They had XYZ Welding, XYZ Electrical, XYZ engineering and so on.

Each was a separate corporation and if any got bigger than 25 people, they split it off. It was something of a hassle for the company but they saved a ton of money.

Under Obamatax there are certain things that don't kick in for businesses under 50 employees. I predict that in 2013 we will see companies splitting up into multiple, sub-50 employee companies.

There are lots of services that are already outsourced in many businesses such as maintenance, cleaning, payroll landscaping and so on. I suspect that this will become much more popular in the future.

I suspect that temporary services like Kelley, Manpower and the like will do well, too.

Well played, Obie. Well played.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, obviously labor laws will need to be rewritten to reflect new realities, but that will happen eventually.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am

I see the professor of refrigeration science is back.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 am

And he's shocked, shocked, that all those good citizen Republican business owners are using every dirty trick they can pull to stave off the inevitable, in much the same way the same people tried to stop segregation, mixed marriage, Women's suffrage, equal voting rights, and every other cultural shift.

Yup. That's shocking all right. And he calls the president Obie. That's how you can tell he wanted Barack to win.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:professor of refrigeration science

And air conditioning, Henry. Don't leave that out.

Hard to imagine anything cooler than refrigeration and air conditioning.

Unless...

It is my brand new textbook "Packaging Machinery Handbook".

After 6 years writing, it finally went live today on Amazon www.amzn.to/YhnwZU

Or, you can go to the book website and see accompanying videos as well as get a discount code for 20% off.

Kind of a specialized book for people in packaging but anyone who has basic curiosity about how things work will find it interesting.

And, since it will be used as a basic text at UW and WITC starting in January, it gives me a Wisconsin connection. So there's that.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm

peripat wrote:Yeah, obviously labor laws will need to be rewritten to reflect new realities, but that will happen eventually.

It will be interesting to see how that happens. I agree that the geniuses in DC and in the various states will try. I predict that every time they do it makes the situation worse.

For example, how do you handle the problem of overtime pay when a person works, say, 50 hours a week, but at 2 companies? Any suggestions?

If they cut the employee limit for Obamatax from 50 to 25 or 10 or whatever, companies will just split off into more and smaller sub companies.

And manufacturing automation will boom. The unskilled person now putting labels on a widget by hand will be replaced by a $20,000 labeling machine. The HS (or college) grad manually positioning steel sheets in a stamping machine will be replaced by a $60,000 automatic feeder.

And here I thought Obama had promised to bring back all these "good" manufacturing jobs that had gone overseas.

I guess that was another promise with an November 7 expiration date. (Not that Romney would have done any better. Both were talking out of their asses.)

Even service industries like McDonalds have become more and more automated. Pay attention to what goes on behind the counter next time you are there. Quasi-robotic beverage dispensers and deep friers are two of the more visible things you might notice. A typical McDonalds does about twice the volume with about half the labor hours that it did 15-20 years ago. I doubt that the staff works as hard doing it, either.

Yaskawa/Motoman, a leading robot maker, was demonstrating a robot yogurt kiosk at PackExpo last month. It took an audible order and served up various combinations of frozen yogurt, toppings and so on. Fully autonomous.

Pharmacies used to have pharmacists counting out prescriptions. Larger pharmacies, such as in hospitals, and mail order (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS etc) are now highly automated.

And so on.

Making it more difficult as well as more costly to have employees will only exacerbate these trends.

Trying to write laws to force people to hire is an exercise in futility. Not to mention horrendously inefficient for the country as a whole.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 pm

rabble wrote:And he's shocked, shocked, that all those good citizen Republican business owners are using every dirty trick they can pull to stave off the inevitable

No more surprised to see this than I was to see the sun set in the west earlier.

You say "dirty tricks"

What dirty tricks do you have in mind? I am assuming that the majority of democrat and republican and other business owners will obey all the laws. Or they may just decide to say "screw it" and close down (See Wonderbread/Twinkies for example)

How is that a dirty trick?

There may be some who violate the laws but I suspect that, as today, they will be in the minority.

And he calls the president Obie. That's how you can tell he wanted Barack to win.

Nope. I am glad Obama won. Scared shitless for the US, but glad. Romney would have been much worse. There is no fundamental difference in the policies either of them had in mind for the next 4 years.

I have no respect for Obama. I think he is in WAAAAYY over his head and has been since day 1. I have not seen this super intelligence that some claim for him. Or even his ability to give a speech, for the most part.

He is a fool.

How did you feel about Iraq? Supported Bush? Or perhaps not. So now we have troops in Jordan, of all places. Obama, supposedly, promised Israel that he was going to send troops to Gaza. That will end well, I am sure. (Yeah, its Debka reporting this but so far no denials by the US govt)

I supported Obama but I have never liked nor respected him. Still don't. He was just the best of 2 horrible alternatives.

Roll on 2016.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:And he's shocked, shocked, that all those good citizen Republican business owners are using every dirty trick they can pull to stave off the inevitable

No more surprised to see this than I was to see the sun set in the west earlier.

You say "dirty tricks"

What dirty tricks do you have in mind?

For once I agree with you, John Henry; it is not correct to call a complete lack of a moral compass a "dirty trick."
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 am

Oh, okay I get it now. I was defining it wrong.

It's not a dirty trick if it's legal. Glad we got that cleared up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 am

rabble wrote:Oh, okay I get it now. I was defining it wrong.

It's not a dirty trick if it's legal. Glad we got that cleared up.

Once again, rabble:

What do you mean by "dirty trick"?

Can you give some specific examples?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm

Dirty Tricks?

OMG! WHERE?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but does anyone have insight into this article re Meriter? It smells to me like they are preëmpemtively casting aside worthy employees by using the rationale of uncertain merit. Are they casting off senior management, as well? It just seems kind of hokey, on it's face.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government